Sign in to follow this  

The Forgotten Age in Cardgamedb

the survival knife looks like a potential reasonable substitution for the machete. In combination with the venturer it might be reasonable to run double 45s and double survival knife

30 minutes ago, awp832 said:

Good 'ol Reliable Liquid Courage....   Always there for me when I need it.

I was really hoping reliable would affect other investigators' token pulls. Was going to take reliable in a Carolyn Deck with Liquid Courage, but doesn't seem worth it now.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:18 AM, Raahk said:

the survival knife looks like a potential reasonable substitution for the machete. In combination with the venturer it might be reasonable to run double 45s and double survival knife

It's a cool dynamic, although it seems to get the most out of it you need to be taking attacks of opportunity or letting an enemy live through the investigator phase.  What kind of build would you put that in?  I'm thinking having the knife as a backup to get extra attacks in during the enemy phase would be really useful but I'd still prefer a machete as my go-to. 

7 hours ago, StormyWaters said:

It's a cool dynamic, although it seems to get the most out of it you need to be taking attacks of opportunity or letting an enemy live through the investigator phase.  What kind of build would you put that in?  I'm thinking having the knife as a backup to get extra attacks in during the enemy phase would be really useful but I'd still prefer a machete as my go-to.  

Another player is engaged with an enemy at your location, you take 2 actions and then engage it.  The other player goes takes his enemies and you kill it in the enemy phase.  Alternately another player can try to kill, fail, then you ensure you end your turn with it engaged with you.  Or you start your turn with two enemies engaged, kill one, then finish the other one off in the enemy phase.  I mostly play 4 player and situations where the guardian is trying to kill all the enemies as efficiently as possible happens a lot.

At the end of the day it would be best in a deck that can absorb a lot of hits.  Like if you had a ton of allies in your deck....

7 hours ago, StormyWaters said:

It would also be great if Calvin could take it. Unfortunately he can't unless you teamwork it to him.

22 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Another player is engaged with an enemy at your location, you take 2 actions and then engage it.  The other player goes takes his enemies and you kill it in the enemy phase.  Alternately another player can try to kill, fail, then you ensure you end your turn with it engaged with you.  Or you start your turn with two enemies engaged, kill one, then finish the other one off in the enemy phase.  I mostly play 4 player and situations where the guardian is trying to kill all the enemies as efficiently as possible happens a lot.

At the end of the day it would be best in a deck that can absorb a lot of hits.  Like if you had a ton of allies in your deck....

Or if you had the Armor of Ardennes

Just now, Soakman said:

Or if you had the Armor of Ardennes 

I feel your sanity would start to give out pretty quick.

It also combos nicely with Heroic Rescue and Taunt.

16 hours ago, Jobu said:

Right so in an ideal world you'd probably want this and something else like a machete or 45 so you're killing enemies in the investigator phase and enemy phase.  I'll definitely give it a shot and see how it does. 

46 minutes ago, StormyWaters said:

Right so in an ideal world you'd probably want this and something else like a machete or 45 so you're killing enemies in the investigator phase and enemy phase.  I'll definitely give it a shot and see how it does.  

Agreed.  A second weapon that always does +1 damage would be best, but you can limp a few turns with just the knife.  I will say this, most turns the knife won't matter.  The turns that it does matter will a significant swing in action efficiency.

The fact that it gives you what is effectively an extra action (with cost and limit) is huge.