Sign in to follow this  
NoZone

Questions about calculate

I haven't been able to find a clear description of what exactly the new token does.

From what I've read it functions like focus but only for one die at a time which seems bad.

Do we know if it really is just a worse version of focus?

I would guess that either you don't have to spend the token to use it or that it functions like the old calculate EPT turning a focus to a crit.

Also let me know if I forget anyone but I'm guessing this ability will be on IG-88, 4-LOM, Chopper, AP5, K-2SO, and Leebo. 

The Imperial conversion kit has a calculate token too but I can't imagine who for.

It's weaker than focus, but they said it's also more portable. Basically, if they do something akin to Attanni or Manaroo or Kaa'to, they will instead be droids who interact with calculate tokens.

0-0-0 and his friend who I've forgotten (the evil 3PO and R2) are imperial droids. Maybe crew. There's an Imperial Assassin Droid who flies a TIE Phantom in some lego youtube series.

3 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Do you get it free each turn? Or is it an action, but worse than Focus? If it's just worse, what's the point?

It appears to be an action. Ships that have Calculate won't also have Focus, so for them it's decent enough. Also, there will likely be some abilities that use it in interesting ways where focus wouldn't have worked.

7 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Do you get it free each turn? Or is it an action, but worse than Focus? If it's just worse, what's the point?

I think it's like a worse focus, and the point is meant to be that droids are cheaper and more efficient than humans, but less intelligent. Therefore, droids are less "swingy". The difference between a human who's carefully focusing on the task at hand and a human who's distracted is far greater than the difference between a carefully calculating droid and a droid who's distracted. 

I think it's been discussed by some of the custom card creators for a while that droids just shouldn't be allowed to focus. I know when I designed my custom Vulture Droids, I had them be immune to both Focus and Stress.

I can see it being pretty decent if there are more abilities like IG-88A where you can give your squad multiple tokens.

It wouldn't be surprising too if they made an astromech that can give you a calculate token when you do something specific.

The obscured part of IG-88A is:

Advanced Droid Brain: After you perform a Calculate action, gain 1 ____

One might assume IG can get an extra Calculate. Also, this Advanced Droid Brain text seems to be on the card in the same location as Advanced Targeting Computer on the TIE Advanced, so we could probably assume all the Aggressors are going to have the Advanced Droid Brain.

Also, a dev stated that when ionized, you do an blue 1-straight and can only focus. This was mentioned as a way to make droids more susceptible to ionization because they don’t have access to the focus action.

Edited by J1mBob
Added ATC similarity

You might be able to Calculate while stressed too, making droids less susceptible to stress. The Devs said they are a worse focus, but if you can get two calculate tokens, they are almost better as you can spend them on defense and offense. A lot of times you only convert 1 focus result anyway.

I love the thematic Ionization against droid pilots. Adds a nice touch.