Darth 2Face

What is your experience with other games switching to new editions?

On 5/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, Forgottenlore said:

Relatively on topic,

Games Workshop just announced a new edition for Age of Sigmar. The game was first released about 3 years ago. 

Technically, when it was first released it wasn't actually a "game".  That would imply there were "rules" and the ability to "play".

Really, it was just an excercise in copyright protection.

6 hours ago, NulEnvoid said:

I do get what you are saying, it's not as easy as they make out, but I'm not so sure it's as hard as is made out either. 

I am more familiar with 40k and know that AoS now is different
But I see the next Edition of AoS to become more like 40k regarding structure and availability of rules (the free core rules pdf with the needed scenarios and rules for matched play in the printed book only)
And faction rules or special abilities are already in the Codex or Battledome (for 40k, you need to buy a 30$ upgrade to your 25$ Index just to get 2 pages of rules for special abilities, everything else is just Copy&Paste or available for free)

and no it is not that hard to make out, but for the same reason people don't need to buy more than one conversion kit for X-Wing either.

I just don't expect AoS to become anything but a typical GW game

On 5/11/2018 at 12:45 PM, Micanthropyre said:

The only real change I went through was DnD Minis 1.0 to 2.0, and it killed the game.

The changes they made were logical, but the way they went about doing it was what killed it. The switch happened when they were transitioning to DnD 4.0, so they made the combat rules the same (which of course changed pretty much everything). What they did wrong was that they didn't release changes to the older models even close to on time. 

It was a total nightmare. New models you bought had only 2.0 cards, but 2.0 stats for older models were nowhere to be found. You either had to buy all new stuff to play 2.0, or you had to leave your new stuff on the shelf to play your older models.

I stopped playing before they fixed it, if they ever did.

This was my experience as well. I have hundreds of DDM models sitting in tackle boxes in a big tackle bag, waiting for the day when some fairy will wave a magic wand and make them playable again.

This is WAY better by comparison.

15 hours ago, Kodos said:

I am more familiar with 40k and know that AoS now is different
But I see the next Edition of AoS to become more like 40k regarding structure and availability of rules (the free core rules pdf with the needed scenarios and rules for matched play in the printed book only)
And faction rules or special abilities are already in the Codex or Battledome (for 40k, you need to buy a 30$ upgrade to your 25$ Index just to get 2 pages of rules for special abilities, everything else is just Copy&Paste or available for free)

and no it is not that hard to make out, but for the same reason people don't need to buy more than one conversion kit for X-Wing either.

I just don't expect AoS to become anything but a typical GW game

I’d dispute that, I have a moderately small collection and will require two conversion kits. 

As for the GW stuff, I can only say my experiences have been better than yours, more friendly, with free stuff and cheaper. So I guess we just leave it at that.