Ravenhull

Would you want any (more) Clone War era ships available for Empire or Rebels?

18 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Star wars is a binary choice rebels =good empire=evil, when you make the rebels into space isis you make the empire into the space usa.

And I can't root for isis.

It might have been intended as such, but all of that kinda falls apart as soon as you move away from the OT and you start seeing bits and pieces of the Republic the Rebel Alliance is trying to restore. 

31 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

It might have been intended as such, but all of that kinda falls apart as soon as you move away from the OT and you start seeing bits and pieces of the Republic the Rebel Alliance is trying to restore. 

Or if you apply even the slightest bit of critical thought to the setting. You can’t successfully prosecute an asymmetrical conflict like the Rebels vs the Empire without getting your hands dirty sometimes. Rogue One illustrated that nicely.

Even regarding the OT, there were, I think, suggestions from Lucas that there was an element of "Rebels are a hybrid of civil war fighters and VietCong (with Ewoks being the most VietCong-ish element), Empire are USA at its worst".

So, "Empire as space USA" is not a new thing. 

There's lots of real-life inspirations for the Empire, though, not just the US. Rome and the French Empire (with Palpatine as Julius Caesar or Napoleon).

Or Nazi Germany, with Palpatine as Space Hitler, and the Rebels as "Space Resistance" . The name "Partisans" has a strong association with that era.

Edited by Ironlord

4 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Or if you apply even the slightest bit of critical thought to the setting. You can’t successfully prosecute an asymmetrical conflict like the Rebels vs the Empire without getting your hands dirty sometimes. Rogue One illustrated that nicely.

And that’s why Cassian Andor is one of my all time favorite SW characters. Idealism, all well and good, but sometimes you need to make compromises and hard choices.

Alright boys, here it is. The official movie ranking:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Rogue One

Attack of the Clones

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

On 5/7/2018 at 11:56 AM, Ravenhull said:

I am assuming that if we get Clone War factions (likely Republic vs CIS), how would you react to there being included in some of the ship packs pilots that are for Rebel and Imperial factions?  Kinda like how the Scum bomber has one Rebel pilot in it.

There is canon precedent, in Tarkin, Vader was still flying his (painted black) Jedi starfighter from then end of the Clone Wars.  And there is the post Endor set comic that has Leia and Poe’s mom visiting Naboo, and having to jump in some old Naboo starfighters.  

Just some thoughts.  I know some weren’t happy to have that one Rebel pilot in the Scum pack.  But it could be some fun flavor, and I like the possibility of a ship piloted by Liea. 

Yes. A thousand times yes. I don't care what anyone says, I like the prequels and their era and their ships. If FFG puts them in the game I'll fly 'em with glee.

13 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Star wars is a binary choice rebels =good empire=evil, when you make the rebels into space isis you make the empire into the space usa.

That sounds pretty spot on what George Lucas was thinking about the empire. ?

Edited by SEApocalypse

1 hour ago, Varyag said:

Alright boys, here it is. The official movie ranking:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Rogue One

Attack of the Clones

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

No way.

Official ranking is:

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

I actually think age has a lot to do with it. I grew up with the OT, but I've noticed a lot of fans younger than me who grew up with the prequels are a lot more forgiving of their (many, and grievous) sins. A lot of people (bizarrely, IMO) rank Revenge of the Sith as their favourite Star Wars movie. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

I only rank Return of the Jedi so highly because it was my favourite as a kid, and that final duel between Vader and Luke is a truly breathtaking piece of cinema. To this day I get goosebumps when Luke screams "NEVER!" and comes out swinging that lightsaber, all finesse and control thrown to the wind, and you can practically hear the galaxy holding it's breath as it waits to see if he will succumb to the Dark side. For that scene alone I elevate it to the best Star Wars movie.

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

I actually think age has a lot to do with it. I grew up with the OT, but I've noticed a lot of fans younger than me who grew up with the prequels are a lot more forgiving of their (many, and grievous) sins. A lot of people (bizarrely, IMO) rank Revenge of the Sith as their favourite Star Wars movie. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

Count me as one who thinks ROTS is the best, and I'm far from the only one.  I've seen polls where ROTS has topped TESB as the favorite sw film.

Such an amazing film, and (IMO) the only sw film with no major weaknesses.

1 hour ago, markcsoul said:

Count me as one who thinks ROTS is the best, and I'm far from the only one.  I've seen polls where ROTS has topped TESB as the favorite sw film.

Such an amazing film, and (IMO) the only sw film with no major weaknesses.

I could spend half an hour tearing your favourite movie to pieces, but you know what? You like it and that's all that matters. It's all Star Wars and we all love it :)

Revenge of the Sith is literally the only Star Wars movie that I could not bear to watch a second time. Everything else has gotten at least a second view. This may be a generational thing, as I grew up with the OT as a staple of the ol' video library, and was in my teens when the prequels started coming out. I do think RotS a better movie than AotC, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it and frankly that ain't much.

My list:

1a) The Empire Strikes Back

1b) A New Hope

3) Return of the Jedi (agree w/ @Chucknuckle re: the final duel, one of the most powerful scenes in all of Star Wars)

4) the first act of The Force Awakens

5) all the Rey stuff in The Last Jedi

6) Rogue One

9) the rest of TFA

10) the rest of TLJ

78) The Phantom Menace

204) Revenge of the Sith

33531) that other one

(For those who are wondering (hi there!) I actually do have a 7 and 8, and they are the various Clone Warses. I've never seen Rebels so it is not represented on this chart. On balance I'd have to say that, as whole movies, Rogue One was better that The Force Awakens, but by itself the first act of TFA is far and away the best Star Wars stuff made after 1983.)

Well, since everyone else is doing this:

1. Empire
2. ANH
3. ROTS

4.ROTJ

5. The Clone Wars

6.AotC

7.TPM

8. TFA

9. Watching Paint dry

10. Staring into space

11. Watching a 7 year old play with Star Wars action figures

987. TLJ

8 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

1. Empire
2. ANH
3. ROTS

4.ROTJ

5. The Clone Wars

6.AotC

7.TPM

8. TFA

9. Watching Paint dry

10. Staring into space

987. TLJ

Ouch. I actually quite liked TLJ.

I would like to see some more Clone War era ships. I actually would like Republic and CIS factions to be added.

There was a recent system open where someone ran an ARC, a Sheathipede-class, and 3 Z-95's and did fairly well with it. I was impressed since that effectively is a Clone War list except for the pilots; I was thinking of trying something like that using the Clone War era models you can get from some places online.

Cross faction ships are still a thing with the Y-Wing, TIE Fighter and Z-95s, so no reason it can't continue.

Edited by kris40k

Give us Clone Wars factions! Haha

Also to throw my two cents in politically. Which should never be done in a game haha. But basically any side can be any modern real life representation depending how you swing it. Thrawn and to a lesser extent Palpatine were just trying to unify the galaxy to protect it from the real threat, the Vong. So really they are the good guys hahaha.

Also I'm a veteran and one time my fellow war vet friend and I were watching Rogue One and it was the scene where Saw's forces ambushed the Imperial convoy on Jedha. And after watching their tactics for a few minutes he said to me "Aw shoot I guess that means we were the Empire." Hahaha

10 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

1. Empire
2. ANH
3. ROTS

4.ROTJ

5. The Clone Wars

6.AotC

7.TPM

8. TFA

9. Watching Paint dry

10. Staring into space

987. TLJ

No the correct order is:

1) empire

2) jedi

3) hope

Because there have only ever been three films.

3 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Ouch. I actually quite liked TLJ.

57 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

No the correct order is:

1) empire

2) jedi

3) hope

Because there have only ever been three films.

To each their own.  I very much enjoyed the prequels, but have hated the ST.

Yeah, that's the good thing about Star Wars is, IMO, it's big enough that we can all like different parts of it. I absolutely loathe the "true" Star Wars fans that think their way is the only way of enjoying the movies. You know the ones, that fall into a screeching fit if you mention that you like something they didn't like, that fill FB pages with huge rants about Kathleen Kennedy of Rian Johnson ruining Star Wars or whatever.

It's like, ok, you didn't like the movie. Other people did, so just chill out about it would you?

22 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

No way.

Official ranking is:

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

I only rank Return of the Jedi so highly because it was my favourite as a kid, and that final duel between Vader and Luke is a truly breathtaking piece of cinema. To this day I get goosebumps when Luke screams "NEVER!" and comes out swinging that lightsaber, all finesse and control thrown to the wind, and you can practically hear the galaxy holding it's breath as it waits to see if he will succumb to the Dark side. For that scene alone I elevate it to the best Star Wars movie.

I would rank Return of the Jedi a lot higher, but the Ewok silliness just kills the movie for me. I do quite like Episodes II and III. The only good thing from Episode I though is the duel of the fates.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:44 AM, LordBlades said:

Well I think they were trying to restore the Republic more in a sense of bringing back democracy rather than the corrupt cesspool that the Republic was. Its kind of funny how the EU sort of had a more hopeful, hard work to make New Republic while the ST just gave us the inept corrupt Republic again.

And because this has now become a ranking of the films.

1. A New Hope - Classic and has always been my favorite of them, just love the Battle of Yavin

2. Empire Strikes Back - Easily a better movie than a New Hope but the first is just so classic for me.

3. Return of the Jedi - don't really love all the Jabba stuff, just feels really disconnected to the rest of the film aside from rescuing Solo, but thats just me nitpicking. Also wish they included some of the cut scenes with Moff Jerjerrod

4. Rogue One - If it had stronger 1st and second acts it would be higher, but that third act does at least finish the film out on a high note.

5.  The Phantom Menace - Nostalgia, don't care for Jar Jar or for how long the Pod Race sequence but do really like that three/four pronged battle climax.

6. The Force Awakens - Not my favorite, don't care for the plot rehash of ANH but I really do love Rey's introduction on Jakku and enjoyed Finn and Poe playing off eachother. 

7. Revenge of the Sith - A better film than Phantom Menace, really strong scenes throughout but the script/direction given to the actor makes pretty much everything with Anakin fall flat for me. 

8. Clone Wars - Yes, this counts it was released theatrically and yes I saw it there. Like most of Season 1 of Clone Wars it is pretty weak but luckily the show obviously get much better later on. 

9. Attack of the Clones - A big contender for my least favorite if not for Ewan's bits.

10. The Last Jedi - Dislike a whole bunch there, some good acting especially from Mark but ugh the whole Hyperspace thing rubbed me the wrong way among an number of other issues.

Edited by Animewarsdude