Barry Harker

2.0 Card Size, Reduces your Space on the Gaming Table

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, But......

Like many out there.

Me and many Friends play large Games 200,300, 600 point games.

While we have been looking through and researching the new upgrade.

One thing I noticed was the card size of the Modification cards.

They are as big as the pilot cards.

That's a lot of reduced space in the play area when your setting up your cards !

It is odd as to why the Mod cards have doubled in size.

they look nice.........but surely it makes it more difficult with regards to laying out your game.

It will be interesting to see how things go once its all released in September.

All the best,

Barry.

The store I play at has limited space and this is a concern.

Also some stores have zero space along the front of the mat and you have to share the sides with the players next to you.

Also...also...doing some sort of a sleeve page holder thingy is going to be problematic. 

Especially with l these new tokens that flip over and stay near the cards .

Hmmmmm

Hey Barry!

There's actually been some amount of talk about this. What's interesting to note is that they usually get stacked in such a way that the grey part of the card goes under the other cards on the table. In the long run, they take up a very similar amount of space.

The pilot cards are 2.5 by 3.5 inches, whereas the upgrade cards are 1.625 by 2.5 inches. When stacked properly, the new upgrades take up 1.75 by 2.5 inches, so just slightly wider than the old ones. I think the difference will end up being pretty negligible. 

Interesting choice by FFG, and I assume it was to make storage easier. It does mean I'll have a lot of wasted small-size binder pages and sleeves though. 

Cheers! 

Some of the stores near me have very limited space. They were already massively cramped with v1. I’m sure we will adapt and overcome. I’m mostly just mourning my ability to put lists in an ultra-pro mini with room for a pilot card and 6 upgrades. 

What is the current median number of upgrades per ship?  3?  5?  I honestly don't know but it's probably fairly high.  Second edition should be cutting that number down considerably.  And since we are talking about approximately a 3% increase in table space per upgrade card, I think we'll be OK.

1.) Card stack under pilot card, as mentioned

2.) Less cards to fiddle with due to redesign

Know how the X needs servos, refit, AND integrated?

Now it's just servos 

Hopefully we don't end up with silliness like the 8 card SCURRG, fun as it was 

Edited by ficklegreendice

The nice part of the new upgrade cards is it gives them significantly more space for actual mechanics. All of the list-building parts have been offloaded to either the app or the grey area that goes under the pilot cards. It will let them be a bit more specific on the card since they don't need to waste two lines of text for things like, "HWK-290 ONLY. MODIFICATION. CANNOT EQUIP IF THE MOON IS IN GEMINI."

Edited by PhantomFO

31 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Interesting choice by FFG, and I assume it was to make storage easier. It does mean I'll have a lot of wasted small-size binder pages and sleeves though. 

Me too, I have 200 smal card sleeves.

On the plus side it frees them up for the damage deck

I dunno, these X-Wings currently require a refit, an s-foil, and an integrated astromech just to put on the table. those 3 cards have become one card. A TIE Advanced requires a title and a system. Those have become zero cards. Captain Nym currently takes up half the table with his upgrades. Hopefully that will be down to 4 cards or so in 2.0.

I can see how they work, and they are definitely going to take up more lateral space, with reduced options for avoiding this.

Not a deal breaker, but a step back from 1.0 in this regard.

4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

My issue is that I like to arrange upgrades in a way that makes sense to me, this new format denies me that ability. I either have to set them up in one line, or take up A LOT more space. 

You can still probably line them up in multiple configurations. They're sideways, which means they're just as tall as the small upgrades, so you'll have room for two rows of them. 

A lot of the card bloat will be gone in 2.0, so instead of many "auto include" cards for titles and multiple modifications (autothursters, guidance chips, etc.) a lot of the clutter should be eliminated for the majority of the 60+ ships available.

-------------------------------------------------------

Having said that, I don't know if this will be of use to anyone, but I made a template of sorts for "carrying" the new cards and keeping them arranged for each ship build in your list. Maybe it will add to the clutter, but I have a similar template that I use for 1.0 that has proven pretty handy.

Print it out on card stock and cut down the center. Using a hobby knife, cut a straight line on the corners so you can slip the card into the slits. I hope it's self explanatory enough.  Also, to secure the cards even further, you may partially cut out one or both of the yellow trapezoids.

There's room above each upgrade card for charge tokens too.

UBtxs7h.png

3 hours ago, DailyRich said:

Define irony:  a poster concerned about table space who posts each sentence as a single line with a space between each one... ?

Since the New Forum was set up was introduced there is now defined spacing between each sentence.

as there is now !

I have no control over how Asomonde/FFG choose to define there text parameters, Of course I could just do what you and ramble on about complete and utter useless bullsh**  when people are trying to just have a general conversation about something that might arise in game play

Oh Look, Due to me rambling and not using the return key at the end of my sentence, there are two lines of text in relative space to each other.

How's that for Irony ! :P

52 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

A lot of the card bloat will be gone in 2.0, so instead of many "auto include" cards for titles and multiple modifications (autothursters, guidance chips, etc.) a lot of the clutter should be eliminated for the majority of the 60+ ships available.

-------------------------------------------------------

Having said that, I don't know if this will be of use to anyone, but I made a template of sorts for "carrying" the new cards and keeping them arranged for each ship build in your list. Maybe it will add to the clutter, but I have a similar template that I use for 1.0 that has proven pretty handy.

Print it out on card stock and cut down the center. Using a hobby knife, cut a straight line on the corners so you can slip the card into the slits. I hope it's self explanatory enough.  Also, to secure the cards even further, you may partially cut out one or both of the yellow trapezoids.

There's room above each upgrade card for charge tokens too.

UBtxs7h.png

Those look well thought out Force.

I guess the way me and my friends Lay out our cards for game play is different to how FFG intends the new cards to be used,

As others have suggested, Over laying one side of a card onto another.

If we move over to 2.0, just requires a different way of setting up.

Time will tell once we all start play testing to see how everything works, not just simple card setup.

All the best,

Barry.