Sign in to follow this  
retoxidi

Totally new player here, what to get? :O

Hello!

I've been semi-interested in X-Wing from time to time, but haven't gotten into that boat for some reason. But now that the 2nd edition is coming, my spider senses started to tingle once again!

But with all the conversion kits and stuff I'm a bit lost because I have zero collection and zero knowledge about anything. There is a deal I could get in my country now for two 1st edition starter sets for 50 euros. That is a fair price imo, but would that purchase still be reasonable? Like I'd get two sets of dice and the six ships included. But yet again I would still have to buy the conversion kits after their release?

Argh! Or is it just best to wait for the launch and start investing from ground zero in individual ships and stuff? I mean the new x-wings have adjusting wings for god's sake! 

Adjustable wings!

If you are starting fresh I would say just wait until 2.0 comes out and start with a  core set and go from there.  FFG is trying to make it so you can stick to one faction as well so you won't have to buy ships you may never fly just for a single upgrade card.

By waiting you won't have to mess with the conversion kits.

Preorder a starter, first move. 1st edition starters are not going to be worth much past padding components like dice and rocks. Nothing else in there will do you any good outside a conversion kit or physical adaption. You can buy ships but be aware you will have to pay again to convert them.

Edited by LordFajubi

This is a tough question...

If you want to go all out on first edition ships and then get the conversion kits then sure...

However if you only want to get 1 or 2 first edition things then i would say hold off until 2.0.... you can always start with the Saws renegades pack (2x) of those should get you some kind of list to play that's 2.0 compatible as well and see if you can borrow all the supplies until 2.0 comes out.

Personally, if you were local to me I would advise you to just borrow anything you want to play from other players so you can have fun now and then start at 2.0. At least where I am there would be tons of people that would gladly bring a list and components for you to play with.

Here's the breakdown...

If you are starting into the game small then wait for the new stuff.

If you intend to get into the game in a big way then its ultimately cheaper to get a bunch of stuff  that's out now and a conversion kit later. 

You must do what you feel is right of course....

Just now, Hobojebus said:

However prices are going up so I'm not sure what's cheaper buying in 2.0 or buying now and getting the conversion pack.

It honestly depends on the deal you can find for all the 1.0 stuff. 50 euro for two 1.0 core sets doesn't sound like a good deal since you will have to shell out additional monies for the conversion kits.

Now, if it were 50 euro for like 300 or 500 worth of stuff then yeah.

Your conversion kits you would have to buy will have a lot of stuff you won't be able to use, unless you can find more 1.0 stuff for cheap.

Just my take on it.

You maybe able to get a substantial 1.0 collection off Ebay for a decent price. There are some that are jumping overboard after the 2.0 announcement and selling all their stuff. That could be a potentially economical way to go and then buy a conversion kit or two.

Otherwise if budget is a concern, I would honestly just stand tight and buy the 2.0 starter and a couple of expansion packs when it comes out. You can always supplement your collection with 1.0 stuff still on the shelves and convert them if you really want to expand your collection quickly. FFG has stated that they are going to have an aggressive release schedule for 2.0 to fill out the ship ranks quickly for all the 1.0 ships already out.

Edited by Jo Jo

Just now, Jo Jo said:

You maybe able to get a substantial 1.0 collection off Ebay for a decent price. There are some that are jumping overboard after the 2.0 announcement. That could be a potentially economical way to go and then buy a conversion kit or two.

For the ships I agree but do not, I repeat do not, spend money on 1st edition starters unless you have the cash to burn.

1.0 had the problem that you had to buy some ships just for the cards. I'm new as well and see the conversion kit as a solution to this. I'm buying the imperial conversion kit, a core set, and then I'm free to buy any ship I want to run, since I'll have all the upgrade cards I need and such. You might consider doing that

Edited by RafaelNN
Grammar

I second the "wait" suggestion.  Going off the salt levels on this board, people are going to be dumping collections.  Buy a decent collection of ships 2nd hand then a conversion kit or two.

And honestly, the "conversion" kit is pretty amazing for what you get.  Imagine if you are brand new and own nothing in the game.  $50 kit and you now can field several hundred worth of expansion packs, just without the models.  Run it with just the bases and cards casually.  Then round out models as you find things you like.  ****, you get Palpatine in the conversion kit which was only available in an $80 Epic ship previously.  The "catchup" value in 2.0 is insane.  It's easily the cheapest way to get into the game.  

3 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I feel bad for retailers for once. The ships can sell but yeah what hobo said is going to happen 1st ed starters are going to be lepers in a discount bin.

Don't feel bad.  2.0 is a goldmine.  For even modest players, we are looking at dropping $150+ on new stuff.  Many people will be spending double that.  I don't think any retailers are crying over this announcement.

Edited by viedit

I'm pretty frugal and grew my collection over time.  If I were starting new into the game I would find out from your local gaming store(s) when their x-wing night is, head up there, and look for someone to teach you 1.0 and basics of the game.

Pre-order the 2.0 Starter kit.

Then you have decisions to make.  The 2.0 will allow you to pick and play only 1 faction.  (That wasn't an option in 1.0 and I wanted the variety so I set out to collect 1 of everything in 1.0, still missing 2 expansions).

How much money are you willing  to put into this game?  If I were starting again I would ease in and probably (because you are starting into a game with essentially 14 waves of ships) pick 1 faction that sounds the most interesting and start there.  Being cost conscious, I might try to pick up 1 of each ship in the faction of choices conversion kit from 1.0 and buy that factions conversion kit and take advantage of possible reduction in cost.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Cr0aker

5 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I feel bad for retailers for once. The ships can sell but yeah what hobo said is going to happen 1st ed starters are going to be lepers in a discount bin.

I am impressed you know of a retailer with a ton of stock... I only know of one store with any kind of stock available they have all been having a huge problem getting in enough stock.

Was at a regionals where the store had 5 ships on the shelf.

Just now, Icelom said:

I am impressed you know of a retailer with a ton of stock... I only know of one store with any kind of stock available they have all been having a huge problem getting in enough stock.

Was at a regionals where the store had 5 ships on the shelf.

Just conjecture on my part, but I assume FFG has been throttling new prints and inventory for a while to bleed out 1.0 inventory and make way for 2.0 content.  They also have had some distributor shakeups and inventory distribution has been a mixed bag on a store to store basis depending on distributor.  

1 minute ago, viedit said:

Just conjecture on my part, but I assume FFG has been throttling new prints and inventory for a while to bleed out 1.0 inventory and make way for 2.0 content.  They also have had some distributor shakeups and inventory distribution has been a mixed bag on a store to store basis depending on distributor.  

I agree I was just quoting someone who was feeling bad for all the stock stores were going to have to dump.... was surprised he knew of a bunch of stock.

I am in in same boat as original poster... but let my inpatient kid side through... and bought both starters ( three ships and utilities each), then picked up rebel and empire aces... y wing and advanced tie ..... this will give me a starting set to learn the game a little and get flow.. while waiting for 2.0.... at release will get both conversions and core.... figured 7 ships for empire worth the conversion... and the 5 ( might get falcon) would be an ok sized pill to swallow  financially in long run... 

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

Here's the breakdown...

If you are starting into the game small then wait for the new stuff.

If you intend to get into the game in a big way then its ultimately cheaper to get a bunch of stuff  that's out now and a conversion kit later. 

You must do what you feel is right of course....

This is pretty much it. When the 2nd Ed. game releases you'll have three ship options for Rebels and Imperials and two possibly three options for Scum if the Y-wing is both Rebel and Scum.

If you can find a good deal on a 1st Ed. collection you can get the conversion kit or kits and have far more options at the outset as well as lots of stuff to play NOW. This is the big thing about waiting and just going the 2nd Ed route. You'll have to wait for all the goodies to be released. 

It depends on your budget. It depends on your patience. It depends on whether you want to go big or just have Luke and Wedge chase down Darth and a couple of wingmen.  

I just looked up the current exchange rate and two 1st Ed. starters (even if one of each version of the starter) for 50 euros does not sound like a good deal at this point but I also don't know what regular price is where you're at.  

Edited by Frimmel

The absolute best value is probably going to be buying someone's larger collection on ebay, then getting 2.0 conversion kits as needed.  You could also just wait and buy all the 2.0 re-releases new if that's your thing, or you want to slowly build your collection with smaller money investments over time.

I definitely would not start buying current X-wing products at base MSRP or even the online retailer discounted prices knowing that 2.0 is on the horizon, unless you plan to just stick with 1.0

Edited by Effenhoog

What I would NOT do is wait until September to start playing.  1st Ed is a solid game, the flaws only show up strongly when you know what you're doing.  Get a core set and pick ONE FACTION...that way when you do have to convert in 5 months, it won't hurt much.  And remember the Rebellion/Resistance is about to split, and Empire/First Order is about to split.  So pick one of those and have some fun with it.  That choice will also tell you which core set to pick up.  And remember that Boba Fett is Empire AND Scum for now, but will be Scum only in 2.0.  So if you're going Empire, don't buy Slave I.

So, just to pick one as an example, let's say I want to play original trilogy Rebellion.  I'd buy a red core set, a separate X Wing blister, and an original trilogy Falcon.  That gives you an easy 100 points with a few options.  Then from there tell me - what's your favorite ship from that era?  You like A-Wings?  Buy an A Wing and a Rebel Aces.  You like Y Wings?  Buy one or two of them.  Like the "Rebels" cartoons?  Get a Ghost and Sabine's TIE. 

Just keep an eye on what's included in one of those conversion kits, and don't buy more of something than what's in the kit.  That kit will have everything you need to get into 2nd ed. and then some.  Then you can trade off any extras you have from that to friends who have bigger collections than you and get more ships! :)