Timathius

New OP announcements

So at the same time 2.0 was announced OP announced massive changes in organized play. I admittedly wasn’t on the forums much after it but I haven’t seen much discussion on it. And I figured the front page could do with a thread that isn’t complaining about 2.0 prices or complaining about people complaining about 2.0.

For reference 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/xwing-second-edition-organized-play/

i think it sounds great so far. Though I do kind of like the current store champs-regionals-nationals-worlds. But I realize the limitations there. Also, huge making worlds invite only. 

From the TO side I really hope people can submit squad lists through the app in a way that can be read by TTT or Cryodex. But will be happy if they can be submitted at all, cutting out the need to check lists. 

Also events being able to push special rules out for the event directly to the event sounds amazing. 

All in all I’m really excited for the possibilities here. I just really hope that the next quarterly kit and Store champs give us some nice 2.0 ready swag. 

How do you lot feel 

Well, personally I'm still waiting to hear more about the European Championships, which is now just over 4 weeks away.  The event is pretty much sold out and set for around 500 players, but we still haven't had a single article about it from FFG.

As a whole though, the changes to OP are definitely interesting, and the possibilities from app means we could well see more themed events as well, so it all sounds very promising.

I posted in the Krayt thread when the format was announced for Legion, and again when it was confirmed for X-wing.

The invite-only approach to World will make store champs (Hyperspace trials) more competitive. They're pretending the qualifiers are Regional-equivalent, but when every store can have one, a Regional it is not.

For the casual series, I can only speak to our local meta, but a few more toxicly competitive players can turn Leagues into something entirely not as fun for the casual players. It's nice that they're formalizing what many local groups have been doing for years now, and providing prize support for it, though.

3 hours ago, Timathius said:

From the TO side I really hope people can submit squad lists through the app in a way that can be read by TTT or Cryodex. But will be happy if they can be submitted at all, cutting out the need to check lists. 

This is something I've been curious and concerned with. I really want to see the app and tournament management software... Hands on testing so that I can run events.

7 minutes ago, drjkel said:

I posted in the Krayt thread when the format was announced for Legion, and again when it was confirmed for X-wing.

The invite-only approach to World will make store champs (Hyperspace trials) more competitive. They're pretending the qualifiers are Regional-equivalent, but when every store can have one, a Regional it is not.

For the casual series, I can only speak to our local meta, but a few more toxicly competitive players can turn Leagues into something entirely not as fun for the casual players. It's nice that they're formalizing what many local groups have been doing for years now, and providing prize support for it, though.

I agree, but with there being alt formats and such available and easy to enforce/ normalized. It should curb uber meta players at casual events. 

9 minutes ago, Timathius said:

I agree, but with there being alt formats and such available and easy to enforce/ normalized. It should curb uber meta players at casual events. 

If only you were right. I had a player bring a sensor jammer IG-B with a Mangler cannon and thrusters, supported by TLT Palob and Harpoon N'Dru to a tournament where the lists were supposed to be randomly generated (run Fab's twice, pick one of the 6 lists). Let me just tell you that that list felt random to no one. The same player ran PoeRey against a newcomer to X-wing in our League (he won 100-0, I was shocked), despite a clear no sniping rules.

I am so glad I gave my TO spot to someone else last week and announced that my son and I will stay 1.0 for the foreseeable future. You don't need very many toxic players to screw up a casual environment.

And to be clear, I have nothing against being competitive, but there are situations where that obviously wasn't the goal and players should pick up on the hints (or plainly stated rules...).

37 minutes ago, Timathius said:

A good, win-oriented player, will still curbstomp casuals regardless of list. 

Statistics, dial knowledge, eyeballing maneuvers, anticipating your opponent's moves are all skills that will give a competitive player the edge regardless of list. 

58 minutes ago, drjkel said:

If only you were right. I had a player bring a sensor jammer IG-B with a Mangler cannon and thrusters, supported by TLT Palob and Harpoon N'Dru to a tournament where the lists were supposed to be randomly generated (run Fab's twice, pick one of the 6 lists). Let me just tell you that that list felt random to no one. The same player ran PoeRey against a newcomer to X-wing in our League (he won 100-0, I was shocked), despite a clear no sniping rules.

I am so glad I gave my TO spot to someone else last week and announced that my son and I will stay 1.0 for the foreseeable future. You don't need very many toxic players to screw up a casual environment.

And to be clear, I have nothing against being competitive, but there are situations where that obviously wasn't the goal and players should pick up on the hints (or plainly stated rules...).

How did you codify no sniping rules?  I'm genuinely curious as to how these rules were worded and enforced.

I for one am I little confused about the new OP for X Wing.  Lemme see if I get it straight.

Seasonal Kit - Formally known as OP Kits.  Recurring starting Dec18.  Supports 3 events per "season."  Special challenge prize to be completed as well.  So it sounds like they're just selling OP kits in 3 packs now, perhaps with something else to suppose that special challenge (A second participation thing?)

Deluxe Wave Kit - Formally known as "Store Championship." Accompanies each new wave of ships (this is supposedly a very aggressive schedule, so much greater than 1/year, thus the quotes around formally "SC").  Comes with patronage cards to reward FLGS X Wing purchases.  Winner of Deluxe Wave Kit = Wave Champion.

Deluxe Wave Kit pt. 2&3 - Release celebration using Quick Build Cards.  Thematic Event featuring tailored squad building pool.  "Points" from performances will go towards being "Wave Leader" which comes with special prize.

Hyperspace Trials - Formally "Regionals."  Realistically these are formally store championships, but happen twice a year.  Every retailer will be able to get one.  There will be two periods per year, March-June, Sept-Dec.  

Hyperspace Cups - Select number of HSTs will be selected to be HSCs.  Cups will come with additional prizes and offer a "similar experience to Nationals."  These sound like the new regionals.

System Opens - These will continue to exist, and will be tied into standard OP more.  No further details provided.

Hyperspace events (Trials or Cups?  Does not state if both) & System Opens will qualify players for Worlds.

TL:DR, expect nationals to be converted to Hyperspace cups and/or system opens.  And now you get two sets of OP kits to host events throughout the year.  And two sets of store championships.  Net result, kinda a dilution in everything.  If we assume 3 waves/yr in their "aggressive" release schedule, that means you have 4 different seasonal kits, all designed for 3 events (12 events), you have 3 deluxe wave events, all with 3 events (9 events), and two hyperspace trials/cups (2 events) for each store that participates in it.  That means 23 events/year at a single store.  Every other weekend :).  

9 minutes ago, Khyros said:

Okay, so there are two periods of hyperspace play, but a store may only participate once?

From the article, it sounds like each store can run two per year, once for each period. Certain stores can be upgraded to Cups that will have additional prize support, but both qualify for Worlds. It sounds like stores that got Regionals in the past will get the Cups since it is probably based on how many players a store can host.

2 hours ago, LordBlades said:

A good, win-oriented player, will still curbstomp casuals regardless of list. 

Statistics, dial knowledge, eyeballing maneuvers, anticipating your opponent's moves are all skills that will give a competitive player the edge regardless of list. 

That is utter crap. 

You seem to equate casual with no skill. 

I've beaten the snot out of a lot of good tournament players who try missions and such.  

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

That is utter crap. 

You seem to equate casual with no skill. 

I've beaten the snot out of a lot of good tournament players who try missions and such.  

Fair enough; I should have defined casual better. What I understand by 'casual', based on my own local sample of casual players: a guy that wants to have fun pushing some Star Wars ships around the table and rolling some dice, unconcerned by the finer aspects of the game. The kind of guy that wouldn't be aware and/or bother to calculate for example that 3 dice with a Focus/TL are slightly better than 4 naked dice so taking a Focus is a better option than boosting into range 1. Similarly, in my view a casual isn't the kind of guy that would spend time learning the dials of ships he never plays. 

32 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

Fair enough; I should have defined casual better. What I understand by 'casual', based on my own local sample of casual players: a guy that wants to have fun pushing some Star Wars ships around the table and rolling some dice, unconcerned by the finer aspects of the game. The kind of guy that wouldn't be aware and/or bother to calculate for example that 3 dice with a Focus/TL are slightly better than 4 naked dice so taking a Focus is a better option than boosting into range 1. Similarly, in my view a casual isn't the kind of guy that would spend time learning the dials of ships he never plays. 

That is a subset of casual, but not the majority of casual.  There are a lot of good players that just like something more than 100/6.  I got burnt out on 100/6 and prefer missions, objectives, story driven stuff, or even limited list building over 100/6.

10 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

That is a subset of casual, but not the majority of casual.  There are a lot of good players that just like something more than 100/6.  I got burnt out on 100/6 and prefer missions, objectives, story driven stuff, or even limited list building over 100/6.

I've been seriously casual for well over a year, only playing in monthly tournaments I TO. Even before that, the most I've done was 2 events in a month (one nightly and one weekend day). I don't go out to X-wing nights, because I have 3 kids and only one of them plays, and still manage to do quite well. Practice is also something I avoid, otherwise the list becomes boring to me. I'm not a textbook competitive player I guess, but I do love solving the puzzles and am successful at it, generally.

Members of my community have already taken to calling me the "kitchen table player" to highlight that in the whole "us v. them" thing about jumping into 2e, we're not on the same side. It's super endearing (not). I got burnt out on salty players, personally, so 2e isn't fixing my issues with the game.

And, for the record, the proper reaction to a long-term member of your community leaving is "That sucks, but if it makes you happy, we're happy for you! We'd also be more than happy to have you back if you change your mind!"

As for @LordBlades's comment, I remarked in the Krayt thread that the better players are generally more fun to play against, at least in our area. They whine less, they don't blame their dice, and they just offer a better challenge overall. They are the ones I'll miss most. The super casual ones, who play for theme and don't care about results, are second on my list, it was fun to just be silly. It's the middle players that care too much about their results that I'm happy I won't have to deal with anymore, they made a hobby feel like a job.

2 hours ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

How did you codify no sniping rules?  I'm genuinely curious as to how these rules were worded and enforced.

We, the Bytown Smugglers, codified it this way: 

“Cherrypicking” (purposefully seeking out weaker opponents) is against the rules, as well as poor sportsmanship. We in the BSL foster a challenging learning environment and encourage all players seek out difficult opponents and to challenge themselves to improve and evolve their game. We also have several new faces joining us this season, if a more seasoned player should meet them in game play, please be helpful in improving their game play (trigger reminders…etc…)

Very much inspired by the PTL's: 

“Cherrypicking” (purposefully seeking out weaker opponents) is against the rules, as well as poor sportsmanship. We in the PTL foster a challenging learning environment and encourage all players seek out difficult opponents and to challenge themselves to improve and evolve their game.

The PTL has enforced theirs, and have instituted end of league tournaments to, hopefully, weed out cherrypickers. We have not, but this is our first season with that rule. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again, I keep seeking out the bests, because I care more about getting better than winning, so my experience is obviously not representative.

4 hours ago, Khyros said:

I for one am I little confused about the new OP for X Wing.  Lemme see if I get it straight.

Seasonal Kit - Formally known as OP Kits.  Recurring starting Dec18.  Supports 3 events per "season."  Special challenge prize to be completed as well.  So it sounds like they're just selling OP kits in 3 packs now, perhaps with something else to suppose that special challenge (A second participation thing?)

Deluxe Wave Kit - Formally known as "Store Championship." Accompanies each new wave of ships (this is supposedly a very aggressive schedule, so much greater than 1/year, thus the quotes around formally "SC").  Comes with patronage cards to reward FLGS X Wing purchases.  Winner of Deluxe Wave Kit = Wave Champion.

Deluxe Wave Kit pt. 2&3 - Release celebration using Quick Build Cards.  Thematic Event featuring tailored squad building pool.  "Points" from performances will go towards being "Wave Leader" which comes with special prize.

Hyperspace Trials - Formally "Regionals."  Realistically these are formally store championships, but happen twice a year.  Every retailer will be able to get one.  There will be two periods per year, March-June, Sept-Dec.  

Hyperspace Cups - Select number of HSTs will be selected to be HSCs.  Cups will come with additional prizes and offer a "similar experience to Nationals."  These sound like the new regionals.

System Opens - These will continue to exist, and will be tied into standard OP more.  No further details provided.

Hyperspace events (Trials or Cups?  Does not state if both) & System Opens will qualify players for Worlds.

TL:DR, expect nationals to be converted to Hyperspace cups and/or system opens.  And now you get two sets of OP kits to host events throughout the year.  And two sets of store championships.  Net result, kinda a dilution in everything.  If we assume 3 waves/yr in their "aggressive" release schedule, that means you have 4 different seasonal kits, all designed for 3 events (12 events), you have 3 deluxe wave events, all with 3 events (9 events), and two hyperspace trials/cups (2 events) for each store that participates in it.  That means 23 events/year at a single store.  Every other weekend :).  

I am not sure EVERY retailer will be able to get a trial, it reads to me like they will need to hit a threshold of space to be able to get one. 

11 minutes ago, Timathius said:

I am not sure EVERY retailer will be able to get a trial, it reads to me like they will need to hit a threshold of space to be able to get one. 

At the very least, I bet that there are many stores in NOVA that will be able to get one. Only one or two I can think of that may not be able to handle the requirements unless they are really high.