Vontoothskie

Man people are really nasty on here if you arent converting

So in the last 3 days i've seen more people posting blatant lies, personal attacks, jabs about poverty, braggings about their own wealth, demands I buy a phone they like, that we share their opinions precisely etc. than I've seen in a long time

really some of the most immature garbage.   Why are all these people crying that other people don't think conversion is a good investment? why do they care so much about FFGs profit margin?   why do they care if i purchase the type of cell phone they want?  Why is it soooo important that we conform to their needs?   like did this page get taken over by those incel misogynist cult dudes all the sudden? 

Im watching this unfold in the hopes that FFG realises they are losing thousands of players/customers and offers more reasonable options, but if this community is what the game is about, it might be better to be involved.  

The appropriate response to players leaving is to consider whats turning them away, not to yell at them about what a great deal it is to buy the thing they don't want to buy and insist they are a piece of **** for not purchasing the product

Anyway there have been some great posts on this board... peoples sweet paint jobs, custom game types, fan made pilots/upgrades, and a general celebration of this game and how fun it is.  its a shame to see so many people descend into vitriol for no reason at all

Edited by Vontoothskie
typo

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Is there some kind of new thread coupon I don't know about?

Do you get a free kit after making enough?

Lol i've made a dozen threads over 3 years.  but sure.  

FFG said when X-wing 3.0 launches in january 2019 that I get a free copy, but only if one of my posts warms your cold heart, because they know those green dice have been cruel to you. 

Ill just keep posting and you can let me know when one moves you. 

I think the issue is that it’s happening, no matter what, and a lot of us are really, REALLY excited. It’s easy to get upset when someone else doesn’t seem to grasp why this is a great move that benefits nearly everyone. It’s kind of like you are spitting in the special sauce that, while not free, is going to make everything taste SO. MUCH. BETTER.

vontoothskie, I’m sorry that not owning a smartphone brings about a major frustration for you as that is a major aspect and selling point of 2.0, and I can accept that is frustrating.

But having said that, FFG made the decision and it’s done. And while I do not think they have the worlds greatest marketing department, they are smart enough to recognize the majority of their player base (and I would even go as far as to assume a large majority) own the components to enjoy the game with the app installed to a smart device. If this is incorrect, then they deserve to sit and watch this be a massive failure for making such a poor decision.

But I have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t incorrect. And this won’t be a failure. It will likely be quite the contrary.

28 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I think the issue is that it’s happening, no matter what, and a lot of us are really, REALLY excited. It’s easy to get upset when someone else doesn’t seem to grasp why this is a great move that benefits nearly everyone. It’s kind of like you are spitting in the special sauce that, while not free, is going to make everything taste SO. MUCH. BETTER.

vontoothskie, I’m sorry that not owning a smartphone brings about a major frustration for you as that is a major aspect and selling point of 2.0, and I can accept that is frustrating.

But having said that, FFG made the decision and it’s done. And while I do not think they have the worlds greatest marketing department, they are smart enough to recognize the majority of their player base (and I would even go as far as to assume a large majority) own the components to enjoy the game with the app installed to a smart device. If this is incorrect, then they deserve to sit and watch this be a massive failure for making such a poor decision.

But I have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t incorrect. And this won’t be a failure. It will likely be quite the contrary.

I appreciate your rational statement and civility.  3 things though:

1st) I own a smartphone. i dont get why people keep bringing this up, but its weird.  this is a board game, i'm not using my phone. I literally play this game to get away from computers for a bit, so not using an app. every aspect of this game would be better, honestly is better on a computer where the processor can track and compute details in real time... but we play miniature games because they are physical games we can touch and paint and play together socially. requiring a computer ruins that experience for me. anyway the app being required is dumb when vassal is the free to play computer version of x-wing. if you like digital just play that

2nd) the people upset such as myself love the game and most of us really, really wanted 2.0.  like we've been on this board every week since the jumpmaster launched asking for changes and when the game finally got too busted we just wanted a whole new game.  Im delighted at the rules changes.  genuinely pumped.  that is right until i realised that they were selling each conversion at such an extreme markup and they we not including a sensible number of components.   Now im heartbroken that I will likely have to give up the game because of the way they've handled this. 

3rd) Oh im sure it will sell well. and X-wing 3rd edition will probably sell well. but eventually FFG will have a name as dirty as Games-Workshop and have to change their tune.  Games Workshop almost went bankrupt, and now they have surveys asking if they suck and why when you go to their website.  It would be cool to see FFG just avoid that entirely

Edited by Vontoothskie
reasons

I've still yet to hear anyone offer a better alternative to the conversion packs offered by FFG.  V2 isn't just for existing players; it's also going meant for new people too.  So there has to be a balance between assisting existing players get up to scratch and making it open enough for new players to join.

Many of those complaining act as if FFG owes them precisely the right amount of stuff to convert their existing collections, and at a pittance too.  Both assumptions are unreasonable.  FFG is a business and I think it's struck a good balance between bringing existing players up to speed and making a new game (because it is a new game) available to new players.

I've also strong doubts about how many of those apparently quitting will actually follow through. 

@Vontoothskie I’ve suggested to @Darth Meanie that he set up a 1.0 continuation community and you obviously feel strongly about 1.0 as the sith lord does so maybe you two could start working together.  

What you need to refrain from is trying to convince everyone they are stupid for investing in 2.0... by saying FFG is ripping us off you are telling us we are all chumps.  And I’m not saying the responses you’ve had are defensible either but please try and understand you are also making inflammatory statements, intentionally or not.

May the Force by with you  

The app is not compulsory, you can keep your phone ( mine is on sailfish.os ). Remember you still have your game, nobody take your miniatures away. I don't even own a complete collection of my faction and I consider a good deal 50€ for the v2 where All the ship i own would be playable without huge handicap. What I hate is to spend 16€ for ONE card ( eg.autothusters  or harpoon)

Obviously I would like it could be cheaper , but i have buy the punisher so I know what is a bad deal.

Old player will quite, new will comes, who care, we will always play with the same old friends we have played since we get the core set.

V2 is a choice. homebrew rules is another, and for free, so now you can understand some forum user are fed up with the complains.

Maybe its just you won't shut up about it? and make absurd comments like you have to purchase a total of 6 conversion kits to convert your 34 ship collection?

You refuse to listen to anyone's suggestions to help reduce your burden. (like splitting kits and using the secondary market) And just keep repeating you need 6x conversion kits.

And mostly you just won't shut up about it.

I suggest if you can’t afford to play 2.0 st launch to just stick with 1.0 buy say just the core box set first just to get a foot into the door read the rules try a few challenge ratting games...

new ships being released won’t be 1.0 compatible so instead of buying your new ship buy 1 Expansion, sure you will be behind for a while but atleast your not bankrupt and playing x wing the way you want

This is an expensive hobby. Not as expensive as some other games but still expensive.

Furthermore, the conversion kits are not much more expensive than some of the Ace sets that have been sold to us over the years but by any objective measure contain vastly more content. You’re actually getting a lot of value out of them. 

For those not converting to 2nd Ed, good on you. Your money, your choice, and I respect that. Me? I'm converting to 2.0 ASAP. Upgrading is costing me $162 for a new core set and one each of the conversion kits (20% discount at my FLGS for preordering), plus 3 of the resculpt Silencers when they come out. Do I have a problem with this change? None whatsoever. I enjoy playing X-Wing (especially since I found the Quickdraw with 2 PS4 Silencer list - man that is a stronk list) and want to continue to do so. I am a former Warhammer 40k player and, when that game changed editions, I wish it only took $162 to get 3 different factions up and running in a new edition of 40k.

3 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

So in the last 3 days i've seen more people posting blatant lies, personal attacks, jabs about poverty, braggings about their own wealth, demands I buy a phone they like, that we share their opinions precisely etc. than I've seen in a long time

really some of the most immature garbage.   Why are all these people crying that other people don't think conversion is a good investment? why do they care so much about FFGs profit margin?   why do they care if i purchase the type of cell phone they want?  Why is it soooo important that we conform to their needs?   like did this page get taken over by those incel misogynist cult dudes all the sudden? 

Im watching this unfold in the hopes that FFG realises they are losing thousands of players/customers and offers more reasonable options, but if this community is what the game is about, it might be better to be involved.  

The appropriate response to players leaving is to consider whats turning them away, not to yell at them about what a great deal it is to buy the thing they don't want to buy and insist they are a piece of **** for not purchasing the product

Anyway there have been some great posts on this board... peoples sweet paint jobs, custom game types, fan made pilots/upgrades, and a general celebration of this game and how fun it is.  its a shame to see so many people descend into vitriol for no reason at all

I think you have to make peace with and understand the real situation here.  The vast majority of the X-Wing fan base loves X-Wing, but they recognize that in its current state its irreversibly broken as a game, a situation that has created a tremendous amount of frustration at competitive and casual events alike and taken a lot of the steam out of the fun and joy of the game.  A situation that FFG has recognized, acknowledged and taken steps to repair for their fan base so that we can get back to the business of playing the game without a 25 page FAQ's that not only address half of the problems and makes the game waaaaay to complicated,  effectively re-wording the vast majority of the printed cards making tracking everything a pain in the butt.

FFG has solved this by providing conversion kits of all printed material, created a way to make it easier for them to maintain the balance of the game my leveraging modern tech (digital tools) and committed themselves to maintaining X-Wing as a game for years to come.  To come to a fan forum and piss all over that effort because you will have to spend a couple of hundred bucks to convert and download an app is pretty insulting and so no, I would not expect a particularly warm reception from the vast majority of fans who have been waiting for FFG to get their **** together and fix our favorite game for far too long.  Its a complete lack of recognition of the facts behind the new edition and a total lack of understanding of why its so vital that they do this.  

59 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

What, all 6 of them?

It's more like those of us who quit will stay quit, rather than actively quitting. While some degree of polarization was kind of expected as everyone's excitement and disappointment were at their peak, I'm saddened both by the lack of concessions by FFG and the community ******** on those who say $100+core to update a TIE swarm is unreasonable.

I decided to give up X-Wing several months ago after struggling to enjoy the game for a while before that. 

I had a full collection of at least one of every expansion up to that point and two or more of the vast majority of them, but I couldn’t face splitting it all up and the hassle that would go with selling it. Nor did I just want it gathering dust and taking up space and so I gave it all away to a friend who was still playing so that he’d have a complete set and would get some enjoyment from it. 

I had no regrets at all until Tuesday’s announcement but I’m now super excited for the game again. 

So when it launches in September and I’m no doubt buying from scratch again and you’re all begrudgingly paying for those Conversion Kits just think how it could be a lot lot worse.