HolySorcerer

TIE Phantoms are now 3/2/3/2

16 hours ago, nexttwelveexits said:

Honestly it's probably for the best. 

4 dice primary for any ship is, IMO, a mistake. 4+ attack dice should be rare and have some kind of drawback, like munitions or HLC.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

If it ain't cheap as chips and dealing extra facedown cards, it ain't Poons

It is, however, homing missiles

And we all remember how OP bombers were when they launched with those...oh wait 

Plus now it's much harder to get full mods and I highly HIGHLY doubt gchips are coming back. 2.0 is Gonna need a support vessel or the force (fortunately, Palp is both :)

I think your problem is more with chips than poons.  Poons wouldn't have been nearly as bad is chips didn't exist (or LRS for that matter), and it was forced to be single-modded.  The facedown damage card was equivalent to an extra damage against most ships (or better), with only regen taking it to be worse.  Overall, I generally think most 2.0 ordinance is going to be closer to poons than it may first appear, as they were basically the only viable ordinance.

2 hours ago, garciaj113 said:

Is anyone keeping track of many Imperial threads are complaining their stuff is underpowered in 2.0. This is honestly getting out of hand, every single time I see one of these threads I just have to log off of the forums for the rest of the day due to how idiotic these threads are, we do not even know the points costs, slots, or accompanying upgrade cards. 

Nobody is complaining that it is underpowered, just that it lost some of what made it special.  If Whisper comes out at 30 points she will be super OP, power isn't the real discussion is, the stat change is, as it fundamentally changes the role that the craft serves.

To me, it honestly looks like a great idea.  Phantoms paid a lot for that 4th red die, and don't get me wrong: they hit hard.  However, being as low-HP and with as low natural agility as they had, they were incredibly squishy.  Meanwhile, the high cost kinda locked a Phantom out of having the rest of their squad be full strength.  Hopefully, the 3 reds rather than 4 will translate to a lower-price point, and we'll potentially be able to see Phantoms doing Phantom things in a way which actually fits into other normal squads.

As a thought-experiment: if the regular Phantom was a 3/2/3/2, but cost about 8-9 points lower fully built, I think it'd probably be at least as good a ship in the current 1.0 metagame, if not better.  I'd totally experiment with a Phantom title "-4 points. Reduce your attack value by 1, and increase your hull value by 1. Reduce the cost of all upgrades by 1, to a minimum of zero."  Whisper with VI, FCS, Intelligence Agent, and Advanced Cloaking Device would be (32 - 4 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 3) = 32 points.  One point more than the Inquisitor or the same as a PS 4 TIE Silencer.

I guess it comes down to this: I like the style of a Phantom, but the 4 red dice means they cost too much when they don't work properly.  I'd rather lose the 4th die and have more points in the rest of my squad.

11 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

To me, it honestly looks like a great idea.  Phantoms paid a lot for that 4th red die, and don't get me wrong: they hit hard.  However, being as low-HP and with as low natural agility as they had, they were incredibly squishy.  Meanwhile, the high cost kinda locked a Phantom out of having the rest of their squad be full strength.  Hopefully, the 3 reds rather than 4 will translate to a lower-price point, and we'll potentially be able to see Phantoms doing Phantom things in a way which actually fits into other normal squads.

As a thought-experiment: if the regular Phantom was a 3/2/3/2, but cost about 8-9 points lower fully built, I think it'd probably be at least as good a ship in the current 1.0 metagame, if not better.  I'd totally experiment with a Phantom title "-4 points. Reduce your attack value by 1, and increase your hull value by 1. Reduce the cost of all upgrades by 1, to a minimum of zero."  Whisper with VI, FCS, Intelligence Agent, and Advanced Cloaking Device would be (32 - 4 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 3) = 32 points.  One point more than the Inquisitor or the same as a PS 4 TIE Silencer.

I guess it comes down to this: I like the style of a Phantom, but the 4 red dice means they cost too much when they don't work properly.  I'd rather lose the 4th die and have more points in the rest of my squad.

The big question is ACD.  Without that the cloak is nothing more than a fancy extra maneuver.  You have to decloak before anyone gets the chance to fire, and you cannot recloak until after everyone has already fired.  The phantom needs upgrade options that make cloak more interesting.

Cloak was always just a fancy manuever 

Though with ACD it really just became +2 agi

With new Stygium you effectively stay cloaked so long as you don't have to evade. So you stay cloaked if the enemy doesn't find and shoot you

If he does, you'll have to find a safe spot to try and cloak again

This is far more thematic, interesting and fun than just "oh you shoot before me, guess I'm ******"

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Cloak was always just a fancy manuever 

Though with ACD it really just became +2 agi

With new Stygium you effectively stay cloaked so long as you don't have to evade. So you stay cloaked if the enemy doesn't find and shoot you

If he does, you'll have to find a safe spot to try and cloak again

This is far more thematic, interesting and fun than just "oh you shoot before me, guess I'm ******"

So, what worth more: 4 green dices or 2 green dices with evade?