Jump to content
HolySorcerer

TIE Phantoms are now 3/2/3/2

Recommended Posts

So the Phantoms have lost their heavy firepower and likely lost the ability to recloak immediately after firing.  This makes them less swingy, but less special as well.  Presumably this will come with a big price reduction, as Whisper and Echo lose a lot of value with only 3-attack.  Is there still a home for a 3 attack die phantom in your squads?  How cheap do they need to be to be make them worth taking?

 

swz07_a1_empire_spread.png

swz07_a1_cardfan.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly it's probably for the best. The Phantom ship design was both high power AND hard to shoot, and the cloaking mechanic suffered for it. It looks like they're getting rid of the mechanic that forces you to shoot first or explode, so hopefully cloaking will be healthier and more intuitive all around.

Just now, LagJanson said:

I fail to see the attack start... Where's the red number?

You can see it through the hole in the cardboard base in the first picture. Although I guess it could technically be 8...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nexttwelveexits said:

You can see it through the hole in the cardboard base in the first picture. Although I guess it could technically be 8...

Oh there it is... That's really tucked in there, but definitely a 3... no way they'd put an 8!

In fairness, it's probably for the best for the game balance. I would expect these things to be a fair bit cheaper now though, unless cloak has changed yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nexttwelveexits said:

Honestly it's probably for the best. The Phantom ship design was both high power AND hard to shoot, and the cloaking mechanic suffered for it. It looks like they're getting rid of the mechanic that forces you to shoot first or explode, so hopefully cloaking will be healthier and more intuitive all around.

You can see it through the hole in the cardboard base in the first picture. Although I guess it could technically be 8...

Cloaking rules haven't changed, so you're still a soft 2 agility TIE when out of cloak.  You're a much lower priority target, but the reduction in attack value and inability to target lock really hurts the offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're coming out of cloak with a free evade

If you've dodged your opponent's fire without having to use that evade, you get to cloak (again for free)

The new Stygium what'sit  is great. A 3 die phantom is going to be aokay and not something that can be ignored 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

You're coming out of cloak with a free evade

If you've dodged your opponent's fire without having to use that evade, you get to cloak (again for free)

A 3 die phantom is going to be aokay and not something that can be ignored 

An evade token on a 2 agility ship.  It will be easy to push damage through on that.  These had better be cheap now, as their offense and defense took a pretty big hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

An evade token on a 2 agility ship.  It will be easy to push damage through on that.  These had better be cheap now, as their offense and defense took a pretty big hit.

Everything is easy to put damage through on in this edition (in theory and hopefully) but a free token is rare in 2.0 and therefore super valuable

Assuming decloak remains the same + lack of turrets = well played phantoms will kick ***

Course I also believe they should be around pre-fix 1.0 xwing prices because their statline is the same, but I also think they got tons of potential

Defense has actually been greatly improved though, or do they not play ps > 9 where you're at? 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

An evade token on a 2 agility ship.  It will be easy to push damage through on that.  These had better be cheap now, as their offense and defense took a pretty big hit.

Depends what their mod options are. Because if they aren't using mod slot on cloaking upgrades...

Well, I can think of a 1.0 mod that would go great there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ficklegreendice said:

Everything is easy to put damage through on in this edition (in theory and hopefully) but a free token is rare in 2.0 and therefore super valuable

Assuming decloak remains the same + lack of turrets = well played phantoms will kick ***

Course I also believe they should be around pre-fix 1.0 xwing prices because they're statline is the same, but I also think they got tons of potential

They've said on stream that the only change to cloaking is that the decloak takes place in the new Systems phase.  I was hoping for a defensive buff, i.e. dropping locks while cloaked, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New stygium array cloaking mechanic with spending unused evade tokens to cloak seems quite fun. The agi seems to be still 2, because it does not look like a 3 on that card. Not a fan of that. PS 5 is problematic as well. Let's hope for Echo and PS 5 at least for her as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SEApocalypse said:

New stygium array cloaking mechanic with spending unused evade tokens to cloak seems quite fun. The agi seems to be still 2, because it does not look like a 3 on that card. Not a fan of that. PS 5 is problematic as well. Let's hope for Echo and PS 5 at least for her as well. 

PS 5 means....

Vader, Luke, Soontir and Wedge shoot before him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

I meant Han... 

 

Rebel Scum all of them

soontir and vader are rebel scum ??

the emperor will not be pleased

 

 

also, guys, initiative doesn't matter as much for phantom anymore

advanced cloaking is GONE

GONE

phantoms don't have to be shackled to it and its ps dependency anymore

sure it's nice to evade with whisper, but even if you don't use the evade you still get to recloak

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...