FlashBackJack

Collection photos to show why 2.0 will cost you a lot

Hi 

Ok I get that i’ll have some people moaning about ‘not another whinge about 2.0’ but 

i’m someone who has invested heavily into the game since the start

i’m also someone who will have to upgrade 

here is my collection. I think the old adage “a picture paints a thousand words” is valid 

So why not  show FFG what some of us not happy about 

feel free to add your photos of your collection to show them what we mean 

FBJ

LFApJ1v.jpg

pIORSuX.jpg6u6toto.jpg9O8OYPl.jpg

Edited by FlashBackJack
My Poor needed grammar needed corrections

yup trying to get each one of those into 2.0 would be bombad expensive

Me personally I know I will have some models that won't be covered by a single expansion pack but it does look like all the 1.0 models will be getting a re-release of sorts which will have more cardboard. To be honest the only conversion I would see getting multiples of is Empire for getting that TIE Swarm 2.0. so you can get those 8 ties (assuming the model count and other restrictions are going to be same as 1st edition).

If I was going to play a game that large that would require all of my collection I would just stick to 1.0 for now. After all that is where Epic is going to remain for some time (although I do hope it does make the conversion eventually). 

If you've spent that much money on that many expansions (reaching nigh-superfluous levels of redundancy,) something tells me you have the disposable income to buy a few conversion kits (and you've clearly already got your money's worth as it is.)

Honestly, I wish I had your problem. I have at least one of almost every expansion, and have clearly got in less play than you (only two local tourneys, and probably less than 20 casual games,) but I still can't wait to try 2.0, because I love this game so much and can't wait for this revitalization to restore it. 

Edited by StriderZessei

I don’t have this amount of disposable income 

I’ve worked and saved hard to be able to get a good collection 

and I’m in Australia and this costs a fair few dollars over here, it’s not cheap to play 

I understand that people will think .. so you have the cash to get all of that then TS and stop moaning 

I’m not really moaning just highlighting why some of us aren’t that impressed with contents of the 2.0 con kits 

its an honest opinion, i’m Not trying to change anyone view point here 

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

a faction kit per faction will give you plenty of variety to fly your collection for a long time to come

just, you know, not all at the same time?

I think thats fair.

I am pretty disappointed that the Conversion Kit for Rebel only has 2 X-Wings...for the game of X-Wing. Should be 5.  

The attitude of "oh you have lots of ships, the cost of conversion will be trivial in comparison" is flawed because people have had years to build these collections one ship at a time.

And the response of "well, you can just spend years saving to buy all the conversion kits you need" is equally flawed.

Some people, to upgrade to 2.0, are staring down the barrel of a very expensive purchase. We don't need to belittle those people or yell them their concerns are invalid. They have a legitimate grievance.

38 minutes ago, FlashBackJack said:

Hi 

Ok I get that i’ll have some people moaning about ‘not another whinge about 2.0’ but 

i’m someone who has invested heavily into the game since the start

i’m also someone who will have to upgrade 

here is my collection. I think the old adage “a picture paints a thousand words”

So why not should show FFG what some of us not happy about 

feel free to add your photos of your collection to show them what we mean 

FBJ

LFApJ1v.jpg

pIORSuX.jpg6u6toto.jpg9O8OYPl.jpg

Clearly you can afford to upgrade, because you were able to afford this ridiculous collection. Maybe you should give some money to a charity instead of buying yet another X-Wing expansion. 

for sure it's a cost to consider, but at the same time there's really not much to do about it other than to petition for cheaper kits

already made a thread as to why the conversion to new cards/bases was absolutely necessary. Without them, a proper reboot of 2.0 simply would not be possible with the limited and shortsighted design of 1.0 components

4 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

May I ask for an explanation on this point?

A lot of people are pointing out that its possible to buy multiple conversion kits over a long period of time, staggering the cost, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect players to shelf half or more of their collections for an indeterminate period of time because the conversion kits are so expensive that they can't afford everything they need to update.

That's an impressive collection. As someone who obviously plays the game a lot though, you must know a 2nd edition was badly needed at this point. And you must also know that they couldn't possibly cater to you with the conversion kits. So while it may personally inconvenience you, you must also surely know that overall this is good for the game. 

Sometimes in life you just have to roll with the unexpected and adapt. If you sold only a fraction of that collection you could easily use that money to convert the rest. Which is a small price to pay to ensure X-Wing continues to last for another decade and the rest of your collection will have many opponents to face well into the future. 

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

for sure it's a cost to consider, but at the same time there's really not much to do about it other than to petition for cheaper kits

already made a thread as to why the conversion to new cards/bases was absolutely necessary. Without them, a proper reboot of 2.0 simply would not be possible with the limited and shortsighted design of 1.0 components

Yeah, I can see why they've redesigned the cards the way they have. It's clever future-proofing. I'm not sold on the double sized upgrade cards just yet, it looks like half the available space is taken up by a massive 'upgrade' symbol but I haven't seen the cards in person yet so I'll reserve judgement till then.

17 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

The attitude of "oh you have lots of ships, the cost of conversion will be trivial in comparison" is flawed because people have had years to build these collections one ship at a time.

And the response of "well, you can just spend years saving to buy all the conversion kits you need" is equally flawed.

Some people, to upgrade to 2.0, are staring down the barrel of a very expensive purchase. We don't need to belittle those people or yell them their concerns are invalid. They have a legitimate grievance.

Maybe, but unless you play epic on a regular basis the complaint of "My collection is so HUGE, I would need FIVE of EVERY kits to convert all of it!!!" is just as hollow. You need kits for the ships you ACTUALLY bring to the table, not for the ones sitting on your shelf, looking pretty. So regardless of how many dozen of X-Wings you have, ultimately you still only will need 1-2 kits per faction to actually play.  

Edited by Duskwalker

1 minute ago, Chucknuckle said:

A lot of people are pointing out that its possible to buy multiple conversion kits over a long period of time, staggering the cost, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect players to shelf half or more of their collections for an indeterminate period of time because the conversion kits are so expensive that they can't afford everything they need to update.

Real quick, could you please tell me what is going to happen to your 1.0 collection since you will not be investing in 2.0? This is not an attempt to be snarky. I'm trying to understand how you think.

I'm going to wait and see what is necessary to update, and then proxy/digitalise/third party my way through it. I'll probably buy a single conversion kit for Rebels and Imperials, and then I might look at getting a dial upgrade kit for each faction or using third party dials. I want to see how necessary the new baseplates are. I might just paint firing arcs directly onto the plastic, or use third party plates. With the advent of the app, the need for physical cards pretty well evaporates, and it was minimal to start with, since some of the squad builder printouts were already very comprehensive. 

I like the idea of second ed. It was necessary and I think it will be a good change. I think the conversion will be very expensive for some people and I'm going to try every trick I can think of to minimise that cost for myself.

1 minute ago, Chucknuckle said:

I'm going to wait and see what is necessary to update, and then proxy/digitalise/third party my way through it. I'll probably buy a single conversion kit for Rebels and Imperials, and then I might look at getting a dial upgrade kit for each faction or using third party dials. I want to see how necessary the new baseplates are. I might just paint firing arcs directly onto the plastic, or use third party plates. With the advent of the app, the need for physical cards pretty well evaporates, and it was minimal to start with, since some of the squad builder printouts were already very comprehensive. 

I like the idea of second ed. It was necessary and I think it will be a good change. I think the conversion will be very expensive for some people and I'm going to try every trick I can think of to minimise that cost for myself.

Okay. What value do your 1.0 cards have?