TylerTT

How I see 2.0 (airing my grievances with 1.0)

“Paying x amount of money to get back to what I had in 1st edition is such a bummer”

this sentiment rings false to me. 

Your not getting back to what you had in 1.0

What I had in 1.0 was sub par-x-wings  A-wings and B-Wings, some first draft game design And attempts to fix problems with entirely the wrong tools. (Not blaming anyone for it as everything the devs did made sense at the time. that’s just how things go, game design is hard)

What I had in 1.0 was a mess!

I still bought ships but I have not played in months. My cards and dials May as well not exist anymore because 1.0 is not a game I wanted to play. 

What I have in 2.0 is a much smaller more controlled and consistent mess. And I can apply the enormous value of my collection to a new game for dimes on the dollar.

2 minutes ago, KOG7777 said:

I think 2.0 is much more exciting news for competitive players than for casual players.

Because it was so fun to walk into casual night with your janky X wing list to get crushed (and bored to death) by Stress Wookiees?

Casual players should be ecstatic with threat leve quick builds. You can have a fun balanced game in minutes right out of the box. 

You misunderstand.

Casual night for me is not walking into a store and playing against strangers using better lists than mine.

Casual night is getting together with friends, opening up my boxes of minis and such, and having fun playing various games with different combos and just having fun, with no regard for OP combos or meta lists or whatever. With maybe drinking and movies and/or music in the background.

Just now, KOG7777 said:

You misunderstand.

Casual night for me is not walking into a store and playing against strangers using better lists than mine.

Casual night is getting together with friends, opening up my boxes of minis and such, and having fun playing various games with different combos and just having fun, with no regard for OP combos or meta lists or whatever. With maybe drinking and movies and/or music in the background.

This is my ideal kind of Xwing too. Unfortunately, in my area, it pretty much wasn't an option. Go Meta or go home.

But im looking forward to being able to still do this with 1.0 stuff on rare occasions, while also being able to play 2.0 stuff I actually LIKE to fly and OWN rather than getting crushed by all the newest hotness from ships and meta builds that simply don't interest me or which I haven't been able to keep up with since I abandoned my completist purchasing. 

Seriously, 1.0 is going to live on around kitchen tables and while introducing the game to kids. 

1 minute ago, KOG7777 said:

You misunderstand.

Sounds like a great time. If your play group is that chill, I’m coming over with a six pack. 

In an isolated “meta” like that, if nobody upgraded to 2.0 you’d like get several more years of enjoyment out of what you have. 

If you wanted to try the 2.0 fixes nothing and nobody could stop you from proxying everything anyway. So for a group like yours there’s no problem with going to 2.0. Either ignore it, or proxy it. Easy. 

3 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Sounds like a great time. If your play group is that chill, I’m coming over with a six pack. 

In an isolated “meta” like that, if nobody upgraded to 2.0 you’d like get several more years of enjoyment out of what you have. 

If you wanted to try the 2.0 fixes nothing and nobody could stop you from proxying everything anyway. So for a group like yours there’s no problem with going to 2.0. Either ignore it, or proxy it. Easy. 

I can't ignore it if I want to get new ships as they come out.

21 minutes ago, KOG7777 said:

I think 2.0 is much more exciting news for competitive players than for casual players.

when your friends want to play iconic ships, which all happen to be stupidly powerful turrets because that's how they were designed, it gets really hard to remain "casual"

2.0 should be exciting for everyone, as it at the very VERY least will allow the design team to better differentiate between ships and provide more varied styles of play

for example, the deci is no longer a **** falcon. It cannot get boost because EU doesn't exist. Instead, it's a roving bunker with reinforce and red coordinate, two things that would have been literally impossible to give it in 1.0 (due to both the pilot cards and the bases not containing the necessary information)

2.0 is just a better game overall, which should be good news for everyone

Edited by ficklegreendice

21 minutes ago, KOG7777 said:

You misunderstand.

I prefer this style as well. Unfortunately, the fact that the most iconic ships had been eclipsed by newer ships that my small group had never heard of made it impossible to keep the others interested. We used to play once a week. I haven’t played in months now (though I own all the new releases...the others haven’t bothered to keep up).

it’s not so much about competitive tournament effectiveness, as just the more iconic ships being seen as weaker killed enjoyment. That’s my experience with my group. I’m hoping I can convince them to jump back in with 2.0 and our casual game nights will be fun for my group again. I miss playing. :(

Edited by elfholme

1 minute ago, elfholme said:

I prefer this style as well. Unfortunately, the fact that the most iconic ships had been eclipsed by newer ships that my small group had never heard of made it impossible to keep the others interested. We used to play once a week. I haven’t played in months now (though I own all the new releases...the others haven’t bothered to keep up).

it’s not so much about competitive tournament effectiveness, as just the more iconic ships being seen as weaker killed enjoyment. That’s my experience with my group. Im hoping I can convince them to jump back in with 2.0 and our casual game nights will be fun for my group again. I miss playing. :(

The fatigue is (was) real.

All the ships and pilots from Rebels (with their utterly incongruous cartoony appearance) never appealed to me. It felt like a crayon drawing overlaid on the Sistene Chapel. I never bought them. Thus I couldn't compete. And the sheer volume of leapfrogging power upgrades (which i ended up not owning, thus not mastering either to play with or against) meant I was headed directly for the bottom of the win probability spectrum. Keeping up became impossible. 

Now all my favorites feel revived and relevant! At least that's my optimistic hope. 

50 minutes ago, KOG7777 said:

I can't ignore it if I want to get new ships as they come out.

The last release of new ships was in December 2017, and it looks like there won't be new ships for quite some time.

That means you will get many hours out of the minis you already own until new ships come out. Plenty of time to see how others like 2.0, and whether e.g. the individual conversion kits are really happening, or how high the prices on ebay are.

In any case there is no reason for outrage right now.

Well in our "causal" evenings our lead player is running things hard and doing HARD-CORE BOOT-CAMP style fights with Ghost-Fenn or Miranda Nym against rookie players. "They need to learn things the hard way"... ???

METARULEZ SUCKERZ

(Just kidding.. we have a great local supportive community, with room for mostly jank-list play)

13 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

The last release of new ships was in December 2017, and it looks like there won't be new ships for quite some time.

That means you will get many hours out of the minis you already own until new ships come out. Plenty of time to see how others like 2.0, and whether e.g. the individual conversion kits are really happening, or how high the prices on ebay are.

In any case there is no reason for outrage right now.

Reaper is new!  And more seriously, devs said on stream the other day that there will still be new ships released, we aren’t stuck with ONLY rereleases for however long it takes to get them out. 

5 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

Reaper is new!  And more seriously, devs said on stream the other day that there will still be new ships released, we aren’t stuck with ONLY rereleases for however long it takes to get them out. 

True, forgot about the reaper. At least that's also available for 1.0

Of course I don't know, but I guess that wave 2 won't include much new stuff. And it will probably take a year from now or more until we get wave 3 with new stuff. That's plenty of time to see how 2.0 is received.

25 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

True, forgot about the reaper. At least that's also available for 1.0

Of course I don't know, but I guess that wave 2 won't include much new stuff. And it will probably take a year from now or more until we get wave 3 with new stuff. That's plenty of time to see how 2.0 is received.

Don't we suspect the Calrissian Falcon is right around the corner, just waiting to be announced?

3 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

But that, like the new xwing and uwing, won't be a new ship and it will be part of 1.0

It's a radically different looking variant, possibly with new stats and abilities and maybe pilots... seems new enough to me?

But you're probably right about it being part of 1.0. Which means... it'll be almost instantly be unplayable if you switch to 2.0, since it's not included in the conversion kit? Unless it has materials for 1.0 and 2.0 in the same box.

49 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

that was already confirmed for the Renegades and the Reaper, so we can assume it will be for the still unannounced Falcon

Agreed. Assuming solo movie tie in ships are announced it would be pretty foolish for them to be 1.0 only.

Look at it this way, 1.0 is like the original  PlayStation while 2.0 is like the PS2.  You can play your old ships on the new system, but you have to by the system first.  You could say the old core sets were like the old console and the new core plus conversion kits are the new more powerful next gen console.  

11 hours ago, KOG7777 said:

Quick builds are so flipping great though! I think 2.0 will be far better for casual. 

But I see how it would be hard for a player with a very small collection to justify paying for an upgrade kit.