Sign in to follow this  
ficklegreendice

The necessity of re-done 2.0 templates and cards

No clue, but I know none of the Warhammer edition changes even APPROACHED this level of overhaul, except AOS which just kinda ****** everyone 

Even privateer press, bless their reasonable hearts, didn't change mk2 that much going into mk3

But unlike GW, they charged accordingly 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Has anyone else noticed all those pilots in the top spread are ps5 and are much higher in v1? Can it be the ps war is over and there may be only a very small handful of pilots that are ps9? Sister Mary Francis that is going to be awesome that an ace is an ace for a reason again.

8 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Has anyone else noticed all those pilots in the top spread are ps5 and are much higher in v1? Can it be the ps war is over and there may be only a very small handful of pilots that are ps9? Sister Mary Francis that is going to be awesome that an ace is an ace for a reason again.

ps 9 is now initiative 6

seems all he usual suspects have migrated to the appropriate ps, but all the 7s (norra) and 8s (luke) seem to have been squished in initiative 5

7 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

There are no pilots at PS9.

PS is now called Initiative, and it scales 1-6. No VI, no Adaptability.

btw, I definitely believe ps wars will still be a thing

but the increased cost of high ps pilots and the scaling costs of upgrades will prevent you from running high ps spam, and thereby give lower ps a much better chance (in addition to stuff like action and barrel-roll limitations)

good example is one of the lists for worlds streams was Luke + Wedge + gold vet, as opposed to the Luke + Wedge + Wes with a LOT of points left over we can get once Saw's hits 1.0

the other stream list was Vader + 4 black cracks. On team cov, it was Feroph + Steele+ 3 blackcracks

so Vader + Blackcrack = Steele + Feroph (heavily, if horribly, upgraded)

should give an idea of how expensive vader is

Edited by ficklegreendice

20 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

but the increased cost of high ps pilots and the scaling costs of upgrades will prevent you from running high ps spam, and thereby give lower ps a much better chance (in addition to stuff like action and barrel-roll limitations)

good example is one of the lists for worlds streams was Luke + Wedge + gold vet, as opposed to the Luke + Wedge + Wes with a LOT of points left over we can get once Saw's hits 1.0

If it's accurate that the higher initiative pilots can cost as much as double the cost of a generic, then that's going to be an interesting choice to make - do you get the higher initiative and the special ability, or do you get more ships?

In 1.0, that wasn't really the choice. The difference between a Rookie Pilot and Wedge in 1.0 is 8 points. Soontir Fel is 9 points more expensive than the cheapest interceptor. You can't even fit in an Academy Pilot for that kind of difference, so why wouldn't you always go for the highest PS pilot?

If the top initiative pilot in 2.0 is twice that of the lowest, that will have a huge impact on potential initiative wars. Especially combined with the developers clearly taking aim at reducing action efficiency in 2.0.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

the other stream list was Vader + 4 black cracks. On team cov, it was Feroph + Steele+ 3 blackcracks

Keep in mind that "horribly upgraded" is actually cheaper this edition.

Finally, a sensible thread. X-Wing 2nd Edition is looking to be a much different, better game, not just a re-skin.

In regards to the conversion kits, I believe they did a good job. Players with many 1st Edition ships will get a good deal out of the conversion kits, and players with few 1st Edition ships (me) will probably just skip the conversion kits altogether and buy the new 2nd Edition ships. The updated models look great too.

Someone else brought this to my attention, but the conversion kits are so good of a deal that it is actually cheaper to buy the 1st Edition ships and the conversion kits rather than just buying the same amount of the 2nd Edition ships.

Edited by Varyag

depends on the ships, but yes

I think it was something like 12 small ships ($15 in 1.0)

12 * $15= $180, +$50 kit = $230

meanwhile 12 2.0 ships ($20 ea) would go for $240

course you gotta hash out a different combination of small ships for the kits, while the 2.0 ships will only include X/Y, TIE/advance, fang

no idea how much other ships will cost, other than the spray costing the same as it did but it's been moved to a smaller base

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

I think it was mentioned Vader is like 84 points now. So in Standard play he takes up roughly 1/3rd of your list as usual.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Haven’t we talked for YEARS that the changes people really wanted could only work with a total reworking of the game from the ground up.   Basically we’ve been calling for 2.0 for at least the last 2 years, maybe even from the time of the second core set.  Now that it’s here everyone is getting buyers remorse for exactly what we wanted.  Awesome.

still have to trade/buy 2 more GUNBOAT kits.

I’m ready. Buying everything at once is a little sticker-shocking, but for me it is equivalent to backing a new Kickstarter, to get an improved Star Wars dogfighting game. It seems worth it. <shrug>

44 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I think it was mentioned Vader is like 84 points now. So in Standard play he takes up roughly 1/3rd of your list as usual.

That's naked Vader, without upgrades. He is definitely going to be almost half your squad. He is going to be a monster. 

46 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

depends on the ships, but yes

I think it was something like 12 small ships ($15 in 1.0)

12 * $15= $180, +$50 kit = $230

meanwhile 12 2.0 ships ($20 ea) would go for $240

course you gotta hash out a different combination of small ships for the kits, while the 2.0 ships will only include X/Y, TIE/advance, fang

no idea how much other ships will cost, other than the spray costing the same as it did but it's been moved to a smaller base

10 small ships would break even $200 either way), once you hit 11 it’s cheaper to buy 1.0, Assuming as you said you buy a set that matches with what the kit has. If you’re buying 4 ywings, or 4 tie advanced, etc then it’s a different story

44 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

That’s over 40% of your list. And it’s before upgrades

34 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

That's naked Vader, without upgrades. He is definitely going to be almost half your squad. He is going to be a monster. 

Well, does he even need upgrades now? Built in ATC and he still gets his multiple Actions via force charges.

3 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

I don’t think the low end or high end of PS really gets affected much by the compression. It’s all the awkward values in the middle that were either taken for a pilot ability, EPT slot, or just to have a higher PS than some of the lower PS ships that were common. Often times that left you with a squad full of ships scattered across a few different PS values lockig you into a particular activation order. 

With less different PS values in the middle you are more likely to end up with multiple ships at the same PS.

Thank you for saying this as a pro-2er.

Right now, no one but the wizard behind the curtain knows how to play this game.  You might think you do, but you don't. 

It is another consideration for some in Making the Jump.

OTOH, everyone's a noob again, playing their 1st game of x-wing.

Edited by Darth Meanie