Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

How would you rework bad abilities/upgrades for 2.0?

So what abilities do we think will get an update? I think wherever possible, the abilities will be tweaked slightly instead of completely overhauled, so i think it would be fun to speculate how some of our favorite pilots may look if they make the cut (or at least their abilities), especially for those pilots that saw little to no play.

Some of my thoughts to get discussion started.

It would be great if Fel’s Wrath still had a place in the game if only for his cult following as xwing’s loveable loser. An ability rework to something like-

Fel’s Wrath

“when you would be destroyed, if you have not already attacked, you may perform an attack before you are removed from the game. You may assign a focus token to your ship immediately before this attack is performed.” 

——

A ship on the other end of the spectrum, Miranda, maybe sees a simple change to restrict the repetitive use of her ability.

Miranda Doni

charge: 2

”when making an attack in your (a specific side of arc. Let’s say front for now), you may either spend 1 shield to roll 1 additional attack die or roll 1 fewer attack die to recover 1 shield.”

——

A lot of the changes to the cardboard inserts bodes well for pilots like the popular tie pilot Backstabber. His ability could now simply read something like this (I think they said somewhere they are trying to do away with abilities that add attack or evade dice? Maybe I’m wrong on that.)-

Backstabber

“when attacking a ship, if you are targeting the rear section of the ship, you may reroll up to 2 of your attack dice.”

——

Just some early thoughts. Have any of you put in any thought on how some of your favorite pilots or upgrades may play in 2.0?

Trying to think of a way to make Expose worthwhile. The problem being that it costs you a green for nothing better than a normal, focussed shot.

So I wondered if it worked like unguided rockets.... not sure....

When attacking, if you have a focus token, you may roll 1 extra attack die.

Your attack dice may not be modified other than by spending a focus token for it's normal effect.

?

Expose could be a straight up equip this for 1 less agility and 1 more attack, but would have to be pretty pricey. Again, not sure the new design philosophy is keen on cards that can creep dice one way or the other, but I feel like a straight up +1 red -1 green at a healthy cost exchange wouldn’t be over the top, especially with the live price adjustments.

Expose could still be +1 red for -1 green

Just have it trigger during system phase (after dials down, before reveal), no action required

Rules now allow you to restrict it further (When making a PRIMARY FIRING ARC primary weapon attack, for example)

Adjust price as needed 

Edited by ficklegreendice

FFG is doing a fine thing which I always thought they should've done, ie no token-independent modifiers outside arc

or in this case, outside primary or bullseye arc since turrets don't exist

huzzah!

anyway, you can't really expose yourself unless you're diving straight at the enemy. gotta be primary firing arc at least

Edited by ficklegreendice

Another awful upgrade card... saboteur... think I saw a token with the art from the card on it in one of the preview images? Of course they are mixing art all up (even changing recon specs name and art for some reason..?), but gives me hope it will get a revisit.

I wonder if they still have plans for special action giving upgrades?

Speaking of  upgrades, I heard the world champ cards may not get a revisit. But do we know if Nands and Justin Phuas will make it into 2.0? I’m assuming so. I know Nands is in 1.0, but I’m guessing they made it convertible to 2.0.

13 hours ago, Salamanderjunior said:

Let's me try too...

Expose

Discard a Evade token to roll 1 additional attack dice.

Or

Discard a Evade token to re-roll 1 attack dice. 

13 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

FFG is doing a fine thing which I always thought they should've done, ie no token-independent modifiers outside arc

or in this case, outside primary or bullseye arc since turrets don't exist

huzzah!

anyway, you can't really expose yourself unless you're diving straight at the enemy. gotta be primary firing arc at least

Combining these two concepts, how about "When attacking an enemy inside your bulls-eye firing arc, you may spend 1 evade token to add a hit result to your roll"?  It buffs your offense at the cost of defens,e and you need to be going straight in.

12 hours ago, Kdubb said:

Another awful upgrade card... saboteur... think I saw a token with the art from the card on it in one of the preview images? Of course they are mixing art all up (even changing recon specs name and art for some reason..?), but gives me hope it will get a revisit.

I wonder if they still have plans for special action giving upgrades?

For saboteur, how about "Action: Assign a saboteur token to one ship at range 1-2, when a ship with a saboteur token would suffer a hit result, suffer a crit result instead, then, discard the saboteur token" single time hull-breach on demand?  Prevent the token from stacking, and maybe adjust point cost but I think that might be fun.

9 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Combining these two concepts, how about "When attacking an enemy inside your bulls-eye firing arc, you may spend 1 evade token to add a hit result to your roll"?  It buffs your offense at the cost of defens,e and you need to be going straight in.

That might be kinda nice on low initiative TIEs. Take the evade for defense, but if you end up not needing it get a little extra punch. Plus, thematic, worse pilots would need to take some risks   

Well I have to first see all the things that are going in as there is a lot of stuff now standardized to each model (bullseye, half sections, linked actions, aux arcs, MFA or in this case AFA turrets). 

Usually when I look at things I try to put them more on the thematic side such as Ion effects, or action phase timing, then try to work out a meta problem.

It is going to be some time before but I suspect Int 6 is going to be a major factor in tier 1 lists unless swarms end up on top like in Wave 1 1st edition.

Edited by Marinealver

7 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

For saboteur, how about "Action: Assign a saboteur token to one ship at range 1-2, when a ship with a saboteur token would suffer a hit result, suffer a crit result instead, then, discard the saboteur token" single time hull-breach on demand?  Prevent the token from stacking, and maybe adjust point cost but I think that might be fun.

Those are both fantastic ideas! Not over the top, both require you to give a little something for an up turn (the evade token for expose and an action for saboteur), but effective enough you wouldn’t feel like a waste equipping them.

2 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

I just don't want to see FFG get token crazy with this edition.

Too late for that I suspect. We already know about two new types of token(force and calculate). Not to mention that you will have to use numbers for all ships now(including uniques) as they are tied to TLs.

For theme reasons (I.e. x-Wing game) Expose should be spend a shield token OR after executing any maneuver you may gain a stress token to roll one extra attack die. When you shifted power to weapons it definitely made you slower.

Some other ones I would like to see: 

Jumpasters, set up the same as an outer rim smuggler.

Captain Rex, when you receive a damage card you gain one focus token.

Sabine, same ability but only 2 charges.

Baze Malbus, same ability but only costs 1.

Lando cost to 2.

Leia cost to 2.

GHOSTS:

Kanan's ability requires spending one force point otherwise unchanged. 

Hera intuition 5 same ability.

PHANTOMS:

Fenn Rau, spend a charge to use ability.

Drop new Zeb or Ezra Phantom for General Kalani (would be cool to have a droid pilot in the Rebellion with calculate).

Quickdraw spend a charge, only get two.

Miranda spend a charge, only get two.

Bomblet generator requires the ship using it to take a weapons disabled token every round it drops a bomb.

Nym, abilities toned down to just the bombs provide evade result.

28 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

Bomblet generator requires the ship using it to take a weapons disabled token every round it drops a bomb.

I like that idea but I'd say more on the lines of you discard the card to drop the bomb but then at the end it says "at the start of the system phase you may receive a weapons disabled token to flip this card face up." or it could just have 3-5 charges

Bomblet can be fixed the same way as TLT and Harpoons. Just delete it.

Reload action can reload bombs, so there you have it, infinite bombs in exchange for weapons disabled, assuming it still disables weapons.

1 hour ago, Dengars Toilet Paper said:

I like that idea but I'd say more on the lines of you discard the card to drop the bomb but then at the end it says "at the start of the system phase you may receive a weapons disabled token to flip this card face up." or it could just have 3-5 charges

No card discarding anymore.

It would be a charge of 1 with a way to get the charge back.

2 hours ago, kayarn said:

Too late for that I suspect. We already know about two new types of token(force and calculate). Not to mention that you will have to use numbers for all ships now(including uniques) as they are tied to TLs.

Well, we had number tokens in 1.0, and since using them in 2.0 essentially halves the number of target lock tokens, that's a net gain.  I just don't want to see a bunch of abilities tied into tokens and having the table littered with cardboard.

3 hours ago, eMeM said:

Bomblet can be fixed the same way as TLT and Harpoons. Just delete it.

Reload action can reload bombs, so there you have it, infinite bombs in exchange for weapons disabled, assuming it still disables weapons.

I thought I heard somewhere reload doesn’t help with bombs?