Sign in to follow this  
Jman444

40k terrain use in Legion- Heresy or okay?

Story time: This is my first miniatures war game so as I've been wrapping up painting my core set and some expansions, I realized I needed some terrain that wasn't just the barricades included in the core set. Since Im moving soon and working a lot, I will only have the time and space to paint/glue things together so making my own terrain is out of the question for at least some time.

Yes, I am aware of 3D printed terrain but with online stores like Imperial Terrain having long lead times (which is great they're getting so much business!) I wanted something I could get from the store right away, assemble, paint, and have on the board.

So when I was at my local FLGS, I noticed an inexpensive/ on sale 40k terrain kit and decided to purchase it. After taking them off the sprues and assembling them, I have to say- the quality is really great with lots of details. And being in the same scale, the Legion minis look good next to them. I've been looking at getting a couple more various 40k sets so the table would have a good assortment of nice terrain on it but wasn't sure how people would react to it.

So my question is, what do you think about using 40k terrain with Legion? Im sure this has been addressed in the past but I havent seen any threads directly about it.

I know the style is different from Star Wars (40k is more gothic) and most of their stuff would pull the immersion away, but they do have a few terrain kits that when painted more Star Wars-y, I think would look fine.

Not looking to start a GW vs FFG company argument thread here or anything polarizing. I get that this is the kind of game you can play with what you want and how you want- but Im more curious how the general community feels about it and what they feel would be pros and cons. Or how they feel with using terrain from other games in general?

I don't know about 40k specifically, bit I use some Flames of War desert terrain on my desert mat and it works great.  I use the Desert Escarpments, Large Sand Dune, and Extra Large Dune.  The Escarpments are tall enough to block LOS to troopers, and two come in a box.  They are also prepainted and so they are ready to play right out of the box.

10 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Use what ever you want and think fits for your table/game.

It's your game and fun, so do what you want.

4 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Terrain is terrain. Use what you have and enjoy.

No terrain police will come to your table and remove things for being poorly themed.

Yes I am aware, that is why I mentioned this fact in the original post. I was more interested in the thoughts of you/ the community if they were playing with it.

52 minutes ago, Stepper79 said:

I came across this article stating Gale force 9 is launching a series of battle field terrain for legion soon

http://www.beastsofwar.com/gf9/reveal-battlefield-box-galactic-warzone-terrain/ 

Oh good find! Those houses look sweet!

4 hours ago, Jman444 said:

Yes I am aware, that is why I mentioned this fact in the original post. I was more interested in the thoughts of you/ the community if they were playing with it.

Well I'd say my post should makes my thoughts clear. I would play on a table with 40k terrain and I probably will use my 2 or so ruined 40K buildings I have.

Use what you want. In a galaxy far far away in a far future, culture isn't homogenous and you my be fighting on a planet of grimdark emos with a fetish for gothic architecture.

I myself recently purchased the containers and barrels and ammo boxes set. Omitted to add some of the ornaments that were "too much" but overall it's nice ( the ammo boxes are trash though. No bottom and a chore to paint)

There are what, 1 million worlds in the Empire...a few hundred thousand?

Different planets are going to have different architectural styles.  Don't sweat it.

8 hours ago, Stepper79 said:

I came across this article stating Gale force 9 is launching a series of battle field terrain for legion soon

http://www.beastsofwar.com/gf9/reveal-battlefield-box-galactic-warzone-terrain/ 

Ouch that hurts right in the wallet :)

8 hours ago, ABXY said:

Any piece, so long as it doesn't have skulls all over it... 

So none? ;)

We played a game with Imperial bastions and some necromunda stuff that looked good. 

Edited by VanorDM

There are some great companies out there that are making Legion terrain. I'm very fond of Imperial Terrains work, but the others are good to. There are also many others out there  these are just the ones I've been following.

https://imperialterrain.com/collections/sci-fi-rpg-tabletop-terrain

http://knightsofdice.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=105_124 (Also has cheaper blank sets listed as Tabula Rasa)

https://www.battlekiwi.com/product-category/tabletop-terrain/star-battle-terrain/

If you aren't that worried about official looking terrain I'd also recommend Systema Gaming. I got two of their city bundles and it has worked great for me; I've used it for Warhammer, Edge of the Empire RPG, Relic Knights, Infinity and soon Fallout Wasteland Warfare.

http://www.systemagaming.com/

Otherwise as mentioned early don't sweat it too much. There are millions of inhabited plants in the Star Wars galaxy so at least one is  bound to be gothic in nature. As long as your happy with your table, then, thats whats important.

In terms of scale I think it works perfectly. It's what I'm using for the most part. The only knock I really have is with the area terrain. I've just been steering away from it. I have a bunch of home made area terrain (ruined buildings and whatnot) that I don't use. Solid buildings, rock formations, crates and barrels look great with the models. I just played a game on the weekend where we played in a "cargo port". Fuel tanks, cargo, supplies and small buildings dotted the field and it worked well thematically. That said all of my terrain is home built. To echo a previous sentiment, a ton of Imperial (Imperium of man, not Galactic Empire) or Chaos symbols may be out of place.

40k terrain or Styrofoam cup, hmmmm. I say it is okay. I am not sure I would go full on with D&D stuff but it would still be better than a random box. 

.... and Imperial Terrain needs to switch to models already. 4 week lead time is silly.

5 hours ago, Mep said:

40k terrain or Styrofoam cup, hmmmm. I say it is okay. I am not sure I would go full on with D&D stuff but it would still be better than a random box. 

.... and Imperial Terrain needs to switch to models already. 4 week lead time is silly.

I agree! I've found a few 40k terrain models that look great with Legion stuff and doesnt really pull the immersion away. 

Do you mean they should switch to actual mould models instead of 3D printing them?

1 hour ago, Jman444 said:

I agree! I've found a few 40k terrain models that look great with Legion stuff and doesnt really pull the immersion away. 

Do you mean they should switch to actual mould models instead of 3D printing them?

Yeah, their notice says they keep getting more printers when they should just start making molds. Better quality and would be faster in the long run. Printers aren't cheap.

22 minutes ago, Mep said:

Yeah, their notice says they keep getting more printers when they should just start making molds. Better quality and would be faster in the long run. Printers aren't cheap.

I noticed that as well, they're getting a lot of printers, which I dont think is the answer considering how long it takes to print stuff... those things will have to be going 24/7 to minimize that 4 week lead time. Molds would take longer to make up front, but they could churn out product a ton faster.

I mean their designs are great but relatively basic so the details come out right with the printer so the molds could include more detail and they could just do them in several pieces that you glue together rather than a huge single piece that's in the mold. Which would also make it faster and in turn, their models can be a bit cheaper. 

They'd probably get more business too since a drawback to me with the 3D printed stuff is the lines. I have 3D terrain so I know there are ways to minimize seeing it but thats just an extra hobby step, Id much rather just cut pieces out of sprues haha

@Jman444 They would need to use the printed models to make the molds from, so they wouldn't get, nor do they really need, more detail. What I got from them so far has more than enough detail. They probably would want to use a high quality printer to cut down on the print lines, which can get a bit bad. They could get the molds made professionally, though that may be too pricey. Making latex molds from hand isn't terribly hard nor expensive. 

I get the feeling they are in a position right now where they are a victim of their own success and are too far behind to have the time to change the process. Still they will at some point be selling those extra printers on ebay.