Kingsguard

Any explanation for the price increase in regular ships?

I just noticed the 2nd edition X-Wing and Y-Wing expansions cost 19.99. Compared to the 15$ of the previous ones that's a pretty big price increase. Is there any explanation for it? Or is FFG thinking they can squeeze us a little harder? It was difficult enough justifying paying 16$ for a single ship. And with all the other expensive upgrades for 2nd edition, this is giving me pause on my initial enthusiasm for taking the leap from 1st to 2nd edition.

They are probably thinking if people are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to convert from 1.0 to 2.0, what's another 5 bucks per individual ship going forward? Heck, why don't they make it double the cost? If you'd pay hundreds to convert, would you stop buying new waves if small ships were now 30.00 instead of 15.00?

Prices have been steadily increasing and will continue to do so in the future. In 6 years basic ships may be 25-30 msrp, online $20-$25.

Years ago, you used to find them online at $10, now they cost $16.

Besides that, every medium ship that previously came in blisters (k-wing size) at $16 will now come in what are silencer and firespray sized boxes (now reduced in size) at $23. It is unclear how and for how much they intend to sell bigger sized expansions (Shadowcaster sized and Ghost sized). Basically, that middle spot was eliminated and everything in it moved up one price category. I don't think Shadowcaster and such expansions would cost as much as a Ghost, but maybe another category is shifted up, too.

If you intend on continuing, know that prices will always go up, and constant investment is required, if you play competitively. There is a big casual market which will keep driving prices up, because these models look better than a lego, and FFG, LFL and Asmodee are greedy.

Inflation... (well the increase is a bit more than inflation but it plays a factor)

Also most likely a little more complex manufacturing for all the new articulated ship models. We also don't know that 2.0 came off the back of a license renegotiation with Disney (would make sense), Disney may have looked at FFG's profits and sales and demanded a larger cut. We will never really know because FFG won't tell us any of that.

We don't know if the price increase profit is going to FFG or if its just a higher MSRP to give retailers more profit and incentive to push X-wing.

But the most logical explanation is there sales department and marketing department determined that people will be willing to pay that much.... at the end of the day they are a business and are trying to turn a profit.  Consumers have a choice to purchase or not, you cant get mad at them for charging as much as people will willingly pay, best you can hope is that money goes into more development and not senior administrator bonuses.

44 minutes ago, Kingsguard said:

I just noticed the 2nd edition X-Wing and Y-Wing expansions cost 19.99. Compared to the 15$ of the previous ones that's a pretty big price increase. Is there any explanation for it? Or is FFG thinking they can squeeze us a little harder? It was difficult enough justifying paying 16$ for a single ship. 

The explanation is probably that it costs more money to make these in 2018 than they did in 2012.

Edited by DagobahDave

1 minute ago, Icelom said:

Inflation... (well the increase is a bit more than inflation but it plays a factor)

Yeah, I was about to say- inflation plus costs of materials went up (someone mentioned that in another post). New designs are being made where they feel they're necessary (new Y-wing model, new X wing with articulating s foils, new fang fighter with rotating wings, etc.) so its not as simple as just reprinting what they have. Although they said not all would be new sculpts, Im sure a fair number will be new to get people to buy / update to the new ones. 

They might be trying to get better paint jobs on the ships as well and that's also what you're paying for. Take a look at team covenant's play through with Alex Davy, they have closeups of the new stuff. Those ships look super good just from what I can tell on screen. 

The new ships include more pilots, upgrades and punchboard.

new mechanics like charge tokens, the force tokens, larger dials and yada yada yada.

they will charge the price they feel is necessary to keep the game going. Valuing anything is a dream about a lie.

also they are likely anticipating slower sales of the new packs given they no longer encourage players to purchase every faction’s ships for the cards.

it also looks like the game will overall use fewer ships in the standard game size. What with base Vader costing upwards of 80 points.

I’m guessing the new price points will be $20, $30, $40

Edited by TylerTT

3 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

It's not particularly impressive, considering I can buy a Hot Wheels model for a pound... 

There's no comparison there. X-Wing's popularity is miniscule compared to Hot Wheels. Compare them to Greenlight models and other premium die-cast, which are in the same price range as X-Wing miniatures.

5 minutes ago, DagobahDave said:

There's no comparison there. X-Wing's popularity is miniscule compared to Hot Wheels. Compare them to Greenlight models and other premium die-cast, which are in the same price range as X-Wing miniatures.

I realise this ;)

Slightly tongue in cheek though. There's no way production costs justify these prices but it's a luxury market so we're basically on the end of a chain. Heck, I thought they were expensive before.

Edited by Cuz05
Because I didn't realise the H word was swearing.

I remember when Star Wars Miniatures by Wizards of the Coast tried to keep up with inflation and increased costs but not raise the price by sacrificing the quality of the miniatures and their paint jobs. Which made me lose all interest in that game. So it could be worse. Whether that excuses the full price increase I don't know. 

I don't believe the price of small based ships have increased at all in the last 6 years so maybe they're making up for that now and making sure they don't have to raise the prices for another six years?

I admit the price increase is my only disappointment so far with 2.0.

Edited by Tooka-cat

Better miniatures.
Better painting.
Significantly more cards in each pack, with more thought going into each card, and larger card sizes for better aesthetics on the table.

They've increased the prices before. In Australia MSRP went from $24 to $26 maybe 18 months ago, which corresponds well with Inflation. After 6 years you'e looking at a bare minimum of 20% inflation alone (based on standard 3% PA). Once you factor in the aspects above you're looking at a mild discount based on previous packs. As Yoda would say:

Judge me by my size, do you?

3 hours ago, Astech said:

Better miniatures.
Better painting.
Significantly more cards in each pack, with more thought going into each card, and larger card sizes for better aesthetics on the table.

They've increased the prices before. In Australia MSRP went from $24 to $26 maybe 18 months ago, which corresponds well with Inflation. After 6 years you'e looking at a bare minimum of 20% inflation alone (based on standard 3% PA). Once you factor in the aspects above you're looking at a mild discount based on previous packs. As Yoda would say:

Judge me by my size, do you?

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Inflation accounts for extra $1.3. The rest is FFG finding out they can raise the prive and we will buy the ships anyway.

new better models + better paint scheme + growing production costs in China + lower sails expectations because they know most player will just go with conversion kits or leave outright = stuff gets more pricey   

Edited by Duskwalker

6 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

I just noticed the 2nd edition X-Wing and Y-Wing expansions cost 19.99. Compared to the 15$ of the previous ones that's a pretty big price increase. Is there any explanation for it? Or is FFG thinking they can squeeze us a little harder? It was difficult enough justifying paying 16$ for a single ship. And with all the other expensive upgrades for 2nd edition, this is giving me pause on my initial enthusiasm for taking the leap from 1st to 2nd edition.

New sculpts.