AintNoPoser

Kill it already

8 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

:D Same here. . . there are no tourneys in my area, just us two.

Same here, between 2 and 8 players.

A number of these 8 also play D&D and other games so its often just 2 games/4 players.

14 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

What’s sadder? The fact it’s sad, or the fact you record your awesome sadness for the world to watch? ?

Oh it's a public service.. maybe someone will see how sad my life is and decide that they are actually doing fairly well!

Also.. thanks for pointing that out :)

13 hours ago, ouzel said:

No one could not have played this games forces available in even 5% of the combos possible at 400 points .  So just keep playing the game and having fun with it.

and as far as a 2nd ED I will never buy or play one.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part here..

But never?  Without having seen what it might be if it does happen?  I'm not excited about having all my stuff made obsolete but maybe that's not what will happen if a second edition even does ever happen.  I'll wait and see and then make my sweeping statements.

7 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Yeah, I would have to see what they did with 2E before giving a hard yay or nay.

If they could make it play quicker, and maybe take up less space without taking away the complexity or fun... I could get behind that. 

I'm on the opposite end with my wait and see for a 2nd edition. I want bigger, not smaller, an Armada, not a Squadron of ships.

21 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Yeah, I would have to see what they did with 2E before giving a hard yay or nay.

If they could make it play quicker, and maybe take up less space without taking away the complexity or fun... I could get behind that. 

I'm not sure how quicker would happen but there's a better chance of that than less space.  I have an amount of money that is never to be spoken of tied up in Armada and if I can't use those models I'll be pretty upset.  Less space seems difficult with the size of the current models.

And I just had an idea for quicker games.. reprinted cards and a new tool.. speed 8 ships!

(it's a joke guys.. please don't tell me how that would break the game)

2 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

This. I want a whole fleet. 

Are you prepared to buy all new miniatures?

I don't see how you can [reasonably for most people] simulate a whole fleet on the tabletop without reducing the scale. Make CR-90s a flotilla the size of a current squadron so that you can more easily bring the Star Dreadnoughts onto the table. At this scale, squadrons probably aren't modeled separately, they're just part of a capital ship's attack - would that be losing too much of the "Star Wars feel"?

Also, what is the minimum you consider a fleet? The wikipedia article for naval fleet shows a picture of 10 ships. Was the First Order fielding a fleet in TLJ? Or does it have to be Battle of Endor/Coruscant size?

29 minutes ago, NewTroski said:

I don't see how you can [reasonably for most people] simulate a whole fleet on the tabletop without reducing the scale. Make CR-90s a flotilla the size of a current squadron so that you can more easily bring the Star Dreadnoughts onto the table. At this scale, squadrons probably aren't modeled separately, they're just part of a capital ship's attack - would that be losing too much of the "Star Wars feel"?

Also, what is the minimum you consider a fleet? The wikipedia article for naval fleet shows a picture of 10 ships. Was the First Order fielding a fleet in TLJ? Or does it have to be Battle of Endor/Coruscant size?

I tend to agree.  If we increased the playmat size to 12 x 6 we might be able to have some pretty epic battles.. but that is also not feasible.  Whole fleet battles with tens or more ships on a side while still maintaining the squad play and individual ship control is more suited, I feel, to the digital arena.  In miniatures you are limited by space and scale.  If you want more granular control you need larger miniatures.   If you want more ships they need to be smaller.  It's hard to have both.

Edited by durandal343

3 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I'm on the opposite end with my wait and see for a 2nd edition. I want bigger, not smaller, an Armada, not a Squadron of ships.

What if they scaled down the size, made a squadron slot on ships you can fill with various squadrons that take an action to activate, and have them roll dice like a separate attack pool. No more squadron miniatures. And flak can reduce the number of dice similar to legion defense dice. 

17 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

What if they scaled down the size, made a squadron slot on ships you can fill with various squadrons that take an action to activate, and have them roll dice like a separate attack pool. No more squadron miniatures. And flak can reduce the number of dice similar to legion defense dice. 

At what point are we talking a new game and not Armada?

2 hours ago, NewTroski said:

Battle of Endor scale. Yep, smaller scale, perhaps. No, I don't care if I have to buy an entire new fleet.

9 minutes ago, Darth Lupine said:

Battle of Endor scale. Yep, smaller scale, perhaps. No, I don't care if I have to buy an entire new fleet.

Well, as was said earlier, that sounds like a completely new game... not just a new version of Armada.  X-Wing would be small-scale dogfights while this new game would be large-scale many-ship fleet battles.  Armada seems to fall somewhere in between.

3 minutes ago, durandal343 said:

Well, as was said earlier, that sounds like a completely new game... not just a new version of Armada.  X-Wing would be small-scale dogfights while this new game would be large-scale many-ship fleet battles.  Armada seems to fall somewhere in between.

Hmm, indeed. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

I have every intention of fielding the entire battle of Endor someday in Armada. Most likely I will run it as an event at a convention, or just take over the FLGS, with all the regulars taking part of each fleet.

5 hours ago, NewTroski said:

Yeah, you're pretty much talking about Battlefleet Gothic at that point. A battleship in BFG was, what, roughly the length of a Gladiator in Armada, but fluff-wise the ship was about three or four times the size of an ISD. Squadrons were tokens. Once you reduce the ships to that scale, then it's easier to field massive fleets.

9 hours ago, reegsk said:

Yeah, you're pretty much talking about Battlefleet Gothic at that point. A battleship in BFG was, what, roughly the length of a Gladiator in Armada, but fluff-wise the ship was about three or four times the size of an ISD. Squadrons were tokens. Once you reduce the ships to that scale, then it's easier to field massive fleets.

Or Halo: Fleet Battles, which had multiple ships a stand, and tokens for squads.