Zensyntax

X Wing 2.0, the most expensive version change for a miniature game in the history of gaming?

6 hours ago, Marinealver said:

$60

60010199015_40KDarkImperiumENG18.jpg+

$50

60030101036_SpaceMarineCodex01.jpg

I'd say that is more than the $40 core set plus $50 conversion kit.

For the last time, the actual rules are free but the hardcover rulebook with lore and expanded rules is included along with 53 miniatures and dice and minicodex for Death Guard and Primaris Marines for $190-$200 NZD in the Dark Imperium box. By comparison the starter box for X-Wing, 3 miniatures and 2 conversion kits would cost me $215 NZD.

Which would you say is better value for money?

Edited by NulEnvoid

22 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

I have a huuuuuuge 40k collection gathering dust. PM me for trades for X wing!!

I only have 4 ships left ? not much trading there I'm afraid.

Cheers 

Baaa 

22 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Nope, but I’ve seen the sprues.  Too much fiddly nonsense for me even if I could stomach the ruleset.  Legion, Rune Wars and Shadespire are as complicated as I want my minis to be to assemble.

I can sympathise with that; the new Necromunda models reminded why I never bought anything apart from Space Marines. 

Cheers 

Baaa 

7 hours ago, Astech said:

I hate to break it to you, but X-wing's rule book is printed in a modular manner on various cards,

Well, it used to be.  Important info is being intentionally omitted in 2.0.

7 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:
  1. FFG is supporting tournament play because this is part of their business model 
  2. FFG has financial interest to keep me happy and they have an obligation to their owners to create some form of dividend for those shareholders who invested hundrets of million of dollar into the company (FFG/Asmodee owner is  private equity.
  3. Legit point.  At least somewhat, but if you do this you will have a lot less play option which might be a big negative change for you ... or not concern you at all. 
  4. They had no obligation, but a pretty high financial incentive. Building up a dedicated user base is in FFGs best interest, because this increases sales. What FFG wants from us old players is to convert us into players of 2nd edition buyers who buy with each wave those new cards. 

And, IMHO, since it seems FFG does look to the players for input, all this complaining might:

A.  Be absolutely for nothing because XWM 2.0 is the best thing since sliced bread.

or

B.  Be the hindsight source for What Went Wrong.

1 hour ago, NulEnvoid said:

For the last time, the actual rules are free but the hardcover rulebook with lore and expanded rules is included along with 53 miniatures and dice and minicodex for Death Guard and Primaris Marines for $190-$200 NZD in the Dark Imperium box. By comparison the starter box for X-Wing, 3 miniatures and 2 conversion kits would cost me $215 NZD.

Not in the past.

So for the last time...

The Topic of this thread is WRONG!

You only need to show one case in which the statement is not true to prove the statement false

8 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, it used to be.  Important info is being intentionally omitted in 2.0.

And, IMHO, since it seems FFG does look to the players for input, all this complaining might:

A.  Be absolutely for nothing because XWM 2.0 is the best thing since sliced bread.

or

B.  Be the hindsight source for What Went Wrong.

You mean the point costs and upgrade bars not located on cards, that are only EVER useful in the squad building phase? The same information that will be continuously available on every major platform, that's easily accessible to practically everyone in the western world, and literally everyone on these forums? The same info that will be available in continuously updated documents available or printing? Yeah, that info is definitely "omitted".

A: Sliced bread is pretty amazing. I'd say "since powered flight" might be better here...

B: I really can't see X-wing flopping - or even taking a significant dive in popularity. 1 of each conversion kit and the new core is about the price of a single new wave.

11 minutes ago, Astech said:

You mean the point costs and upgrade bars not located on cards, that are only EVER useful in the squad building phase? The same information that will be continuously available on every major platform, that's easily accessible to practically everyone in the western world, and literally everyone on these forums? The same info that will be available in continuously updated documents available or printing? Yeah, that info is definitely "omitted".

Yeah, you can change the context and make me wrong.

A.  You can't play the game without building a squad, so the data is still important. 

B.  The post to which I responded was about all the rules being on the cards.  Points costs and upgrades slots are part of the rules.  They are not on the cards anymore.  They are thus omitted.

8 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Not in the past.

So for the last time...

The Topic of this thread is WRONG!

You only need to show one case in which the statement is not true to prove the statement false

So you chose to post misleading information to make your statement appear correct?

I'm sorry, but if you post information that's skewered expect it to be challenged and balanced.

Also, you chose current product as an example, so I'm not quite sure how the past now factors into it. Making your font big and shouting isn't going to make you any more right either. Especially when it doesn't relate to the actual posts in question.

Edited by NulEnvoid

22 hours ago, NulEnvoid said:

One being X-Wing and the other being Warhammer? 
Obviously X-Wing is the better value. You would need to pay me to make me play 40k ? … I think something went wrong in your argumentation. ?

Edited by SEApocalypse

10 hours ago, NulEnvoid said:

You also need 2 new codexes, one for each army (assuming they don't try and spread either of the armies over 2+ books).

Edited by Porkchop Express

49 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

A.  You can't play the game without building a squad, so the data is still important. 

B.  The post to which I responded was about all the rules being on the cards.  Points costs and upgrades slots are part of the rules.  They are not on the cards anymore.  They are thus omitted.

Fair, but I'd then highlight that point costs and upgrade bars aren't part of the rules of the game. They're features of game components, like wool being wool in Catan.

Regardless, all information is freely available. Sure, it's technically 'intentionally omitted' from individual cardboard cards, but I don't recall you complaining about the enormous FAQ very much, either.

23 hours ago, GHoooSTS said:

"You think this is bad? Well I know something EVEN WORSE!"

This isn't a particularly good defense of the new edition,

No, but it is a valid answer to the OP's question.

Answer to the OP’s question:  no, I don’t think so. 

Im an avid tabletop gamer with my hands in a (disturbing) number of pies, and I can say not. 

Mainly because they are being everything (well most) up to date with the new rules, and the conversion kits make this one of maybe a handful of games giving a big tip of the hat to veterans.

17 hours ago, Major Tom said:

That’s entirely disengenuous.  Those army changes are an intrensic part of the edition change.

No, they are on intrinsic part of army balancing between editions NOT the actual change of edition rules for every army.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Actually, in 2.0 you CAN play a game without building a squad. Just pull out the quickbuild cards and select builds totalling 8 threat, and you are good for a 200 point game.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

With quickbuild squads I think you can play the game without squad points. Might be wrong.

Edited by Handler
Ninjaed

10 minutes ago, Bulwyf said:

Only if you have a very small collection of just one faction.

Actually, you can play 40k now with free rules:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Rules

Just need your own army book.

You keep comparing converting one faction in 40K to converting an entire conllection in X-Wing, which is utterly ridiculous. Until you can show me you can get into different factions for $90, your argument is ridiculously slanted. 

And you seem to be ignoring the quality of the army you up grade to in 40K, so I’m counting bare upgrade costs too. If you want to Force the issue of collection size, i’m gonna need you to calculate what it takes to make a competitive army, not just a legal army.

Edited by SabineKey

15 hours ago, Handler said:

You're looking at this wrong. You get to play with $1100 worth of Xwing 2.0 for only $350. That's a 70% discount. Plus you can also play with  $1100 worth of 1.0 for as long as you like

excuse me? get your head out of your behind.

i do not agree with you.

that doesnt make me "wrong" anymore than it makes you wrong to disagree with me. 

We both get to make choices. i choose to spend that $350 to buy something of greater value than 2 dozen pieces of cardboard and a box of cards. for example, maybe i'll buy a ps4 and 5 games. maybe ill buy a 3d printer.

P.S. If you want to get technical, I already payed for my collection, so the additional cost is and additional purchase. if you buy a new Xbox and install your old games you arent "getting a discount".  friggin kids these days , lol

17 hours ago, Tooka-cat said:

That is what they are saying. Obviously we won't know until 2.0 has been out for awhile but they are specifically going out of their way to say that is the case. 

the Devs also swore up and down they would never realease expansions without models and yet.... i think FFGs word is garbage because they are a corporation. if they dont maximize profits at the expense of consumers they can literally be sued for it by shareholders and/or disney

8 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

You keep comparing converting one faction in 40K to converting an entire conllection in X-Wing, which is utterly ridiculous. Until you can show me you can get into different factions for $90, your argument is ridiculously slanted. 

And you seem to be ignoring the quality of the army you up grade to in 40K, so I’m counting bare upgrade costs too. If you want to Force the issue of collection size, i’m gonna need you to calculate what it takes to make a competitive army, not just a legal army.

Your post does not make any sense. Let's say you have 10,000 models in 40k in one faction. You just need the rulebook (or download the rules for free) and your army book. That one time cost lets you play 10,000 models in your one faction. How much would that cost you for one faction in X-wing 2.0? Quite a bit more than one rule book (or free rules) and one army book.

Actually with free rules you could get into two factions in 40k with just having to buy two army books for under $90.00.  Can you say that about X-wing 2.0?

There's no comparison between which is cheaper to convert. 40k is clearly cheaper especially if you have multiple factions in 2.0 you have to convert. And that doesn't even take into account how many extra conversion kits you have to purchase.

3 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

excuse me? get your head out of your behind.

i do not agree with you.

that doesnt make me "wrong" anymore than it makes you wrong to disagree with me. 

We both get to make choices. i choose to spend that $350 to buy something of greater value than 2 dozen pieces of cardboard and a box of cards. for example, maybe i'll buy a ps4 and 5 games. maybe ill buy a 3d printer.

P.S. If you want to get technical, I already payed for my collection, so the additional cost is and additional purchase. if you buy a new Xbox and install your old games you arent "getting a discount".  friggin kids these days , lol

Sure thing gramps!

My choice is to view it in a way which makes me happy to think about 2.0. I must admit to being a bit of a mindless FFG fanboy though. I know there is evil and injustice in the world, I just don't see it coming from FFG in any meaningful way. Enjoy your PS4!