Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

The Wizard's Quest official announcement

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-wizards-quest/

I hope you guys are excited! As for me, I'll be my usual negative self and say I'm pretty meh to be honest. The mechanical aspect with the customization seems amazing, and the quest will probably fun and balanced. The theme of it though... I wonder if new players that just bought the core, are amped for WoR and saw this announcement will say "****, the game designers are really obsessed with Mirkwood". TBH I feel Caleb has been kind of redundant with the themes of his quests recently, I mean we were in Harad last cycle and he still made a spider quest! And now this... At least if these stages are an indication we might get Radagast hero, I'm all for it. 

So what are your presumably more positive thoughts on this?

I'm really interested to see where it goes.  It could lead to a Dungeon Master/Sauron Mode variant which I think can be great for the longevity of the game.  It might not work out so well, but this game has been breaking new ground from the beginning so why stop?

I definitely interested. It’s a completely different kind fo deck building for the game which I would love to see expanded! I really enjoyed the harad cycle, particularly the exploration of the different mechanics. I am loving how the game keeps expanding beyond what I would have ever thought of!

Deckbuilding is my favorite part of the game, so getting to build every card in the encounter deck too sounds neat. I'm not sure I would ever play the competitive version though.

This is fantastic.  You can build your own scenarios? Wow! 

I wanna test a deck.  Build a scenario, I want to play an easier scenario, it’s been a while since I won. I want a challenge, build a super tough one.  I want to be surprised, build a random one.

i can’t say enough how great I think this is

Edited by Ywingscum

Full rules here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/8e/3f/8e3f6062-43ad-4a24-a5e3-1c61312500c7/the_wizards_quest_rules.pdf

This seems super-neat. And Woodland's Realm was confirmed by Caleb to be the Fellowship event this year, so as you can see from these rules, we'll have a bounty of customization available to us this year. :D

3 minutes ago, alexbobspoons said:

I'm loving the idea. 

Like a choose your own adventure book LotR-LCG style. 

Glad also that the completionist in me won't buy 3 copies for epic mode haha.

Really liking this idea. 

I really like this too. Looking forward to this and the Woodland Realm quest.

Pretty sure the only Thing we know is, that it will be the fellowship event (See posts above)

And from the rules posted by sappidus you can see, that it will use the same customisation model, what I think makes an Epic mode highly unlikely. 

An other thing speaking against epic Mode are the Kits used for the fellowship event. If memory serves, the Kits for epic quests would contain three quest decks, playmats etc., while before there were 4. This year the are 4 quests per Kit again. 

I am not disappointed, that we take a Break from epic quests for this year. It was a neat idea and even when you argue that one quest did it better than the other, I think the ways of Interaction between the different staging areas are fairly limited, without getting to time consuming or complex (the last event already could lead to some downtime, while you were waiting for all groups to finish the round). And you dont want to repeat the same mechanics (swapping quests stages, bosses etc) too often, as I think these event quests should really stand out in their design.  

These events are great for experiments, be it story wise by adding quests to the campain or adding game modes like 12 Player, so i am really exited about the Self Building Aspekt. 

Even though I dont care about the competitive aspect it could be fun to just the your Friends struggle against your mean deck :D and might Even be the Perfect role for people who just like to See the Game played (i have quite a des friends who often prefer to watch, independant from the game played, instead of playing them selves). They quickly throw your encounter deck together and decide what to target every now and then. Hopefully those „your enemy chooses“ cards dont make up more than 20% of the cards as I am sure it would annoy me to have someone Tell me who to kill/exhaust etc. every second encounter Card.