Force Majeure

Threat Level Midnight!

Anyone know or have ideas on how Threat Levels work? I'm only aware of each level being roughly equivalent to 25 points (as per Alex Davy on stream May 2nd during 2.0 game play).

I get that you can have a Threat Level 3 list vs another Level 3 comprised of other ships/upgrades and they will be fairly evenly matched, but I have questions. Do three Level One ships equal one Level Three ship? Or do all individual ship builds have to be the same Threat Level (i.e. my three Threat Level 3  vs. your two Threat Level 3 ships)? And what do the different colors represent?

In the pictures below you'll see Vader and Emon Azzameen are both at T Level 4 in Red, while Maarek and Koshka Frost are T Level 3 and in Orange. Combined, is  each respective group T Level 7 (4+3)? Can I mix and match different individual ships from different Quick Build lists withing the same faction? Can we build our own Quick Builds?

swz07_a1_tie-advance_spread2.pngswz13_a3_slave-1_spread2.png

Answers and wild speculation welcome!

Edited by Force Majeure

As far as we know Threat level is a general measure of how powerful the ships are on the board and will take into account ship stats, equipment, initiative and other inbuilt abilities.

The intention seems to be that a single threat three ship shoudl be a rough even match up against 3 threat one ships.

Its not meant for perfect balance but as a quick way to get a casual game going so your mileage may vary.

The builds will not be super optimised tournament builds but will be more thematic(for lack of a better word). For Example Emon gets his bombs and Luke get proton torps in their default builds.

2 minutes ago, kayarn said:

As far as we know Threat level is a general measure of how powerful the ships are on the board and will take into account ship stats, equipment, initiative and other inbuilt abilities.

The intention seems to be that a single threat three ship shoudl be a rough even match up against 3 threat one ships.

Its not meant for perfect balance but as a quick way to get a casual game going so your mileage may vary.

The builds will not be super optimised tournament builds but will be more thematic(for lack of a better word). For Example Emon gets his bombs and Luke get proton torps in their default builds.

While I agree so far that seems to be how it works, Ill be amazed if a 1threat 3 = 3 Threat 1's :) 

1 minute ago, piznit said:

While I agree so far that seems to be how it works, Ill be amazed if a 1threat 3 = 3 Threat 1's :) 

Why not?

Back in the early days of 1.0 more ships was almost always better. I lost count of the numbers of time I lost playing with the core set against two tie fighters even though my Luke Skywalker was technically far superior.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.

1 minute ago, kayarn said:

Why not?

Back in the early days of 1.0 more ships was almost always better. I lost count of the numbers of time I lost playing with the core set against two tie fighters even though my Luke Skywalker was technically far superior.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.

My point exactly.  3 ships will usually be better, therefore making 1 threat level 3 NOT worth 3 threat level 1s

The colour just corresponds with the number, I think.  Presumably 1 is green, 2 is yellow, 3 is orange, 4 is red, and I'm guessing 5 is black.

The idea is that you sum the numbers and you get lists which are roughly equal points and balanced, but how well they work will remain to be seen.

I suspect most people won't use them.

Said it in another thread, this is primarily a casual game type and balance is probably a pretty loose estimate.  I'd wager that one Threat 3 is *very* roughly equivalent to three Threat 1's, but that roughly is the key factor.  It'll be close.  It'll be close enough to be fun.  It won't be any sort of precise.

Edited by Engine25

6 minutes ago, piznit said:

My point exactly.  3 ships will usually be better, therefore making 1 threat level 3 NOT worth 3 threat level 1s

And that is where choice comes into it. If I blow all my threat on a single ship and get jumped by multiple enemies then I deserve it for being a moron.

Threat of 5+ would be ideal for me and i could scale it up anywhere from skirmish to almost epic scale really quickly.

So it's basically power level from Warhammer. Honestly, not a bad idea. Seems better implemented than power level. Might see if we can come up with a draft format. Maybe split pilots into "packs" of four or five with all pilots in a pack sharing a power level? 

2 hours ago, jwilliamson12 said:

I’m excited for this new feature. It will make teaching the game a bit easier. One problem I always have teaching the game is showing how to list build. It’s a little much for newer players.

The app will also help with this.

16 minutes ago, Hockeyzombie said:

So it's basically power level from Warhammer. Honestly, not a bad idea. Seems better implemented than power level. Might see if we can come up with a draft format. Maybe split pilots into "packs" of four or five with all pilots in a pack sharing a power level? 

Yeah, they've talked about quick build drafts a couple times now, or random quick builds.

How cool would it to be to be assigned a random Quick Build list at a tournament and jump right in? It would then be all about the skill of the player and a bit of Dice God luck instead of the Combo wing that 1.0 has been.

I'm hoping there will be different tiers of Threat Level for tournament play too. Just because someone might be playing in a Threat Level 5 tier instead of a 7 or 8 wouldn't mean their game is any less exciting, challenging or just pure fun than any other.

They really opened up a lot of room for opportunities with 2.0 and the App!