Sign in to follow this  

[Proposal] Community letter to ask for two new kits

In this thread:

a lot of people explained, why they are not looking forward to X-Wing 2.0 because of conversion costs. I got the impression that there are two main reasons:

a) The need to buy a new starter set

b) The need to buy multiple conversion sets per faction, because of one or two beloved ship types which are fielded in high numbers at the moment.

Cheap conversion kits for individual ships probably won't be coming because of the high logistical effort. So here is my proposal:

We, as a community (even if not all of us want to field specific ship types in high numbers), write a community letter and ask FFG to create two new products available for the start of 2.0.

a) A small cheap kit which contains the new templates, the new damage deck and other stuff needed for 2.0, but no ships and cards and dice.

b) A new type of conversion kit, the “spam kit” (no judgement here by using the word spam) or “small ship epic kit”. Which contains cardboard, dials and generic pilot cards for ships which are fielded in high numbers:

4 x T-65 X-Wing

4 x Y-Wing

4 x A-Wing

8 x TIE/LN

With no unique pilots and no equipment cards inside.

I know that these two kits won't solve the problems for all players. But maybe with the kits more players will be able to look forward to 2.0.

1. So what do you think?

2. Would you support such an endeavour?

3. What ships should be included in kit b) and what should be the exact numbers from your point of view?

4. Do you have a name proposal for kit b)?

Honestly... If FFG was to change anything, here would be my proposal:

1) Send the preorder T-65 damage deck and a new 1 template out to anyone who preordered ANY v2.0 stuff.  That way if you order an upgrade kit, you would get the stuff required from the core set.  And the fact that they plan on sending out the deck as a stand alone means that this really isn't any additional burden.

2) Include a second conversion set in each expansion pack.  They're already increasing the cost from $15 to $20, which is a 33% increase as it is.  If they had an upgrade kit for an addition Y wing in the Y Wing kit, then it wouldn't require you to buy as many conversion kits.  If you have 3 Y wings right now, you buy a conversion kit for the first two, and then when Wave 1 drops, you buy a Y wing, getting a new sculpt and a 3rd conversion kit.  Now you have 4 fully functional Y Wings.  This will work well especially going forward if they're going to make us buy new A Wings for new cards anyways - at least we can upgrade our 4th A Wing, and gain a 5th ship.

Perhaps people should not have bought so many doubles of anu particular skus.   

If you can justify buying doubles (or multiples) of an expansion, with all the redundant unique pilots, why the outrage over this?     There are, what, a half dozen anti conversion kit threads now?     

3 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Perhaps people should not have bought so many doubles of anu particular skus.   

If you can justify buying doubles (or multiples) of an expansion, with all the redundant unique pilots, why the outrage over this?     There are, what, a half dozen anti conversion kit threads now?     

There was similar outrage (and fairly warranted at both times imo) when they dropped Imp and Rebel Aces.  Especially that early in the game, it wasn't uncommon for folks to buy 4 B Wings because you can fly 4 in 100 points.  Just to find out that they were being "forced" to buy Rebel Aces, and actually two sets of it to get enough B/E2 cards, giving you 6 B Wings, when you only need 4.  Though still to this day, I think that the lack of Alpha Interceptor cards in the Imp Aces (and the same thing in Imp Vets) is more obnoxious.

41 minutes ago, 235711 said:

a) A small cheap kit which contains the new templates, the new damage deck and other stuff needed for 2.0, but no ships and cards and dice.

b) A new type of conversion kit, the “spam kit” (no judgement here by using the word spam) or “small ship epic kit”. Which contains cardboard, dials and generic pilot cards for ships which are fielded in high numbers:

4 x T-65 X-Wing

4 x Y-Wing

4 x A-Wing

8 x TIE/LN

With no unique pilots and no equipment cards inside.

I know that these two kits won't solve the problems for all players. But maybe with the kits more players will be able to look forward to 2.0.

1. So what do you think?

2. Would you support such an endeavour?

3. What ships should be included in kit b) and what should be the exact numbers from your point of view?

4. Do you have a name proposal for kit b)?

1. I love it. I was thinking about how to best convert my collection and had a similar idea. My idea was to have like an A-wing pack that had 3 generics and dials, another for B-wing, and so on.

2. In a heartbeat. One conversion kit per faction plus the "spam kit" and I'm pretty much perfect.

3. I'd add Z-95, M3-A, TIE Interceptor, and maybe B-wing.

4. Squadron (or Swarm) Filler ????

52 minutes ago, Khyros said:

Honestly... If FFG was to change anything, here would be my proposal:

1) Send the preorder T-65 damage deck and a new 1 template out to anyone who preordered ANY v2.0 stuff.  That way if you order an upgrade kit, you would get the stuff required from the core set.  And the fact that they plan on sending out the deck as a stand alone means that this really isn't any additional burden.

You’ll need a complete set of templates from what I’ve seen. The new bases don’t have nubs. You line up the  line on the template with a line on the cardboard on the base.

3 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

You’ll need a complete set of templates from what I’ve seen. The new bases don’t have nubs. You line up the  line on the template with a line on the cardboard on the base.

Yes they do.  You can see them in the TC vs. Alex game.  Plus that would be a huge mistake for speed of game.

Better proposal: A system of global communication allowing individuals to sell extra things they have to other individuals who need those things. Then you can buy your extras OR buy the extra kit and sell your extras. I hear Jacques Vallee was working on a system like this several decades ago.

Just now, Talonbane Cobra said:

yah i have pre-ordered 2 Rebel and 2 Imperial kits so I will be selling any kit I don't need for £3 or so each probably. 

Hopefully you'll be good in 2.0.

I'm a big fan.

Edited by Boba Rick

I think just a Core Set Conversion Kit would be fine.

This is going to lead to a flood of ships in the secondary market which should be nice for new people coming in.  New peeps are the lifeblood of this game.