Jump to content
Themodalnodes

The Modal Nodes Conversion Cantina - Vandor Chewie

Recommended Posts

Now that I've settled into some Legion creativity after my time painting Armada I thought I would create a thread here.
I won't be posting too many paint jobs as mine aren't terribly impressive, but I've begun lending my hand to converting the mini's to make my arms unique.
Plenty more to come (I have some bigs plans for my AT-ST) but here's a taste for now. Stay tuned :)

 

Celebration Luke (WIP)

Pretty surprised I haven't seen a rendition of this out in the world yet.
One my my favourite outfits. Luke's award ceremony jacket from ANH, and his main outfit in the new Marvel comics.
The lightsaber blade will be replaced with the neon plastic transparent rod which why it is mostly unpainted.

IMG7574.jpgIMG7575.jpg

 

In order to get Luke's existing outfit to look like the jacket, I built up an overhanging section to extend past the tucked in belt section, and built up the collar and shoulder ribbing jacket details with Green Stuff. This was done after priming as I am indecisive haha

 

IMG7556.jpgIMG7555.jpgIMG7554.jpg

 

Converted Squad Leaders

Just a basic head swap for my Durosian friend.
For my Veteran Stormtrooper Captain I removed his head and hollowed it out, and repositioned his arm to be holding it as a helmet (painted battle damage).
The head was a spare from a friends 40k Marines, and I picked the most Star Wars-y head available ( a little bit of Lobot cybernetics).
His squad will be a heavily converted squad of veterans left deployed planet-side without support for too long, and gone a little war crazy. 
Upcoming are decorated heavy weapons specialists, poncho wearing stealth troopers and heavily laden supply experts.

 

 

IMG7576.jpg

Pre paint for the Stormtrooper:

IMG72752.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Themodalnodes
Update title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ritalbringer said:

Congrats on the Veteran Stormtrooper, he rocks!

Some pictures step by step of the conversions would have been awesome :)

Thanks a lot!

I've added a pre-painted shot of the Stormtrooper captain, and will be documenting further conversions better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth mentioning that prior to that Luke above, I've never used Green Stuff before, so excuse some of the funky practices and dodgy appearances as I stumble my way through this.

Next up for the squad of veteran Stormtroopers to accompany the captain above, I've tried a couple more conversions.
This Stormtrooper unit have been left on Jedha after the Death Star's test firing, keeping order on a lawless world and abandoned by the Empire.
 

Poncho Marksman

Influenced in part by Eadu, and partially by the upcoming Mimban troopers, I wanted to reflect a trooper used to adverse weather. I *sculpted (*using this term very loosely) a Green Stuff poncho and added an additional sight to the troopers E-11.

IMG7557.jpgIMG7558.jpg

These troopers feature a lot more of a weather look than my other trooper units, with no gloss on remaining on their armour. As this trooper is the marksman of the unit, I thought it would be a nice idea and further visual identifier to include his kill count on his armour, which he has scratched in as the uniformity of the Empire drifts further and further from his mind.

IMG7610.jpgIMG7611.jpgIMG7612.jpg

Injured Warrior

With a set of squad leader arms remaining from an earlier conversion I figured I would give a regular trooper an alternate stance.
This trooper cradles a large shot in the stomach as he fights on with no hope of reinforcements.

IMG7613.jpgIMG7614.jpg

 

I'll be basing this squad on broken statues, marketplace banners and lots of sand. more pictures to come.
I've also spent the weekend working on their accompanying AT-ST which I'll post pictures of soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Themodalnodes said:

It's worth mentioning that prior to that Luke above, I've never used Green Stuff before, so excuse some of the funky practices and dodgy appearances as I stumble my way through this.

Well, you're doing pretty alright so far!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ABXY said:

Well, you're doing pretty alright so far!

 

right? my first go at green stuff looked a wad of chewing gum. this guy has some natural skill

 

18 hours ago, Themodalnodes said:

 

IMG7610.jpgIMG7611.jpgIMG7612.jpg

this poncho looks spot on for Misty from SCAR squadron who is also the units marksmen. im in the process of converting a SCAR squadron so thanks for the motivation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Themodalnodes said:

@ABXY @Bohemian73 Thank you so much. Appreciate the kind words!

 

@thebigeb2589 Haha thanks a lot. Definitely getting better. I had totally thought about SCAR squadron members as well. I believe his is more of a full length cape, but I definitely took inspiration from the canon of a stormtrooper with a hood on from those comics.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Task_Force_99

nope yours is perfect lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I suppose the time has come to start documenting the conversion of my Jedha AT-ST.
Matching the concept of the veteran troopers above, I wanted to depict a walker left stationed on Jedha in an abandoned garrison after the Death Star's test firing.
The walker would be a mobile base station, like WWII tanks, so I wanted to create an appearance of heavy utility.

Jedha Garrison AT-ST (Part 1)

To make the AT ST standout and convey the theme I sculpted numerous tarps and bag rolls out of green stuff.
This was a combination of scratch building, as well as taking molds of the Speeder Bike bag rolls for easy reproduction.
I also took a mold of an old LOTR terrain piece, to add to the base of the AT-ST as some toppled Holy City statue detail.

IMG7634.jpg

Next you can see me start to lay out the pieces to determine what will fit to the head (I hadn't finished the ropes holding the front roll yet).

IMG7598.jpg

And here is some shots of the final pose, terrain & conversions on the walker, ready for priming.

IMG7644.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Jedha Garrison AT-ST (Part 2)

I've think I'm done with this for now.

I've heavily washed and weathered the left behind AT-ST. Really happy with how the rust and dirt stains have turned out, especially on the back.

All that's left to do on this bad boy now is to create a torn up shop shelter out of Green Stuff and have it stretched across the support pole you can see on the base.
This guy goes well with my completed Survivors of Jedha veteran squad, which I'll snap some pics of when my lightbox arrives!


Let me know your thoughts :)

IMG7744.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Themodalnodes said:

 

Jedha Garrison AT-ST (Part 2)

I've think I'm done with this for now.

I've heavily washed and weathered the left behind AT-ST. Really happy with how the rust and dirt stains have turned out, especially on the back.

All that's left to do on this bad boy now is to create a torn up shop shelter out of Green Stuff and have it stretched across the support pole you can see on the base.
This guy goes well with my completed Survivors of Jedha veteran squad, which I'll snap some pics of when my lightbox arrives!


Let me know your thoughts :)

 

Wow, I love it! It's got a real Afrika Korps feel to it.

I have to ask, though, did you do anything to counterbalance it? Weights on the base, perhaps? The pose is fantastic, it really captures that mid-stride look but the model looks terribly unbalanced for tabletop use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Wow, I love it! It's got a real Afrika Korps feel to it.

I have to ask, though, did you do anything to counterbalance it? Weights on the base, perhaps? The pose is fantastic, it really captures that mid-stride look but the model looks terribly unbalanced for tabletop use.

Thanks a lot! @SFC Snuffy @Albertese

It's actually surprisingly stable despite the stance! I have no stability issues with it whatsoever and with display or movement it has never fallen over.
You can feel that it is very slightly front of centre heavy, so I may eventually counterbalance it so it just feels a bit nicer to hold, but there is no real need or rush to do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, Mep said:

May I suggest this stuff instead of green stuff. It is just like clay, can be smooth and sculpted with water and probably cheaper by the pound.

SC-1227.jpg

Amazon sells this stuff but Tap Plastic is a great place to order all kinds of plastic modeling stuff.

You can get GS pretty cheap if you buy the big rolls on ebay rather than the tiny GF9/GW packages. That said - use both; when mixed you get the positive qualities of both putties plus extended work time. Any of the "clay-ish" epoxies will work; Magic Sculpt, Milliput Fine, Apoxie Sculpt(I use Apoxie myself because I got a good deal on some).  I'd use vaseline rather than water though, less messy.

Also, if you don't yet have them OP, grab some rubber-tipped brushes(typically named colour shapers, sometimes clay shapers). Nothing improved my sculpting - except for practice, obviously - more than those, they handle cloth, musculature, and general smoothing and blending so much better than the basic metal tool most folk start with. To start I'd recommend Black(firm) Size 0 Flat Chisel and Taper Point, Grey(medium) Size 0 Round Cup and Size 2 Flat Chisel, and White(soft) Size 6 Flat Chisel and Round Cup.

Regardless, loving your theme, makes them nice and individualised without having to deviate from the "proper" colourscheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

You can get GS pretty cheap if you buy the big rolls on ebay rather than the tiny GF9/GW packages. That said - use both; when mixed you get the positive qualities of both putties plus extended work time. Any of the "clay-ish" epoxies will work; Magic Sculpt, Milliput Fine, Apoxie Sculpt(I use Apoxie myself because I got a good deal on some).  I'd use vaseline rather than water though, less messy.

Also, if you don't yet have them OP, grab some rubber-tipped brushes(typically named colour shapers, sometimes clay shapers). Nothing improved my sculpting - except for practice, obviously - more than those, they handle cloth, musculature, and general smoothing and blending so much better than the basic metal tool most folk start with. To start I'd recommend Black(firm) Size 0 Flat Chisel and Taper Point, Grey(medium) Size 0 Round Cup and Size 2 Flat Chisel, and White(soft) Size 6 Flat Chisel and Round Cup.

Regardless, loving your theme, makes them nice and individualised without having to deviate from the "proper" colourscheme.

 

Thanks for the recommendations! I had never seen the rubber brushes until they popped up in a video I was researching yesterday and they look great.
I'll absolutely be jumping on some soon, and also be looking into your suggestions on mixing putties. At the moment I buy the cheap large rolls of Green Stuff on ebay.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep trying and hopefully continue to improve!


Also for those excited about the Solo launch today, here's a dodgy Mudtrooper from the Veers model!

When compiling this pic I realised I had the breathing hoses in the wrong place, so I redid those this morning with Green Stuff instead of paper clip!
Will also be working on the cape to give a better shape and removing the fingerprints.

IMG7760.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×