Autosketch

Creating Interceptor art: "Targets of Opportunity" (Updated with Art Card)

7 hours ago, citruscannon said:

... because I'm not a licensed lucasfilm artist...

And this is a tragedy! 

(weeeeeeeell, 'tragedy' might be too strong a word :D - but a shame nevertheless

Edited by ABXY

2 hours ago, citruscannon said:

paintings of rebels and scum must clearly only be completed by an alter ego.

I have a few speed-sketches that will eventually make their way into full pieces in one form or another, there are some others that haven't seen the light of day yet. I just have to let them ferment long enough until they get really ripe, and then hatch. That's a very technical and scientific description of how art is made. :D

TO0ALTn.png
E70MvEK.png
h2oSU0R.jpg

Wow, and these are speed sketches? Incredible! I mean, just LOOK at that Firespray! Truly awesome.

4 hours ago, GLEXOR said:

No plans for rebel pilots? I would love some alt arts of this caliber of beauty!

ok, I'm letting fel wait overnight so I can look at it fresh tomorrow before I fix the cloud and call it done.
This was a pretty popular thread, so I'll start a new one. How's about a B-wing.

6 hours ago, citruscannon said:

yep. 

Next up is a TIE defender ace then 2 TIE interceptor aces, I'll not name them until we find out what other aces come in the packs, but if it's the same as before probably Col. Vessery, Turr Phennir, and (as long as he's got an awesome ability, Fel's Wrath?)

6 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

You have to do Fel's Wrath if for no other reason than to honor his legacy.

For Fel’s Wrath it would be awesome to do the same scene as Soontir but from FW’s point of view, perhaps an over-the-shoulder shot of the X-Wing exploding. 

As for his ability, it would be cool if it triggered off of enemy ships that are in another friendly ship’s bullseye arc, so that it pairs well with Soontir. Something like “when performing an attack, if the defending ship is inside another friend ship’s bullseye arc then it rolls 1 fewer defense dice”

Edited by Herowannabe
Typo

19 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

For Fel’s Wrath it would be awesome to do the same scene as Soontir but from FW’s point of view, perhaps an over-the-shoulder shot off the X-Wing exploding. 

As for his ability, it would be cool if it triggered off of enemy ships that are in another friendly ship’s bullseye arc, so that it pairs well with Soontir. Something like “when performing an attack, if the defending ship is inside another friend ship’s bullseye arc then it rolls 1 fewer defense dice”

great idea. definitely doable for Fel's Wrath.

23 hours ago, ABXY said:

And this is a tragedy! 

(weeeeeeeell, 'tragedy' might be too strong a word :D - but a shame nevertheless

Appreciated :)

I wanted to apply, but I don't have the time anymore :(
My current work, which I really enjoy, doesn't give me enough time on the side to paint professionally

Edited by citruscannon

On 5/4/2018 at 5:23 AM, citruscannon said:

Hi Folks, 

With the exciting news about 2.0 I thought I'd turn my attention back to some other projects beyond game mods. I'd like to add to the collection of free alt arts I've been building on, and I thought you might like to see the next one. As soon as I've got information on the statistics of Soontir Fel I'll get this drafted up as a 2.0-compliant alt art card for you all.

In the meantime, I'll use this thread to walk through the process of painting an alt art. I'll post progress here. I'll put the state of the finished piece at thefront with each major iteration, and post clips and crops below.
If you're interested in what this will look like when finished, to see some other paintings, please visit https://citrus7workshop.wordpress.com/downloads/

Black and white:
7ZkeCyp.jpg
Colour Blocking: 
Z69ZQL6.jpg

Interceptor first pass:

z9e6Khg.jpg

Interceptor pass 2:
kt5MUQp.jpg

Starting to work through the backdrop details like the flameout on the x-wing engines, the smoke trail, debris, and the fields below:

hRanja5.jpg

Tidied up the smoke, the horizon line, and put in the guns and hardware.

yv7n1hA.jpg

Undercoat layer for the clouds:

RH6tgmc.jpg

Detailing on the clouds and starting work on the high altitude clouds:
1iFAfr8.jpg

Blood stripes, more cloud detailing, tidying up edges across the whole image:

5RrEW8z.jpg

Would you mind if I used it as a FB cover photo? I could tag you if you want

Why are there not more threads like this on here?

This is a true contribution to the X-wing community.

Gorgeous to look at, people being positive and complimentary,  great talent being shared.

Wonderful ingredients like these dont need salt to be enjoyed.

Thank you so much for this post and the fantastic work.

20 hours ago, ABXY said:

Do whatever takes your fancy - we're all in awe at everything! 

?

20 hours ago, IdleFool said:

Agreed @GLEXOR that Firespray looks amazing. Reminds me of so many Sci-Fi books I used to read.

@citruscannon How long on average do you spend on line art? Do you do pen and paper first or go straight to digital when going for a finished digital painting?

Uh, I try not to let the rough sketches go over 15 minutes. Once I have settled on a vision of what I want to do, I then spend an hour getting the proportions right. I do all of this on the computer.
So to go from concept to finished lineart is probably around 1hr30mins.

I am not well-practised at this, so I'm still figuring out what works well for me, but I'm finding that the more time I put into getting really good quality linework done, and not being too sloppy, it pays off enormously when I'm trying to figure out how to light everything. 

I often will build a 3d maquette to help me with this, so for example, on the interceptor piece, I used a very rudimentary model of an interceptor done in sketchup posed three different ways (for each of the ships) to help as a reference. I used to make actual mockups using my X-wing models but in practice I have found I can better simulate camera angle focal distances with the 3D tools in photoshop. I will show this process in the B-wing sketch as I did not document it, but it's pretty much just following the exact same approach James Gurney uses in "Imaginative Realism", which (along with "colour and light") is the best Art book I own. I'm not formally trained, but trying to become as close to it as possible by studying these texts and others. (https://www.amazon.ca/Imaginative-Realism-Paint-Doesnt-Exist/dp/0740785508)

20 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Would you mind if I used it as a FB cover photo? I could tag you if you want

it's free fanart, as long as you don't sell it, pass it off, or modify it with other stuff you can do as you like with it. :)

16 hours ago, Echoseven said:

Why are there not more threads like this on here?

This is a true contribution to the X-wing community.

Gorgeous to look at, people being positive and complimentary,  great talent being shared.

Wonderful ingredients like these dont need salt to be enjoyed.

Thank you so much for this post and the fantastic work.

Very glad you enjoy it! I've done some behind the scenes stuff before, but I wasn't really very good at it before, so I figured having a clearly documented process was worth a go. I'm happy people like to watch things come together.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:00 PM, citruscannon said:

Very flattered! I can't coordinate prints because I'm not a licensed lucasfilm artist, but I'll make sure to post up the piece in the highest res I can when I'm done. Staples might be a good place to try

On a separate note, did a rough mockup of what the card might look like. I have to fiddle with the interface a bit, but you get the gist.

s1epVsR.jpg

heh, yea, tempting to put a small boat in the distance, with a black tape line down the middle.

nevertheless, I'll do a B-Wing next, I'm leaving this piece for a week to let me look at it fresh one more time before calling it totally done, and get it sorted as a card after the 18th (hopefully we find out what the exact full card looks like then).

over the shoulder shot, B-wing vs... something. I'll be back!

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Can I suggest a B-Wing vs a capital ship of some sort, since that what they were designed for? Maybe a Raider? ;) 

that's a good idea! 
I was thinking of a B-wing on approach, with an imperial fleet in the far distance, something from endor. 

4 hours ago, citruscannon said:

here's a test card for x-wing 2.0:

IxKYlX5.jpg

I will probably keep tinkering with this interface as I get used to the new 2.0 specs, but this is the general idea for a card with a template that is broadly accessible for all pilot cards.

I’d be in favor of making the action icons a little bigger- maybe up to the same size as the stat numbers on the left. With all the linked action stuff going on in second edition it’s going to be a lot harder to just memorize a ship’s action bar and never look at it again, which means we’ll need to reference the action bar more often. 

Oh also, you might need one more spot for stats on the left side (for future proofing, not for the interceptor itself obviously), what with the addition of stats for additional arcs, force points, and charges and all. I’m not sure which ship actually has the most stats on it- maybe Asajj? Front arc, Mobile arc, defense, shields, hull, force. That’s 6 right there.

But other than that the layout looks gorgeous! Great work @citruscannon! I can’t wait to get this (and your other alt-arts, once you’re able to update them to 2.0) printed out! :D 

7 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I’d be in favor of making the action icons a little bigger- maybe up to the same size as the stat numbers on the left. With all the linked action stuff going on in second edition it’s going to be a lot harder to just memorize a ship’s action bar and never look at it again, which means we’ll need to reference the action bar more often. 

Oh also, you might need one more spot for stats on the left side (for future proofing, not for the interceptor itself obviously), what with the addition of stats for additional arcs, force points, and charges and all. I’m not sure which ship actually has the most stats on it- maybe Asajj? Front arc, Mobile arc, defense, shields, hull, force. That’s 6 right there.

But other than that the layout looks gorgeous! Great work @citruscannon! I can’t wait to get this (and your other alt-arts, once you’re able to update them to 2.0) printed out! :D 

hm, good idea, I sized it so I can squeeze two in there on a slight diagonal for the linked actions, but I can try enlarging it a smidge. 

I wondered about that but since it's the marginal case I settled for doing 5, which covers charges or the force, and in cases where there are multiple arcs I'll stack them outwards to the right I think. I'll try both, I'd rather settle for larger numbers and fewer empty circles on cards if possible.