Mu0n729

X-Wing Vassal for 2nd edition

1 hour ago, gadwag said:

It hasn't been a dealbreaker before now, so I don't see it becoming a dealbreaker going forward

I fished out a few large bases. The old, scuffed ones were much closer to parity in width x height. The newer ones are not. So yeah, there's no static version of x-wing since its infancy.

4 hours ago, Mu0n729 said:

I fished out a few large bases. The old, scuffed ones were much closer to parity in width x height. The newer ones are not. So yeah, there's no static version of x-wing since its infancy.

This is very true. I've been measuring cardboard templates recently so I can cut my own acrylics and there is significant variation between sets. I'm both surprised the bases are affected (a top down mold shouldn't cause lengthwise expansion) and not surprised (board game component tolerance doesn't need to be perfect). If we wanted perfect, we should get someone like Lego to make out board games.

I reckon just stick with square bases in Vassal, at least for now.

Edit: Others in X-Wing slack are of the same opinion

Edited by gadwag

A lot of progress has been made:

all arc angles and intersect points with the front slightly tweaked

medium moves + template used in movement's location for overlap trigger + collision aide placement if there's a bump's location

barrel rolls move the ship directly (there's no template placement as in the old 'alt-r' and 'ctrl-r' with no final position - those shortcuts just attempt to move the ship, centered, on the side)

hard coded list is spawned with 'tcdemo1' entered into the autospawn text box and gives us this:

Tn2NE60.png

This method of spawning is going to be thrown out eventually, it's half-manual, half-automatic and was hard to achieve (especially with sfoils and pivot wing)

I'm gonna hard code a few more so that we can proxy 2.0 to our hearts' desires and attempt to fix the small mobile turret autorange (it's wonky and I dunno why) 

I won't even bother with cards for now, which is a whole serious new problem

4 minutes ago, Mu0n729 said:

Internal squad builders popping everywhere? I might as well here too...

This will also be good for doing the quick build squads as you can assign upgrades the ships dont have in the standard game

Autospawn 2.0 will have this optional feature, as a way to:

1. quickly build without 3rd party dependance (if they are temporarily down, or just abandoned)

2. uses the community xwing-data2 so it's automatically being updated

3. exports to XWS format which should be used by as many online and app builders (and computer "ways" to play the game...) from the community as possible

4. build broken illegal lists that uses illegal upgrades, mixes factions together - these lists won't be validated under the game rules

The reasons why I don't verify the validity of the lists with this tool:

1. List validity will be maitained by FFG and the more mature squad builders anyway

2. This is your chance to test wacky cross-faction lists for your very customized games - online builders rarely (or never) allowed this, so it's a little dream come true

3. validated lists and illegal lists will be clearly marked after they are spawned inside the vassal module

Left to do: do the actual autospawn and scoup up all the pieces together!

Tons of progress, but I've poured my free time into advancing autospawn (pilot and upgrade cards, ship bases for all 3 sizes, single turret and double turrets when applicable 100% redone arc graphics (slightly adjusted angles) for every possibility + 7 factions, almost every token, condition cards + their token) and the very useful content checker which will be a blessing for every player in the long term when the waves add new content and a leg up for me to add the avalanche of day-1 2nd edition content now.

I didn't dedicate a lot of time into broadcasting where I make progress on every platform because this is surprisingly time consuming (there are a lot of places where I advertise the vassal module) and I didn't want to erode my module advancing efforts. Both these features are almost all done so the next step is populating the content (hundreds of new cards) in our revamped over-the-air data repo that vassal checks out and then lets you know what to download while the module is running.

I post quick screenshots and videos to the #random room in the vassal league slack after every important milestone, so you may be interested to tune in there. Go to http://xwvassal.info to request an invite on the leftmost panel, and when you have an account, join in using the Communicate panel of that same website.

2 hours ago, Mu0n729 said:

Tons of progress, but I've poured my free time into advancing autospawn (pilot and upgrade cards, ship bases for all 3 sizes, single turret and double turrets when applicable 100% redone arc graphics (slightly adjusted angles) for every possibility + 7 factions, almost every token, condition cards + their token) and the very useful content checker which will be a blessing for every player in the long term when the waves add new content and a leg up for me to add the avalanche of day-1 2nd edition content now.

I didn't dedicate a lot of time into broadcasting where I make progress on every platform because this is surprisingly time consuming (there are a lot of places where I advertise the vassal module) and I didn't want to erode my module advancing efforts. Both these features are almost all done so the next step is populating the content (hundreds of new cards) in our revamped over-the-air data repo that vassal checks out and then lets you know what to download while the module is running.

I post quick screenshots and videos to the #random room in the vassal league slack after every important milestone, so you may be interested to tune in there. Go to http://xwvassal.info to request an invite on the leftmost panel, and when you have an account, join in using the Communicate panel of that same website.

Done.

Excellent work on the module. I put in a lot of hours into the SW: Armada module, but I never did anything like the autospawn feature or the overlap checking. That's all very neat!

I just decided to try X-wing again now that 2.0 is coming, and I would love some practice on Vassal!

Here's an alpha version (8.1.9) for which I'd really love some feedback: https://github.com/Mu0n/XWVassal/releases

Things to know right away: spawning a list is done with the "Spawn 2.0" button in your player window. Select your faction (or none) and use the internal builder (or use YASB 2.0 and export to XWS format, then copy paste it in the box of the internal builder)  https://raithos.github.io/?

YASB2.0 attempts to enforce squad legality (does a good job for the most part but there might be glitches here and there. Please direct feedback to him for anything you notice)

My internal builder does absolultely no squad validity checks. Go crazy.

Known issues: pilot and upgrade cards have no art so they spawn with placeholder images (all upgrades have the r2-d2 art....this will be changed). All 2.0 tokens can be found in Pieces/2nd edition/tokens. The autospawn layout can't yet spawn your charge and force charge tokens on top of the appropriate cards. Even though some ships have an aux arc, it doesn't yet appear on the base, but you can always activate the autorange shortcuts no matter what arc is really present on a ship (e.g. ctrl-shift-v for back). Single turret and double turrets act the same way as the old lancer-class - I think I put them in the right click menu, otherwise it's CTRL-M to rotate clockwise, ctrl-shift-m for CCW. Toggle the turret arc: alt-F. Autorange for turrets is incomplete/buggy (since it'll try to do the lancer-class style check that also includes the front arc). Full Front Arc autorange check is also almost right but not quite perfect yet. It should nevertheless work in 97% of cases.

A full 2.0 game is in theory playable with this version.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Not sure if I'm doing this right:

I've opened the module, but when I look at Pieces I just get a lot of this:

- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_red.png
 - Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_green.png
 - Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_blue.png

etc

I see the Movement cards and both maneuver dial versions.

X-wing 1.0 works just fine. All my other modules too.

4 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Not sure if I'm doing this right:

I've opened the module, but when I look at Pieces I just get a lot of this:

- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_red.png
 - Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_green.png
 - Bad Data in Module: Image not found Ship_Base_rebelalliance_awing_blue.png

etc

I see the Movement cards and both maneuver dial versions.

X-wing 1.0 works just fine. All my other modules too.

OK. Sp basically I have to spawn from the internal builder or import XWS. Got it. Nothing to see here. Move along.

7 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

When spawning Lothal Rebels, Lock tokens were not spawned. (or charges on leia, but you already mentined that)

Yeah locks don't spawn because it tries to get "target locks" iirc. I'll take a note of it when I add the new art for it. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Incard said:

Thanks so much for your time and effort, Mu0n. The quality is more than we deserve!

I'm sure you know this missing feature: banked barrel rolls for Starvipers.

Banked barrel rolls can still happen the old fashioned way (placing a centered template). Check the entry for "weird ships" inside the module in the "how to & shortcuts" section, and maybe I put an entry for it in my guide http://xwvassal.info/guide

But thanks for your feedback, that thing slipped out of my mind for a long while. I'll try to make them work like the rest of the BRs

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

OK. Sp basically I have to spawn from the internal builder or import XWS. Got it. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Your error messages are related to the first edition art assets. I removed them because it makes the module about 45 megs lighter. You can get back the content inside content checker if you really want. The error messages happen right away when the Pieces window is opened and tried to render the rebel a-wing panel that gets opened by default. 

Good catch though on what is merely an annoyance but could lead to a lot of questions from confused users. I could try to make another non-problematic panel open first.

1 bank should be blue on rebel z-95, dial shows white

1 bank should be blue on scum yt1300, dial shows white

weird tile behavior for scum yt1300, moving funny with 3 bank, seems to create a second, ghost tile or something, moves are at a weird angle after the bug occurs.

bomb spawner appearing inside the ship (about 1/2 the template is under the ship) for scum 1300 and lancer class

6 hours ago, Mu0n729 said:

Banked barrel rolls can still happen the old fashioned way (placing a centered template). Check the entry for "weird ships" inside the module in the "how to & shortcuts" section, and maybe I put an entry for it in my guide http://xwvassal.info/guide

the keyboard shortcuts alt-j, alt-k, and the shift-versions of those two are not spawning barrel roll templates as they did in the past. manual template is the only way at the moment. which reminds me: add center lines to maneuver templates.

4 hours ago, Incard said:

1 bank should be blue on rebel z-95, dial shows white

1 bank should be blue on scum yt1300, dial shows white

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on this source of data:
http://xhud.sirjorj.com/xwing.cgi/dialcomp

those dial suggestions of yours are in conflict with it - do you have a solid source for them?

It's very possible you're right, mind you. I've had half a dozen people helping me validate my own bank of movement knowledge at http://xwvassal.info/dialgen/dialgen

Once my bank was mature enough, I sent over the information to Guido Kessels for him to update his own stuff at: 

https://github.com/guidokessels/xwing-data2

the vassal module ultimately automatically pulls data from that last link when it generates the dials on the fly when you autospawn stuff.

Edited by Mu0n729

@Incard

Another reputed source is this huge collection of screencaps/article scoopings of 2.0 changes. Here is a picture of the Z-95 dial (hopefully the direct link to that section leads you there)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBD6vYa6cXMFsQNdbfSK1kjQdscdsQ_aLfMTbGqRsfY/edit#heading=h.h8v1c64du88s

and I haven't seen any source of information on the scum customized yt-1300 dial. Right now, I'm assuming it's the same as the customized yt-1300 but it's based on nothing but economy of effort on my part :P

The dials were correct in vassal, that was my mistake. I think my opponent and I were just caught off guard by the change in those dials combined with yasb 2.0 having the incorrect info that matched our expectations. Sorry about that one! Half the work of fixing stuff must be sorting out this kind of mistake!

3 minutes ago, Incard said:

The dials were correct in vassal, that was my mistake. I think my opponent and I were just caught off guard by the change in those dials combined with yasb 2.0 having the incorrect info that matched our expectations. Sorry about that one! Half the work of fixing stuff must be sorting out this kind of mistake!

Getting everyone to use the XWS format took about 3 weeks of discussion and was centered mainly on how to uniquely identify what required to be unique and what didn't (It turns out it's pilot cards and upgrade cards...) and how to resolve naming conflicts (Han Solos, Chewbacca, etc.)

I did not have the heart to even begin to suggest to enforce we all use the same source of data, everyone sees it differently and have a lot of hours sunk into it. The downside is that we all inherit more hours fixing mistakes in our own databanks.