Sign in to follow this  
RayGuns

How about a No-Ship Core Set option? * Basic 2.0 Upgrade Kit *

21 hours ago, Zura said:

Or just make a scum core set as well so new scum players don't feel scammed.

Scum and scammed are like peanut butter and jelly. The go well together. ?

8 hours ago, NulEnvoid said:

I’m not sure why this wouldn’t be part of the conversion kits.

Actually, three good reasons:

1. Players will need to buy multiple Conversion Kits. If the core basics (rulers, dice, rule book, damage deck, and so on) were in each kit, that would be a lot of waste!
  2. Including all the core basics as well as all the other Conversion stuff would increase the cost.
  3. Offering a No-Ship Core will be a big help because a lot of fans have already bought the original core set and so already have the ships and only need the new core basics (rulers, dice, rule book, damage deck, and so on). So offering a No-Ship Core set and Conversion Kits would be a better choice. And because there are no ship models in the No-Ship Core set, the cost would be significantly less.

Having the option to buy a No-Ship Core set would be most welcomed by the X-Wing fans. For those new players just joining, a 2.0 core set with ship miniatures would also be available.

For the first print run, they will print more of the No-Ship Core Sets than the Core Sets that will have the ships, because I can already predict that the No-Ship Core Sets will sell out fast!

Edited by RayGuns

That's more like a 2.0 Basic Upgrade Kit . Core Set implies at least being able to play the game in some form with nothing else.  It is too bad they didn't go with that and it's way too late in terms of production unfortunately.  

Edited by AlexW

I would be happy if they just offered the damage deck as a stand alone product. We have multiple players playing on a single ship collection. So every time they change the damage deck I have to shell out and extra $40 to get a second deck.

11 minutes ago, AlexW said:

That's more like a 2.0 Basic Upgrade Kit . Core Set implies at least being able to play the game in some form with nothing else.  It is too bad they didn't go with that and it's way too late in terms of production unfortunately.  

That is a good point, and it really should be called a Basic Upgrade Kit. Everything would be included in the standard core set except the three ship miniatures.

Basic Upgrade Kit - Waring: Ship Miniatures Not Included! This 2.0 upgrade kit is for the owners of the 1.0 core set.

or even something like:

Basic 2.0 Upgrade Kit - Waring: X-Wing 1.0 Core set required. Ships Miniatures Not Included!

8 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

As a SCUM player buying another core set is starting to really bug me.

Yeah, same. I love the conversion kits. I love everything I've heard about 2.0. I do not love the mandatory core sets. In the end I'll bite the bullet because it's a small admission fee for the overhaul of the whole game, but it's definitely annoying.

So tired of getting this stupid X-Wing and 2x TIE Fighters shoved at me. I don't want more of those, thank you!! ?

I think the best we can currently hope for is to pre-order core sets that come with the promo damage deck (so you get two damage decks in total) and then splitting the cost with a buddy so that you each get one deck. Now if only I knew what retailers were going to be able to get and provide those bonus damage decks...

1 hour ago, Hobojebus said:

Yeah I'm not really thrilled to get more tie fighters and another x-wing, I refused to buy tfa core set for the same reason.

You and a lot of other people feel the same way. This is just one of several reasons way FFG should have a No-Ship core set, or better known as a Basic 2.0 Upgrade Kit.

Basic Upgrade Kit - Waring: Ship Miniatures Not Included! This 2.0 upgrade kit is for the owners of the 1.0 core set.

Edited by RayGuns

The problem with this idea is that while it makes perfect sense from a community standpoint, every one of these "X-Wing Essentials" sets that gets sold is (probably) one fewer 2.0 Core Set that gets sold.  FFG would be competing with itself and seeing how core sets are probably already loss-leaders adding another product that devalues it even further makes no economic sense.

Edited by Braneric

I would be all for a shipless upgrade kit. I don’t mind the X-Wing model for some articulated wings (and at least one of my xwings has no guns anymore), but the last thing I need is two more tie fighters. I already have like 9 of the things that don’t have dials for HotAC (not counting my normal tie fighters that DO have dials)

FFG would not be competing with itself. The No-Ship option would be a first print production only because it will fill in a gap that fans really want.

FFG has done this with other games. For example, remember when FFG took over Talisman 4th? Not only did they release the full game, but they also released an upgrade kit for those that owned the Black Industries version of the game! This No-Ship option core set for X-Wing 2.0 would be even better because the upgrade kit would not be for a competitor's game.

I'm certain that the fans would be very grateful if they had an option to purchase the 2.0 core set with no miniatures because the majority of the players with sizable collections are not thrilled at the prospect of adding two more tie fighters and one more x-wing when they already have between six to twelve tie fighters and three to six x-wings. Having the option to get the core set that still has everything a player need but without the ship miniatures would be most welcomed.

For the first print run only, it would be a superb idea for FFG to offer a No-Ship core set. I just hope they make enough of these because we can already predict that the Core Upgrade Kit - Miniatures Not Included will sell out fast!

Honestly, I think something like this would bring back a lot of the players who are looking at the cost of updating their collection and giving up on X-wing.  Yeah it might not be a big difference in price but it would be something and it would eliminate the annoyance have having even more tie fighter and x-wing models that will just gather dust.  It would certainly generate some good will.

As the "proud" owner of 3 x-wing core sets, and 2 TFA x-wing core sets, I REALLY just want the conversion kits.. This may have been stated elsewhere, but what is essential in the 2edtion core-set that you cannot live without? 

Damage deck?

Templates (I could live without those, going to get acrylics with that center line anyway)

Core-set only pilots? (cards+cardboard)

Core-set only droids? and/or other upgrades? 

1 hour ago, Sciencius said:

As the "proud" owner of 3 x-wing core sets, and 2 TFA x-wing core sets, I REALLY just want the conversion kits.. This may have been stated elsewhere, but what is essential in the 2edtion core-set that you cannot live without? 

Damage deck?

Templates (I could live without those, going to get acrylics with that center line anyway)

Core-set only pilots? (cards+cardboard)

Core-set only droids? and/or other upgrades? 

All of those. FFG made sure players who don't even remember when they started the game will but their third starter set.

22 hours ago, TylerTT said:

The 100 core set in rune Wars is such an incredible value. 

To make a comparable product from the other faction starters would be about 145

Runewars is a great 

7 hours ago, Sciencius said:

This may have been stated elsewhere, but what is essential in the 2edtion core-set that you cannot live without? 

• The new 2.0 damage deck
  • The new 2.0 maneuver dials
  • The new 2.0 rule book
  • The new looking game tokens
  • The game templates
  • The new asteroids and other game markers
  • Core-set only pilots cards
  • Core-set only upgrade cards

...and a few other things.

What long time owners of X-Wing do not need are more TIE Fighter and X-Wing miniatures. They could very much use the new 2.0 maneuver dials, but not more miniatures.

Structuring the conversion kits to require a core was a blunder and gave credence to the "money grab" reaction to 2.0.

Finding a way for returning players to get the cardboard we need from the core would go a long way towards building goodwill, and allow returning players to focus on all the GOOD stuff coming out of 2.0.

22 minutes ago, RayGuns said:
  • The new 2.0 damage deck
  • The new 2.0 maneuver dials
  • The new 2.0 rule book
  • The new looking game tokens
  • The game templates
  • The new asteroids and other game markers
  • Core-set only pilots cards
  • Core-set only upgrade cards

...and a few other things.

What long time owners of X-Wing do not need are more TIE Fighter and X-Wing miniatures. They could very much use the new 2.0 maneuver dials, but not more miniatures.

Rule book will be available online and in the app, for free.
It'd be really strange if they suddenly didn't allow to use the old tokens, especially with all of the acrylics players accumulated over the years. And there are some tokens in the conversion kits.
There are no new asteroids. Core set contains 3 old rocks and 3 old debris.

So you are paying for:
- three ships you don't need
- pilots and upgrades that should be in the conversion kits like the rest of wave 1
- damage deck
- 1 straight template for barrel rolls and turn templates for talon rolls.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

Rule book will be available online and in the app, for free.
It'd be really strange if they suddenly didn't allow to use the old tokens, especially with all of the acrylics players accumulated over the years. And there are some tokens in the conversion kits.
There are no new asteroids. Core set contains 3 old rocks and 3 old debris.

So you are paying for:
- three ships you don't need
- pilots and upgrades that should be in the conversion kits like the rest of wave 1
- damage deck
- 1 straight template for barrel rolls and turn templates for talon rolls.

What would you suggest FFG should do?

3 minutes ago, RayGuns said:

What would you suggest FFG should do?

Include pilots and upgrades from core in the conversion kits and release a cheaper "core set lite" for veteran players with just the damage deck and manuever templates.

As a primarily rebel player I don’t mind buying an extra core set.

i love the new x-wing and that this one is painted like luke’s

what I did recently is sell off my extra core set for cheap.

made a new player, trimmed my collection, and got a little bit of cash.

6 hours ago, eMeM said:

Include pilots and upgrades from core in the conversion kits and release a cheaper "core set lite" for veteran players with just the damage deck and manuever templates.

That would add to the cost of the Conversion Kits, and that would be bad for those that need to buy more than one of the same Conversion Kit.

I do agree that there should be a cheaper "core set lite" for veteran players with just the 2.0 damage deck, core specific pilot/upgrade cards, maneuver dial/templates. One of the easier ways would be to just package the same core set but without the miniatures. Of course FFG would need to print up some small fliers to cover up the display window that would normally show the ship miniatures. Anything else would require a new package.

Edited by RayGuns