Sign in to follow this  
RayGuns

How about a No-Ship Core Set option? * Basic 2.0 Upgrade Kit *

Several people have mentioned in the threads the idea of offering a No-Ship (no models) Core Set. What a brilliant idea! The countless numbers of people who had bought the 1.0 core sets certainly do not need the three models that come with the new 2.0 core set, so why not offer a No-Ship 2.0 Core Set for these people? Brilliant!

FFG could release a No-Ship Core Set Upgrade Kit that does not include the ship models and the standard Core Set that will include the ship models.

Now only if we can use our 1.0 "Proof of Purchase" tokens. Sending them to FFG to get the exact 2.0 upgrades we need for example. ?

So, what would be in there?  Templates, a damage deck, rules and dice?

What they should do is offer the templates and damage deck as two separate blisters.  Rules can be had online for those who need them and they already sell dice separately.

Edited by papy72

11 hours ago, Willange said:

How many ways can FFG find to sell me 2 Tie Fighters and an X-Wing?  Apparently, at least one more.

That is the beauty about this No-Ship Core Set option. You already have lots of TIE Fighters and X-Wings, so all you need is the core set (2.0) without the model ships included.

I just hope if they do actually use this wonderful idea that they would print more of the No-Ship Core Sets than the Core Sets that will have the ships, because I can already predict that the No-Ship Core Sets will sell out fast!

14 hours ago, RayGuns said:

Several people have mentioned in the threads the idea of offering a No-Ship (no models) Core Set. What a brilliant idea! The countless numbers of people who had bought the 1.0 core sets certainly do not need the three models that come with the new 2.0 core set, so why not offer a No-Ship 2.0 Core Set for these people? Brilliant!

FFG could release a No-Ship Core Set Upgrade Kit that does not include the ship models and the standard Core Set that will include the ship models.

Now only if we can use our 1.0 "Proof of Purchase" tokens. Sending them to FFG to get the exact 2.0 upgrades we need for example. ?

Have you given thought to the logistics involved in this? To offer an additional SKU with basically the same components minus the miniatures? At what price point are you going to sell this? In what ratio do you think distributors buy this off of you as compared to the normal core set? How will people feel if they impulse buy a set like this and find that they can’t play it out of the box? Are retailers going to allot shelf space to this stuff? Are you expecting FFG to devote time and resources to sort through ‘countless’ proofs of purchase? What about shipping costs and dispatch wait times? Are you prepared to pay those? Do you know what miniatures games rule books generally go for? Don’t you think that a sizable amount of people will skip the core set and just go for a conversion preorder with a new damage deck and a set of 3rd party acrylics? I’m as much game for upgrading with as little bloat as possible but I just don’t think it’s viable from a business standpoint.

Answer me those questions and I’ll have a couple more for you ;)

Edited by FalseError

27 minutes ago, FalseError said:

Have you given thought to the logistics involved in this? To offer an additional SKU with basically the same components minus the miniatures? At what price point are you going to sell this? In what ratio do you think distributors buy this off of you as compared to the normal core set? How will people feel if they impulse buy a set like this and find that they can’t play it out of the box? Are retailers going to allot shelf space to this stuff? Are you expecting FFG to devote time and resources to sort through ‘countless’ proofs of purchase? What about shipping costs and dispatch wait times? Are you prepared to pay those? Do you know what miniatures games rule books generally go for? Don’t you think that a sizable amount of people will skip the core set and just go for a conversion preorder with a new damage deck and a set of 3rd party acrylics? I’m as much game for upgrading with as little bloat as possible but I just don’t think it’s viable from a business standpoint.

Answer mecthose questions and I’ll have a couple more for you ;)

They already did this for Runewars TMG. That game got 4 factions and they knew that players of the factions not represented in the core don't want to buy a core. So i see no reason why they can't do it here.

Edited by Reaver027

1 minute ago, Reaver027 said:

They already did this for Runewars TMG. That game got 4 factions and they knew that players of the factions not represented in the core don't want to buy a core. So i see no reason why they can't do it here.

So maybe there is a reason they’re not doing this for X-Wing, as they are surely aware of this possibility? Also, dropping 100$ for a core set with stuff you’re not going to use is much harder to stomach than 40$, so they probably included that option to expand the player base of an unproven miniatures game. 

33 minutes ago, FalseError said:

Answer mecthose questions and I’ll have a couple more for you ;)

They will most likely do it for wave 2 and beyond, as they said there will be an option to buy cards and cardboard without the ships if you don't want more models.

So an essentials pack.

would you still include the Luke and pork cards and tokens? 

I don’t think putting dice in there makes much sense. They already sell dice on their own. 

Personally i sold my last compleat 1.0 standard core set given I need a 2.0 core.

14 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

As a SCUM player buying another core set is starting to really bug me.

Then don’t? Talk to your local retailer about getting a preorder damage deck and do some research regarding 3rd party acrylics? Come September you’ll be set to go?

1 hour ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

To reduce the amount of (inherently) redundant cardboard they are selling you. I definitly don't need to have 3 sets of templates.

To be honest the conversion kits have a great deal of redundancy they're selling for most people regardless. Privateer Press does this with their Battlegroup boxes and it works fine, sure people that collect every faction will find a lot of duplication, but these people are in a minority. 

2 hours ago, FalseError said:

Then people would probably complain about the fact that they are paying extra for unneeded extra tokens, damage decks and templates. 

Judging by the follow up response I'd say you were right.

10 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

So an essentials pack.

would you still include the Luke and pork cards and tokens? 

I don’t think putting dice in there makes much sense. They already sell dice on their own. 

Personally i sold my last compleat 1.0 standard core set given I need a 2.0 core.

I would not include anything faction specific. These essential packs should be made with Scum, FO and Resistance in mind.

They should include: Rules, Maneuver Templates, Dice, Tokens, Obstacles and neutral Upgrade Cards.

1 hour ago, Reaver027 said:

They already did this for Runewars TMG. That game got 4 factions and they knew that players of the factions not represented in the core don't want to buy a core. So i see no reason why they can't do it here

This is actual data - so give me more details.  What is the price comparison between a Runewars core with miniatures and the set you buy for the other factions?

I have this feeling that the economies of scale for the core set are such that taking out the minis is going to drop the price insignificantly.  To be honest, the new core box is the least of my concerns for 2.0.  But if they were able to provide some more flexibility to help people transition in a way that meets their needs best that would be greatly appreciated.  If my brother and I could go in on a few conversion kits for the three factions we currently play and avoid the core set it would be an attractive option for sure.

8 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

This is actual data - so give me more details.  What is the price comparison between a Runewars core with miniatures and the set you buy for the other factions?

I have this feeling that the economies of scale for the core set are such that taking out the minis is going to drop the price insignificantly.  To be honest, the new core box is the least of my concerns for 2.0.  But if they were able to provide some more flexibility to help people transition in a way that meets their needs best that would be greatly appreciated.  If my brother and I could go in on a few conversion kits for the three factions we currently play and avoid the core set it would be an attractive option for sure.

Well Runewars Core is 100 and the Essential Pack is 25. There seem to be some rather large cardboard pieces in the Essentail Pack so it could be cheaper for X-Wing.

If we could get an Essential Pack at around 15 - 20 for X-Wing that would be much better. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/10/runewars-miniatures-game-essentials-pack/

Edited by Reaver027

2 minutes ago, Reaver027 said:

Well Runewars Core is 100 and the Essential Pack is 25. There seem to be some rather large cardboard pieces in the Essentail Pack so it could be cheaper for X-Wing.

If we could get an Essential Pack at around 15 - 20 for X-Wing that would be much better. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/10/runewars-miniatures-game-essentials-pack/

Thanks so much for this.  I think a $20 essentials pack would be a wonderful thing for X-Wing 2.0.  I don’t  play Runewars so I’m assuming the $100 core has a lot of minis, but it would help to know that the essentials kit is comparable to what you would need for X-wing 2.0.