Cade Bulkin

To all the people saying veteran players are being treated unfairly with 2.0

We get 14 waves of stuff immediately.  The new players have to wait for it to come in.

I think that's a huge deal.  If they wanted to do comparability, they could have sold mini-conversion kits each wave to keep the new players and veterans on the same level.  That could have made them more money in the long run (14 wave kits at $15-20) and would have been easier to develop since they would only be focusing on converting one wave at a time instead of trying to get them all at once.  

Instead they took the time to convert all 14 waves before telling us anything so that we can play with all of our ships.

I don't understand how veteran players don't see what a big deal that is.

Also, before anyone says anything, I know Resistance/FO is not included in this.  I get the feeling something special is planned for Wave 2.  Breaking apart the factions is going to be a big deal and those are currently very small factions.  Either the conversion kits will come with brand new Reistance/FO ships (maybe something from the new TV series...) or there will be some fun twist to make these small ships feel more viable as a faction or something.  At the very least, I am sure we can expect those conversion kits to be much cheaper since they are so much smaller.

So...uh...yeah.  Let's have fun and get excited for an improved pew pew experience.

Edited by Cade Bulkin
Fixed Title

I think you pewpewd your grammar. Your subject seems to indicate that you think vet players are being treated unfairly? I think you have an extra negative modifier rolling around there. Maybe edit it to be "not being treated fairly" or "being treated unfairly", but they look to be a double negative mashup, where "not being treated unfairly = treated fairly".

/boggle off

2 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

I think you pewpewd your grammar. Your subject seems to indicate that you think vet players are being treated unfairly? I think you have an extra negative modifier rolling around there. Maybe edit it to be "not being treated fairly" or "being treated unfairly", but they look to be a double negative mashup, where "not being treated unfairly = treated fairly".

/boggle off

I originally wrote "not being treated fairly" then decided to change it to "being treated unfailty" in an attempt to shorten the title a little and...uh, I somehow forgot to erase any of it and just added the "un"

I type like I'm playing an x-wing game.  I'm bad at x-wing.

I've fixed it.

24 minutes ago, Cade Bulkin said:

We get 14 waves of stuff immediately.  The new players have to wait for it to come in.

Based on the numbers we're hearing about the number of pilots in the conversion pack coming through I think we get half of it immediately.

The new blisters have twice as many named pilots as the 1.0 blisters did. However, if the circa 100 pilot cards per conversion kit number is correct, then the rest of the ships have the same quantities as 1.0. Two named A-wings, not four. No new TIE phantoms yet. We'll likely have to wait for new blisters too if we want named pilots three and four for each ship.

7 minutes ago, Firespray-32 said:

Based on the numbers we're hearing about the number of pilots in the conversion pack coming through I think we get half of it immediately.

The new blisters have twice as many named pilots as the 1.0 blisters did. However, if the circa 100 pilot cards per conversion kit number is correct, then the rest of the ships have the same quantities as 1.0. Two named A-wings, not four. No new TIE phantoms yet. We'll likely have to wait for new blisters too if we want named pilots three and four for each ship.

uh...the new wave 1 blisters have twice as many named pilots as the 1.0 blisters (except the fang, which is currently still 3 named for 3 named until we find out where ol terry wandered off to)

swz13_a3_fang-fighter_spread2.png

that and the firespray technically only has 1 more unique than its original release, but no word on firespray generics

anyway, we're operating on the assumption that they'll be re-releasing everything to the same standard as these wave 1 blisters

which would be cool and all, but given that we're already struggling to put faces into the cockpits of the 1.0 kim, I don't think FFG is suddenly going to have 4 named kimoglias step out into the limelight

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think the fact that they have to make things up already shows that they're having trouble making named pilots for everyone

and that's not all, you have to invent 4 different unique abilities that gel with the ship they're on

that's a LOT of design work that we're simply assuming will be standard when it wasn't even standard in 1.0

I would personally not expect any but the most recognizable ships to have more named pilots than currently (and technically, the most recognizable ships have still lost pilots given how many re-releases they've had)

18 minutes ago, Firespray-32 said:

Where have you seen this?  All the info I have seen indicates that the content in the conversion kits will be identical to that in the blisters

14 minutes ago, Cade Bulkin said:

Where have you seen this?  All the info I have seen indicates that the content in the conversion kits will be identical to that in the blisters

he hasn't seen it anywhere

he's extrapolating the amount of pilots you get in the x-wing 2.0 kit to encompass every ship in the game

so he thinks there will be four unique and two generic pilots per ship

when most 1.0 ships are two generics and two uniques (small) or 1 generic and three uniques (large)

not counting the all unique ships like the ARC, ofc

but generally, 1.0 ships have four pilot cards. The 2.0 X-wing has six. We can confirm the TIE fighter has at least six based on the preview + black squadron in videos.

swz07_a1_tie_spread2.pngswz07_howlrunner.png

we also know that the Y has a gold squadron vet (stream) and a gray squaddie (team cov video) + Norra + dutch + horton. not seeing a fourth unique

swz13_a3_y-wing_spread2.png

we also don't actually know if the TIE advance has any generics at all, but we can confirm four unique

swz07_a1_tie-advance_spread2.png

ditto four named sprays, but no sign of generics

swz13_a3_slave-1_spread2.png

point is, methinks we're assuming WAY too much

They've said on the stream that wave 2 and beyond blisters will contain new cards. I don't remember if it was pilots specifically or just cards in general. Either way if you want full mileage for your plastic you will have to buy something, most likely mini conversion kits. 

@Cade Bulkin well said! We are lucky to not have to wait and or rebuy everything. Too many times in gaming I have had to do that. Yes we will be buying some me cards counters and bases twice but really not everything. We all have a choice of what or how much to buy. 

There is so much handwringing and naysaying of what is going on it is just about too much. 

Speculation should be on the pros of the new system be positive. I would worry about the negative aspects when I know them not theoretically trying to figure out how I’m getting “screwed” by ffg. For the record I don’t think they are doing that. 

As for everyone that says the margins are this or that or they are making a huge profit on conversion kits: Zip it already. Unless you can tell me exactly how much it costs per unit to put it on the shelf you have no idea. 

Fly casual 

PS sorry for the rant

7 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

he's extrapolating the amount of pilots you get in the x-wing 2.0 kit to encompass every ship in the game

so four uniques and two generics per ship

when most 1.0 ships are two generics and two uniques (small) or 1 generic and three uniques (large)

but generally, 1.0 ships have four pilot cards. The 2.0 X-wing has six (we can also confirm the TIE fighter has six based on the preview + black squadron in videos)

methinks we're assuming WAY too much

Yeah, I think this is making way too many assumptions.  I honestly still don't see where the 4 unique and 2 generics assumption is coming from.

I'd expect the ties to have more pilots than the other imperial things, and I also assume there will be some tie/xwing cards in the core that are not in the kits since you need a core anyways.

Each faction has a different number of ships, so let's just say 15 different ships per faction.  So, assuming 100 cards that is 6 and 2/3 cards per faction. Let's just call it 6 cards on average.  That could be the 4 unique and 2 generics he is referring to, though I don't know why there would be more unique cards than generics.

I'm just not getting the point he is trying to make.

3 minutes ago, eMeM said:

They've said on the stream that wave 2 and beyond blisters will contain new cards. I don't remember if it was pilots specifically or just cards in general. Either way if you want full mileage for your plastic you will have to buy something, most likely mini conversion kits. 

Yeah, I saw that on Reddit just a few mins ago, actually.  If that's the case, then...cool. 

I mean, my point still stands that we are getting a lot of content right off the bat that new players are not getting.  And when new ships come out, we will still have new things to be excited for like the new players, but instead of spending $20+ on a ship, we will be spending $5-10 on a pack of cards to give us all these fun new toys.

Honestly, if that is the case, then they may be pumping the brakes on producing completely new ships for a while.  I figured re-releases would be along side brand new ships, but maybe they will focus on just the old ships for a few waves.

Honestly, I could go for that.  By the time I get used to seeing one ship, something new is out.  It will take us a while for all this new stuff to get stale, especially with card packs.  This deal just keeps getting better...

The initial interview from ffg by team covenant they said that the release schedule will be full with conversions on fold ships with some new sculpts and content along with completely new content (ships) as well. So I think while some ships we will have to wait for some will be out sooner than we think. 

Also is there are new cards or pilots is a release a decision can be made if that’s what you want. I don’t know if they’ll be doing that. Again all speculation. 

Edited by MRCWING
Spelling error

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

so he thinks there will be four unique and two generic pilots per ship

I think you've misunderstood me.

In terms of conversion pack content I expect the ships not included in the Wave 1 blisters to have roughly the same amount of stuff they had in the X-Wing 1.0 blisters, maybe less.

When they rerelease those ships as blisters they'll get another two, following the standard of the new, more expensive expansions. FFG's always been very consistent with card counts for expansions in the past. So two new pilots and the two pilots from the conversion pack in each.

At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Edited by Firespray-32