Simon Retold

Genesys Realms is LIVE! (Blog & Compendium)

A couple days ago, I made my introduction post at Genesys Realms. Today, I published my first useful article, including a download!

I was a pretty big advocate of the Dresden Files RPG when the books Your Story and Our World dropped back in 2010. So much about the game just made so much sense, from how the magic system played out to how characters were designed with a backstory that integrated the party. In practice, these subsystems didn’t always work as I envisioned they might, but that was either due to player apathy or maybe just me, as the GM, wanting more out of my game than others at my table. In the long run, he Fate system itself turned out not to be my group’s preferred system, and we moved on to other things.

I managed to port the DFRPG Character Development Sheet to the Star Wars RPG some time ago, but never got around to putting together my favorite campaign prep tool. Evil Hat Games included a set of “city sheets” with Dresden Files, made up of a high-level sheet that detailed a sort of macroscopic view of the city, along with location sheets for fleshing out specific locales, and a faces page for putting some background to the NPCs your players are liable to meet.

This idea seemed genius to me, and so I have stolen it, taken it without regard to consequence, and reshaped it for use with Genesys.

I’m just a bad boy that way.

“But,” you might ask. “How? How do I use this new magic to organize my campaigns?” To that I say, read the article and download the packet!

The Genesys Realms Region Info Packet and how to use it.

EDIT: Oh, and the Genesys Realms Wiki is live, too, even if there isn't much on it yet. I've moved all the Aethermere information there, and it will be the repository for all my Genesys stuff in the future, including my current project, Scryr. (I'll get back to Aethermere eventually, I promise!)

Edited by Simon Retold

3 hours ago, saethone said:

This feels alot like the structure of dungeon world to me and i love it :)

Nice. I might have to try Dungeon World out sometime. 

19 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

These are awesome. What made you use the 5th Edition aesthetic?

Thanks! I had it handy and had already made a character sheet, so the graphics were already broken down in Photoshop. I’m working on a custom look for all GR stuff in the future, and will redo these with that appearance once it’s done. 

2 hours ago, finarvyn said:

Wait .... are you saying that you have done a Dresden Files conversion into Genesys (or Star Wars)? Is this a download somewhere?

No, they're the city building sheets from Dresden Files, adapted to Genesys. That's all.

2 hours ago, finarvyn said:

Wait .... are you saying that you have done a Dresden Files conversion into Genesys (or Star Wars)? Is this a download somewhere?

What @CitizenKeen said. While I love me some Dresden Files, I will probably never do a conversion of an existing licensed RPG property or adapt an existing fiction series to Genesys, if only because I much prefer to build settings from the ground up. That doesn't mean I won't consider creating my own urban fantasy setting - which won't be too hard to create once I have the fantasy setting of Scryr fleshed out a bit more - but it does mean it won't just be Dresden Files with the serial numbers filed off.