Sign in to follow this  
beowolf777

Is there a miniature quality drop coming with 2.0?

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

it isnt to scale. unless the A-wing pilots are all Zentraedi, then the many shots we see of the cockpit alone demonstrate that FFG got it wrong.  an A-wing cockpit simply is not 15+ feet long. thats the cool thing about scale, you can just measure the model and multiply by scale to get measurements, and

seperately, FFG fudged nearly 50% of the ships scale in 1.0, not just the A-wing.   For example X-wings, B-wings, fang fighters, Khiraxz, etc. are all in 1/270, while A-wings, Scycks, Firesprays, Tie fighters, etc. are closer to 1/230. then a ship like the Upsilon is more like 1/400 

I was pretty sure you were completely wrong, so I actually did get up and measured the models.

A-Wing:

Miniature length: 36mm

x270: 9.72m

Canon length: 9.6m (source: databank(!))

approx. error: 1%

Scyk: could not find canon size

Firespray:

Miniature width: 82mm

x270: 22.14m

Canon width: 21.3m (source: wookiepedia-legends)

approx. error: 3%

TIE Fighter:

Miniature length: 32mm

x270: 8.64m

Canon length: 8.99m (source: databank)

approx. error: 4%

Upsilon Shuttle:

Miniature height: 123mm

x270:33.21m

Canon size:37.2m

approx. error: 12%, I'm guessing due to the miniature's lack of landing gear (for reference, at your implied 1:400 the error would be 32%)

Considering the fact you dropped specific numbers, at this point I find it really difficult to belive you weren't just making all this up. Not cool.

Edited by Elavion

Going off of just the Rebel and Resistance stuff, since that's what I own, I'd say quality overall is improved but there are some small things that are annoying. 

The Y-wing is really good apart from it's turret. not sure why they went with that color, but it really makes it look like it shouldn't be there. everything else on it looks great. That blindingly white turret just looks completely wrong though. The children's toy comparisons are not unfair, due to that one stupid color choice. Even with that problem though, it still looks better to me than my 1st ed Y's. details are more clear and the ship in general isn't crooked like the old ones tended to be. 

The X-wings are all great apart from the issues with wings on the cavern angels being a little gunked up. it is fixable though. One T-65 that I got from the 2nd ed standalone pack does have a problem that I haven't seen on any other models. one of it's guns was off center, it had this extra bit of plastic that elevated the back end of the cannon so that it pointed a good 30-40 degrees downward. looked really bad, but I haven't seen any others with this error, and that was the only error I found with any of the X-wings I have, T-65 or T-70. the core set's paint job is great, giving us Red 5 in all it's glory, and the expac looks good too, I just wish I didn't need to reattach anything to make mine look right. the T-70's look almost identical to their 1st ed counterpart's, they just can move their wings now. 

Resistance A-wings are just straight up pretty. I've got three and all look good.

I feel like the first run of 2nd ed stuff got rushed a bit, but for the most part, issues are minor and very correctable. The Y-wing can be fixed by repainting it's turret, and the X-wing defect I got was fixed with an xacto knife and some glue. Wave 2 doesn't seem to have the same issues, but take that with a grain of salt I suppose. my collection of 2nd ed ships is fairly small right now. 

Edited by Hippie Moosen

24 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

The X-wings are all great apart from the issues with wings on the cavern angels being a little gunked up. it is fixable though. One T-65 that I got from the 2nd ed standalone pack does have a problem that I haven't seen on any other models. one of it's guns was off center, it had this extra bit of plastic that elevated the back end of the cannon so that it pointed a good 30-40 degrees downward. looked really bad, but I haven't seen any others with this error, and that was the only error I found with any of the X-wings I have, T-65 or T-70.

My Cavern Angels X-wing also suffered from the usual gunked s-foils, and a laser cannon distinctively pointing downward at a near 45 degree angle.  Fortunately I was able to fix both issues with just a hobby knife and superglue despite having zero experience disassembling and repairing miniatures.

The only other 2nd edition minis I have are the core set and there's something about the wash on the new ships that feels a bit off if I look at them really closely.  I can't even say that they look "bad" exactly, but they don't quite match the look of the 1st edition ships, even the Gozanti TIEs that have the exact same paint scheme as the new ones.

7 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

pics of 20 perfect ones or its not true. not my job to document miniature quality for you dude.

just look through the minis at your flgs

No you made the original claim so the burden of proof is on you - and since you did not post pics in response, we now see your claim was false.

Edited by RedHotDice

13 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

there are 20 plus mining ties ive seen in store that disagree, plus the many unboxing videos which show vlose ups.  ive been actively hunting for a non ****** up one for a week

the stencils on the wings dont line up, so the black is on the struts a bit and yellow overlaps onto wing panels, etc.

I've also seen at least two mining Ties with way off pegs. One facing 45 degrees to the side and another literally facing backwards. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, mdl0114 said:

That Y-Wing looks fantastic so Right now I would say no.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, JasonCole said:

Have you seen the new Y-Wing? Go look at it, then come back here and delete your original post. KTHX.

IMHO, the guns on the new Y-Wing are super silly, but every other detail on the model is way nicer.  Those guns are comically large, though.

3 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

I am afraid that consulting a neurologist, or a psychiatrist, about your problems would breach their confidentiality 😉

The guy who made a fool of himself with his "trade war" theories strikes again...

This is the Internet! What are you doing being balanced and reasonable? ( ;) )

You are correct my friend. Over and out.

20 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

The guy who made a fool of himself with his "trade war" theories strikes again...

1: If you're going to throw that crap, make sure your aiming at the right Twi'lek *******. Red was not part of that.

2: I mentioned it as a possible factor, not a definite cause, go reread that thread again.

Edited by Hiemfire

6 hours ago, Elavion said:

Considering you dropped specific numbers, at this point I find it really difficult to belive you weren't just making all this up. Not cool.

Vontoothskie is known for making stuff up as he goes along, especially when it comes to FFG's model scale.

He argued the Raider was 1/270 scale, despite FFG being quoted as expressly saying it was not.

I bought a 2.0 Y-wing even though I have too many original Y-wings, simply because I like the sculpt that much more.

My complaint is that the turret seems too raised from the chassis; which is fine, I repaint a lot of my figs and plan on chopping down its height anyway.

I feel it's plainly obvious that both sculpts and paintjobs have improved over the years.

15 hours ago, Elavion said:

A-Wing:

Miniature length: 36mm

x270: 9.72m

Canon length: 9.6m (source: databank(!))

approx. error: 1%

Yup. You can argue that the person who gave FFG that 9.6m length should have disregarded "canon" in favour of "props" (though even those arguments can be questioned, as here) :

On 11/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, GuacCousteau said:

The smaller size everyone apparently believes to be right for the A-Wing is based off scaling comparisons that are physically impossible; namely, the pilot's head in the filming model.

The thing is, the pilot was a large action figure that had to have its legs cut off to fit in to the A-Wing at that scale. They would have been dangling out the bottom like the Flintstones' car otherwise. If you scale the cockpit based on the human size model built for shooting the cockpit interiors, you come to something much closer to the scale FFG used for the A-Wing. 

All other comparisons people use to justify the smaller scale are of dubious reliability. 

but you can't argue that the miniature itself isn't very close to the "canon figure".

Interestingly, the 2.0 A-wing is much more "off"

Miniature length: 35mm

x 270 = 9.45m

Canon length: 7.68m (The Last Jedi Incredible Cross Sections)

Approx error 23%.

Edited by Ironlord

15 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Wrong Twi'lek..hehe, it would appear you are in need of that ophthalmologist appointment afterall ;D

I also hope your psyciatrist is helping you deal with your anger issues, and at your next appointment, do me a favour and check it does not infact read "Dr S Pal Patine" on the door, cause then it might not be the kind of anger management therapy your are looking for.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

the T-70's look almost identical to their 1st ed counterpart's, they just can move their wings now. 

It might look identical at a glance but the 2.0 model has smaller 'turbines' added details onto the wings, a thinner fuselage, and a few other changes that I feel just really help the miniature just pop. So far I've been pretty happy with the detail on the 2.0 miniatures I just wished they'd make their mind up on whether they were doing engine glow on ships or not. Wave 1 lacked any kind of engine glow aside from the Falcon, Wave 2 had engine glow on the T-70, and Mining Guild Tie but all the other ships lacked it. 

The quality was not that great to begin with. brittle plastic that doesnt hold up well, flat planes with the detail in the paint itself, quality fitting checks for the base pegs not done often enough when the parts come out of the mold (I've work in a plastics factory for the last five years). 

They serve the purpose and are priced lower than the higher quality models made by other companies yet still serve the purpose for the game. I dont think it is somuch a drop in quality but the quality not being improved enough to keep up with the price hike.

I'll still buy what I need to of course.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:26 PM, FTS Gecko said:

Vontoothskie is known for making stuff up as he goes along, especially when it comes to FFG's model scale.

He argued the Raider was 1/270 scale, despite FFG being quoted as expressly saying it was not.

Remember the time he suggested a Nebulon-B could fit 20 X-Wings, somehow?