Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
beowolf777

Is there a miniature quality drop coming with 2.0?

Recommended Posts

On 5/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, VanderLegion said:

They said on stream the Firespray in 2.0 is the same model/mold as 1.0, but a new paintjob

My new firespray sits at a different angle. The paint seems about the same but thicker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own both Firesprays and I prefer the new one. The paint is sharper and has a bit more green. The mold is exactly the same quality.

My only 2.0 (small) complaint is the X-wing x-foils. The Saw’s were too tight. The starter (of which I bought two) were too loose. But the expansion x-wing was just right. 

I just opened a T-70 x-wing and the wings are nearly perfect, so I think they’re refining this.  The model is slightly different to scale things correctly for the wings.

Otherwise, I had the sticking Fang wings, but like the new paint job and moving wings on that in general. I see no loss in quality of any molds and the paint jobs are generally better or equivalent to 1.0. Nothing to worry about. Go buy and play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

<snip>

My only 2.0 (small) complaint is the X-wing x-foils. The Saw’s were too tight. The starter (of which I bought two) were too loose. But the expansion x-wing was just right. 

I just opened a T-70 x-wing and the wings are nearly perfect, so I think they’re refining this.  The model is slightly different to scale things correctly for the wings.

<snip>

I followed a Youtube tutorial on cleaning the gunk out of Saw's X-wing, and it worked really well, BUT I did find it was then as floppy as the new T-65 foils. I adhered a tiny amount of clear tape to the mating peg inside the foils and it's the right amount of friction to keep them locked in either position.

Good to know it's better on the T-70's, but given I've already an obscene number of them, can't say I'll invest in the new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, Wiredin said:

my god yes, I want flapping B-Wing wings! If they put in the gyrating cockpit I'd be buying them up like water during a shortage. 

As an Avid B-wing fan from the west end games RPG, that would be sweet!

On 5/3/2018 at 12:22 PM, PhantomFO said:

I want the B-Wing to somehow have a rotating peg connector on its back, so that it can physically rotate around that point on the table. That's my dream.

Same for this..

 

As for quality, from what i've seen of others show me, the Y-wings definitely got an upgrade.  Not seeing much though for other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

There is a drop in ywing turret quality, it looks like they stole the mold from playmobil. The rest is amazing 

At first I wholeheartedly agreed with you, but after playing many games I came to the conclusion that it feels right on the table but fails at up close inspection. Either way it’s a much improved upgrade from the original lack of turret and a light wash greatly improves its appearance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah there is a distinct quality drop. new firesprsys are truly terrible. every one ive seen at my local stores has bleed and bubbles in the windshield black color, and the paints look greasy like the models werent degreased. same for fang fighters and mining ties, and the saws renegades are garbage.   also the moving models are frequently imobile or gummed up.  Ill also disagree entirely on the goofy y-wing. new proportions look like a duplo vehicle

that said the blue ties and tie advanced look great, and the RZA2 a-wing is actually in scale, unlike the 1.0 A-wing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

The mining guild tie might be the best paintjob x-wing has ever had. If anything their painting method has gotten better, the new scum z-95 coming soon also looks nice.

there are 20 plus mining ties ive seen in store that disagree, plus the many unboxing videos which show vlose ups.  ive been actively hunting for a non ****** up one for a week

the stencils on the wings dont line up, so the black is on the struts a bit and yellow overlaps onto wing panels, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly dislike the paintjob on my RZ-2. The blue looks somewhat dry-brushed on, since many of the crevices are white on the inside (looks pretty bad). I don't know how common that is, but even if the average quality didn't go down, the consistency definitely did.

 

33 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

that said the blue ties and tie advanced look great, and the RZA2 a-wing is actually in scale, unlike the 1.0 A-wing

The 1.0 A-Wing is to scale, it's not FFG's fault Lucasfilms can't figure out their own ship sizes.

Edited by Elavion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elavion said:

The 1.0 A-Wing is to scale, it's not FFG's fault Lucasfilms can't figure out their own ship sizes.

This.
The FFG A-wing matches the scale of A-wings in Star Wars: Rebels, that is the latest canon depiction of the A-wing.
The A-wings seen in ROTJ are supposed to be the same size, but the pilot model they placed inside was too big, making the entire ship look smaller than they are supposed to be.

Edited by Azrapse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Did a trip to Barnes & Noble and saw 2ed product on the shelf. There is definitely a drop in quality on the 2ed ships. They also had 1ed ships on the shelf so I could compare side-by-side. The 2ed Firespray is probably the worst offender. It's paint-job seems done by an amateurish painter at best, same with the Fang. Even the 2ed TIE Fighter looked noticeably less well painted. The 2ed Y-Wing looks odd in a toyish way.

I was on the fence for a long time. Too much BS going on with 2ed, I have now decided remain 1ed indefinitely. I will spend my table-top $$ on other games.

First you need to consult an ophthalmologist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

yeah there is a distinct quality drop. new firesprsys are truly terrible. every one ive seen at my local stores has bleed and bubbles in the windshield black color, and the paints look greasy like the models werent degreased. same for fang fighters and mining ties, and the saws renegades are garbage.   also the moving models are frequently imobile or gummed up.  Ill also disagree entirely on the goofy y-wing. new proportions look like a duplo vehicle

that said the blue ties and tie advanced look great, and the RZA2 a-wing is actually in scale, unlike the 1.0 A-wing

Pics of all those firesprays with poor paint jobs or it is not so.

Edited by RedHotDice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

there are 20 plus mining ties ive seen in store that disagree, plus the many unboxing videos which show vlose ups.  ive been actively hunting for a non ****** up one for a week

the stencils on the wings dont line up, so the black is on the struts a bit and yellow overlaps onto wing panels, etc.

Pics of those 20+ mining-guild TIEs with bad paintjobs? Or it is not true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from needing to clean Saw's X-wing's S-foils (after which they work perfectly), and a sticky Fang Fighter (easily corrected) there have been no issues with 2.0 Models. In fact most of them seem to be of a higher quality standard than most of the stuff in 1.0.

The Y-Wing looks loads better, and it is nice to have an actual turret on them.
The X-wing is higher quality, and opens / closes s-foils. I mean nearly every one of my 1.0 X-wings had blaster cannons that went in four different directions. The new ones are all lined up. It looks nice.
The Fang has a crisper paint job.
The Firespray's angle makes it looks soooooo much better. And the paint is also crisper on it.
The T-70 looks so nice with closed s-foils...
My mining guild tie is perfectly painted, with an immaculately centered logo.
The RZ-2 aside from seeming a touch small, is very well detailed.

So... in my summation, 2.0 has higher quality models than 1.0.

And, I too will buy buckets of B-wings if they have flappy s-foils and rotating cockpits.

Edited by KryatDragon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Did a trip to Barnes & Noble and saw 2ed product on the shelf. There is definitely a drop in quality on the 2ed ships. They also had 1ed ships on the shelf so I could compare side-by-side. The 2ed Firespray is probably the worst offender. It's paint-job seems done by an amateurish painter at best, same with the Fang. Even the 2ed TIE Fighter looked noticeably less well painted. The 2ed Y-Wing looks odd in a toyish way.

I was on the fence for a long time. Too much BS going on with 2ed, I have now decided remain 1ed indefinitely. I will spend my table-top $$ on other games.

So far every single one of my 2.0 ships is significantly better than any 1.0 equivalent I have. Comparing my 2.0 Wave 1 models to 1.0 Wave 1 models, the Y-Wing is ridiculously better (even six years ago I was never too happy with the Y-Wing but now it's just laughable next to the new one), the X-Wings, TIEs and TIE Advanced are all similar but with better definition (plus flappy S-Foils, obviously) and much more neatly and consistently painted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TIE/FO expansion I purchased recently was of very disappointing quality - as well as the panels both being bent such that they form a gentle 'V' instead of being parallel, the black paint is very shiny, making the model look cheap and tacky, the white on the panels is not as bright, and the work on the cockpit is much sloppier, when compared with all of my 1.0 versions.
When you also consider the far blander packaging and the cheaper, flimsier looking dials of 2.0, it does feel as if there has been a cutback on quality completely at odds with the price increases on ships - but then again this is the only 2.0 expansion (as opposed to conversion kit) that I've bought so far. I'm expecting a couple for Christmas so will have to see how they compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elavion said:

I strongly dislike the paintjob on my RZ-2. The blue looks somewhat dry-brushed on, since many of the crevices are white on the inside (looks pretty bad). I don't know how common that is, but even if the average quality didn't go down, the consistency definitely did.

 

The 1.0 A-Wing is to scale, it's not FFG's fault Lucasfilms can't figure out their own ship sizes.

it isnt to scale. unless the A-wing pilots are all Zentraedi, then the many shots we see of the cockpit alone demonstrate that FFG got it wrong.  an A-wing cockpit simply is not 15+ feet long. thats the cool thing about scale, you can just measure the model and multiply by scale to get measurements, and

seperately, FFG fudged nearly 50% of the ships scale in 1.0, not just the A-wing.   For example X-wings, B-wings, fang fighters, Khiraxz, etc. are all in 1/270, while A-wings, Scycks, Firesprays, Tie fighters, etc. are closer to 1/230. then a ship like the Upsilon is more like 1/400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Did a trip to Barnes & Noble and saw 2ed product on the shelf. There is definitely a drop in quality on the 2ed ships. They also had 1ed ships on the shelf so I could compare side-by-side. The 2ed Firespray is probably the worst offender. It's paint-job seems done by an amateurish painter at best, same with the Fang. Even the 2ed TIE Fighter looked noticeably less well painted. The 2ed Y-Wing looks odd in a toyish way.

I was on the fence for a long time. Too much BS going on with 2ed, I have now decided remain 1ed indefinitely. I will spend my table-top $$ on other games.

I agree with your comments regarding those specific ships. I’m also not a fan of the flappy wings, I think they tend to look sloppy most of the time. However, the Resistance A-Wings I think look really great, better than the 1st Edition Rebel ones. I also think the new Mining Guild Tie looks quite nice. So I don’t know that it’s an overall quality drop. It could be it’s just hit and miss based on the ship or maybe it’s specific to the first couple of waves of ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The T-70 my friend has is slightly a skew.

When on a peg, it is crooked. The wings move better than any x-wing so far.

I've switched to tokens for s-foil open/closed as it it easier to do and see at a glance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only conclusion I can draw from this thread is that people have mixed experiences. It could be that manufacturing variability is higher and some batches are better than others. I assume the ships are painted by hand in a systematic way. Perhaps the level of training and/or experience of some painters are better than others and thus consistency has dropped.

I can speak only from the 2ed samples I saw at B&N last week. They looked inferior to the 1ed ships they had on the shelf right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OoALEJOoO said:

The only conclusion I can draw from this thread is that people have mixed experiences. It could be that manufacturing variability is higher and some batches are better than others. I assume the ships are painted by hand in a systematic way. Perhaps the level of training and/or experience of some painters are better than others and thus consistency has dropped.

I can speak only from the 2ed samples I saw at B&N last week. They looked inferior to the 1ed ships they had on the shelf right there.

This is the Internet! What are you doing being balanced and reasonable? ( ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...