Sign in to follow this  
beowolf777

Is there a miniature quality drop coming with 2.0?

I am looking forward to some of the changes that are coming and yet, I have been collecting more than playing and feeling like I just wasn't ready. Just found someone to paint ships in my area and now not sure if some of the paint schemes will be the same characters in 2.0. Will have to buy multiple conversions to outfit my collection, no complaints as I chose to buy what I did. I would make an argument for having the Conversion kits be set on 3 for most small ships and 2 for each large ship. This is especially true for any ships that have multiple prints. The a wing and b wing should have the same count... etc. I have seen so many threads about these things. I will go with whatever comes to pass as I convert my collection by either buying one or two conversion kits and trying to buy the odds and ends that are needed to be able to play a game outside the home. All seems good...

Then I see the quality of the Firespray 2.0. I just love the Firespray and have since the first time I saw it on the big-screen as a child. I am looking forward to getting multiple Firesprays painted (Emon, Krassis, Kath...) and still having gotten enough miniatures for all the ideas I have. However from the looks of the ship that is coming with 2.0, I need to make sure that I get all my Firespray miniatures of 1.0 before they are gone. 

With this I am also concerned if the quality of that paint job is a hint as to what is to come. Is it the paint job or does the ship even look like the mold has less detail? The smaller ships are up in price, which is bound to happen. But is the quality down and the price up? The X wing...sss move, but some say not too well. The Y looks beefier and good detail, but where is the grime of star wars and extra characteristic yellow? The Imperials look good, but almost too good... leaning toward that mattel/micromachine straight out of the mold. Each ship loosing that bit of character that I love about 1.0.

I will have to see them up close to really have a fair assessment and if the quality remains the same, improves or what, but I really do not like the Firespray 2.0. It Looks like it would be something that my child would get in a Happy Meal and not the X wing miniatures that I love.

3 minutes ago, beowolf777 said:

I am looking forward to some of the changes that are coming and yet, I have been collecting more than playing and feeling like I just wasn't ready. Just found someone to paint ships in my area and now not sure if some of the paint schemes will be the same characters in 2.0. Will have to buy multiple conversions to outfit my collection, no complaints as I chose to buy what I did. I would make an argument for having the Conversion kits be set on 3 for most small ships and 2 for each large ship. This is especially true for any ships that have multiple prints. The a wing and b wing should have the same count... etc. I have seen so many threads about these things. I will go with whatever comes to pass as I convert my collection by either buying one or two conversion kits and trying to buy the odds and ends that are needed to be able to play a game outside the home. All seems good...

Then I see the quality of the Firespray 2.0. I just love the Firespray and have since the first time I saw it on the big-screen as a child. I am looking forward to getting multiple Firesprays painted (Emon, Krassis, Kath...) and still having gotten enough miniatures for all the ideas I have. However from the looks of the ship that is coming with 2.0, I need to make sure that I get all my Firespray miniatures of 1.0 before they are gone. 

With this I am also concerned if the quality of that paint job is a hint as to what is to come. Is it the paint job or does the ship even look like the mold has less detail? The smaller ships are up in price, which is bound to happen. But is the quality down and the price up? The X wing...sss move, but some say not too well. The Y looks beefier and good detail, but where is the grime of star wars and extra characteristic yellow? The Imperials look good, but almost too good... leaning toward that mattel/micromachine straight out of the mold. Each ship loosing that bit of character that I love about 1.0.

I will have to see them up close to really have a fair assessment and if the quality remains the same, improves or what, but I really do not like the Firespray 2.0. It Looks like it would be something that my child would get in a Happy Meal and not the X wing miniatures that I love.

A lot of stuff previewed looked CGI.

I would say the new models will be better quality for the first 4 or 5 waves.

Just now, PhantomFO said:

I'm not normally one for buying dupe models, but I may have to buy that Fang Fighter because the spinning wings could be amazing. And if they were able to pull it off for that, then maybe they could do the same for the B-Wing?

my god yes, I want flapping B-Wing wings! If they put in the gyrating cockpit I'd be buying them up like water during a shortage. 

4 minutes ago, beowolf777 said:

They are resculpting ships that they feel don't look as good as they should or to give them features they felt they should have IE S-foils and Pivoting wings. Ships they feel are fine will either just be completely rereleased or given a slightly different paintjob, it looks like Ties and the Advance now come in Imperial Blue instead of Imperial white. The Firespray is the same as we have now but with a slightly lighter shade of green apparently to make the ship look more screen accurate. 

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

my god yes, I want flapping B-Wing wings! If they put in the gyrating cockpit I'd be buying them up like water during a shortage. 

I want the B-Wing to somehow have a rotating peg connector on its back, so that it can physically rotate around that point on the table. That's my dream.

Just now, PhantomFO said:

I want the B-Wing to somehow have a rotating peg connector on its back, so that it can physically rotate around that point on the table. That's my dream.

totally yes.... when do we stop? I think we stop at engine glow?

Regarding the fact that even during 1.0 the quality of the models and the paint  jobs steadily got better, not worse, i would not expect 2.0 to have worse quality models.

Well if you like the 1.0 Y-Wings «nostalgic» trashy wave 1 look, nobody forces you to buy new ones i guess.

but for me they might be the only models that fly straight... into the trashcan

Edited by ForceM

I did notice in the Team Covenant video that the S-Foils on the X-Wing didn't stay open all the way.  He'd spread them out, but they'd close back up just a bit.

Then again, they could be early prototype models and not the actual production ones.

Thank you for those that gave comments of disagreement and even supported your view. You are appreciated. The picture definitely above on the mat definitely looks good, so maybe my concerns can be put to rest. Some of you are right that the mockups are more than likely CGI.

I thought I achieved writing a thread that wasn't blasting the company and saying that I wasn't going to buy this and that. So I don't need to remove my post if I myself find out that I am wrong. Like I said if I see them up close... No one needs to tell me that it is always my choice on what I buy. Yeah I am a big boy and know that. So I will speak to the adults in the room.

Thank you all for responding and I look forward to the chance to see the changes. If these models are better than the last. then I have the problem (addiction called completionist) that I may buy ships that I already enough of, but I can always make these a "different squadron". If it goes the opposite way, then I end up buying stuff like the third movie in a series that is awful, all the actors are different, etc. but I have them all you see!

37 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

I'm not normally one for buying dupe models, but I may have to buy that Fang Fighter because the spinning wings could be amazing. And if they were able to pull it off for that, then maybe they could do the same for the B-Wing?

Same, I butchered 2 Fangs to try and get the magnetized spinny effect....well now I have 2 mangled non-spinny Fangs

Did a trip to Barnes & Noble and saw 2ed product on the shelf. There is definitely a drop in quality on the 2ed ships. They also had 1ed ships on the shelf so I could compare side-by-side. The 2ed Firespray is probably the worst offender. It's paint-job seems done by an amateurish painter at best, same with the Fang. Even the 2ed TIE Fighter looked noticeably less well painted. The 2ed Y-Wing looks odd in a toyish way.

I was on the fence for a long time. Too much BS going on with 2ed, I have now decided remain 1ed indefinitely. I will spend my table-top $$ on other games.