2 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I REALLY don't like them inventing new ties this close to the OT... 

Save this **** for the FO where having variants that didn't exist in return of the Jedi makes sense. 

Depends on what it's intended use is.  In the Air Force, we have like 5 different fighter jets, F-16, F-15, A-10, F-22, and F-35 as well as larger cargo planes.  In a dogfight, the F-22 is supposed to be the superior aircraft, but if there's a couple F-35s in the air, nothing's getting off the ground.  Or so I'm told.  What do I know?  All I get to do now is pretend like I'm important to the mission once a month.

This aircraft may not have been too useful during a large battle.

Edited by ricefrisbeetreats

The purpose of the TIE/rb seams to be a Heavy Fighter, as its name suggests, meaning it's either A) to expensive to mass produce, like the TIE/d(efender) OR B) a prototype (also like the TIE/d).

My guess here is the former.

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Save this **** for the FO where having variants that didn't exist in return of the Jedi makes sense. 

I mean, the Empire valued numbers as opposed to quality. But new variants aren’t a problem IMO, as there are obviously many different environments, and requirements in the galaxy 

Supposedly one of these TIEs hunted the Millenium Falcon after the battle of Yavin but I don’t know. 

How do you feel about Defenders/Phantoms? 

Edited by Admiral Litje

3 minutes ago, Admiral Litje said:

I mean, the Empire valued numbers as opposed to quality. But new variants aren’t a problem IMO, as there are obviously many different environments, and requirements in the galaxy 

Supposedly one of these TIEs hunted the Millenium Falcon after the battle of Yavin but I don’t know. 

How do you feel about Defenders/Phantoms? 

Defenders I didn't mind so much because there was reason not to see many due to cost, and the rebel assault game explained why phantoms were rare around the time of endor. 

But ultimately, I'm always hesitant when they introduce something in lore or new movies that isn't in the OT, especially if they never explain why it's never seen again. 

I was kinda peeved about Hammerheads in R1 because of this too... It made a really cool scene and a cool ship to use in Armada, but why was it the last time the rebellion used them? 

So possible stats in Armada:

Take a Tie-fighter, increase the hull to 4 and swap swarm for snipe(2). 10 points?

Imperials need a source of snipe other than the fantastic (but unique) Sabre Squadron.

I like the look of the model despite it being a similar idea to those Exp Univ "Chop, Cut & Paste" silly designs like adding tracked wheels or ugly oblong solar panels.

Oh yes and has anyone else spotted the Cylon Gunner. (or is it Knight rider?)

Edited by Mad Cat

Couple things I like about this...

1.  It makes the TIE Fighter look "Modular".  Unplug a wing, insert this big gun, plug the wing back in on other side of gun.

2.  Asymmetrical design.  I am a sucker for asymmetrical fighters, and ships in general.  The Falcon, YT-2400, B-Wing, even the TIE Bomber to a lesser extent.  All favorites of mine.

I have to say new designs introduced prior to ANH that don't appear in the trilogy are problematic.  TIE Striker and TIE Reaper from Rogue One bothered me, as did the U-Wing.  The U-Wing I let go a bit because it was more a troop drop ship and no opportunities for that function came up in the original trilogy.  I think the TIE Reaper might fill a similar roll for the Empire.  Lots of Rebels content can be thrown in that bucket as well.

If you look at it as the TIE Fighter being modular maybe this setup is very specialized for hunting ships like the Falcon that have stronger defenses.  IDK, I just like to go for the ride and have fun for the most part.

56 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Consider it a prototype for the TIE Bomber, then.

At this point, the Empire doesn't have Interceptors, Defenders, Bombers, just the TIE Fighter as the first thing they built.  So they need a heavy ordnance version, what do you do?  Extend it a bit and add a weapon pod until your newly designed, purpose-built, bombers are finished.

6 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

1.  It makes the TIE Fighter look "Modular".  Unplug a wing, insert this big gun, plug the wing back in on other side of gun.

Modular?

Or maybe the grooves around the big gun are because it can spin around and shoot up/down/backwards?  (Shooting 'down', particularly, would be useful of this is to be the predecessor to the TIE Bomber)

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

Modular?

Or maybe the grooves around the big gun are because it can spin around and shoot up/down/backwards?  (Shooting 'down', particularly, would be useful of this is to be the predecessor to the TIE Bomber)

I think you could have it both ways.  It could rotate and be modular at the same time.

40 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

So possible stats in Armada:

Take a Tie-fighter, increase the hull to 4 and swap swarm for snipe(2). 10 points?

Imperials need a source of snipe other than the fantastic (but unique) Sabre Squadron.

I like the look of the model despite it being a similar idea to those Exp Univ "Chop, Cut & Paste" silly designs like adding tracked wheels or ugly oblong solar panels.

Oh yes and has anyone else spotted the Cylon Gunner. (or is it Knight rider?)

I would have the TIE Avenger as an Imperial snipe fighter.

I have no problems with new designs being introduced around the OT.

The Star Wars Universe is a vast place, with literally millions of star systems. Some designs saw widespread use, others didn’t. The ships at Endor were the ones the Rebels could scrape together on short notice, and the Imperial ships were the most common and widespread in use. It doesn’t mean their weren’t others in use throughout the galaxy. There could be dozens, hundreds, even thousands of specialty designs that only see use in limited areas. The Empire could have commissioned just as many prototypes to keep up with the Rebels. The Rebels could have designs from hundreds of different sympathetic allies. 

The possibilities are endless and shouldn’t be stifled.  

If people are bothered by the lack of further appearances of the TIE Heavy, think of it much like the many tank designs that existed for a brief period just before WW II. So many short lived designs disappeared because they didn't work as intended, too weak, mechanically not reliable in combat, blah blah blah... That is how I am looking this beast not showing up elsewhere in the series.

Looks like a re-engineered TIE. Either it has extra plating to build up a TIE or just has TIE-looking components. The cockpit glass is smaller...

I'd write it up as a TIE/LN variant constructed to take heavier armament in place of the standard guns. It's like the G-variant of the JU-87 re-armed with anti-tank guns, except instead of switching the fighter from a diver bomber to anti-tank craft it's switching an interceptor to an anti-emplacement fighter.

3 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Defenders I didn't mind so much because there was reason not to see many due to cost, and the rebel assault game explained why phantoms were rare around the time of endor. 

But ultimately, I'm always hesitant when they introduce something in lore or new movies that isn't in the OT, especially if they never explain why it's never seen again. 

I was kinda peeved about Hammerheads in R1 because of this too... It made a really cool scene and a cool ship to use in Armada, but why was it the last time the rebellion used them? 

When you watch a WW2 movie do they show you every single type of vehicle and armerment used in the scope of the war? No they dont.

Often you see what was most commonly used such as Shermans or Bulldogs. P51s and B17s maybe even B29s. You rarely see the variants of those or the vast array of planes involved. Yet when one of the more ra rely seen warplanes is used in a movie those movies never have to explain why.

In the film Dunkirk the Germans are seen using what are meant to be Stuka but we don't come out of the theatre assuming they don't use dozens of other designs.

Think of the diversity of arms in WW1 and WW2 used by Germany alone. Its ridiculous. That's a tiny nation amongst many others on one planet. 

So it's silly to get angry the Empire is using a tie variant eight years before the OT. 

Realistically a galaxy spanning empire would have thousands of design variants to meet the challenges involved in pacifying ten thousand plus alien species. 

If anything it's more unrealistic that Ties haven't changed at all from Solo to ROTJ. At least the First Order Ties have some differences upon further scrutiny, although not enough imo.

Edited by Forresto

3 minutes ago, Forresto said:

When you watch a WW2 movie do they show you every single type of vehicle and armerment used in the scope of the war? No they dont.

Often you see what was most commonly used such as Shermans or Bulldogs. P51s and B17s maybe even B29s. You rarely see the variants of either or the vast array of weapons deployed. Yet those movies never have to explain why.

In Dunkirk the Germans are seen using what are meant to be Stuka but we don't come out assuming they don't use other dozens of other designs.

Think of the diversity of arms in WW1 and WW2 used by Germany. That's a tiny nation amongst many others on one planet. 

So it's silly to get angry the Empire is using a tie variant eight years before the OT. 

Realistically a galaxy spanning empire would have thousands of design variants to meet the challenges involved in pacifying ten thousand plus alien species. 

Kinda feel like posting all possible german vehicles and configurations and compare it with which are seen in which war movies now.

6 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Often you see what was most commonly used such as Shermans or Bulldogs. P51s and B17s maybe even B29s. You rarely see the variants of either or the vast array of weapons deployed. Yet those movies never have to explain why.

In Dunkirk the Germans are seen using what are meant to be Stuka but we don't come out assuming they don't use other dozens of other designs.

Think of the diversity of arms in WW1 and WW2 used by Germany. That's a tiny nation amongst many others on one planet. 

@Darth Sanguis Similarly to this, the rebellion's ability to procure and outfit ships is always depicted as fairly limited; there's no reason to believe that the hammerheads we saw at Scarif weren't among the last surviving models. Attrition can easily explain their absence from the later films.

Edited by OlaphOfTheNorth
(@ the person I'm actually addressing)

I quite like it but i think that it should have kept its basic blasters under the cockpit as well as the additional heavy blasters on the side.

In Armada:

• Abilities: lose swarm
  • Anti squadron: 2 blue, 1 black
  • Anti Ship: 1 red

Reasons:

• Ship looks a bit unwieldy compared to a standard tie
  • Heavy canons so add a black with a higher % of doing damage to squadrons or ships