Sign in to follow this  
Kravel

How useful is Creatures Anathema for Rogue Trader?

I searched the forums but couldn't find an exact answer. For a GM new to both Rogue Trader and the 40K universe, how useful is Creatures Anathema? I'm okay with using creatures that aren't cannon in the wrong sectors, I'm just curious if the power levels work and if the rules match.

Any advice and feedback would be great.

I'd say it's better for RT than for DH. There's quite a few creatures in there to which the correct response from a DH group would be "RUN!", while a RT crew might engage in a little big game hunting.

I've found it invaluable for having stats for Orks and Eldar. The Ork boarding actions have been a lot more varied and dramatic with the addition of Mega-Armoured Nobz as opposed to the brief Rogue Trader entry.

I've used the book more often for RT than I have for DH, and my DH campaign has been running far longer.

Tantavalist said:

I've found it invaluable for having stats for Orks and Eldar. The Ork boarding actions have been a lot more varied and dramatic with the addition of Mega-Armoured Nobz as opposed to the brief Rogue Trader entry.

I've used the book more often for RT than I have for DH, and my DH campaign has been running far longer.

I should get a lot of use out of it, then. Thanks for the examples.

I'm alternately running/playing both RT and DH, and I'm getting much mileage from Creatures Anathema for both. While definitely "biased" towards Acolytes and the kinds of problems they tend to face, many of the things in the book may realistically come up in a RT campaign as well, from mutant crime lords to mutated "ghouls" stalking Space Hulks to demons to various Xenos.

And while some adversaries may indeed be a bit on the weak side taking into account the kind of firepower a Rogue Trader and his team can bring to the field, not few of them are still very challenging, and many either come in large numbers naturally or have other ways of screwing with the team than going in guns-blazing.

And, until and unless a dedicated bestiary to RT arrives, it's the only choice you have in the matter. Well worth it, if you ask me.