Captain Pellaeon

2nd ED Core Set - Mandatory?

I already have three core sets.  When they go on sale they are a good deal for bulking up on ships and dice.  But I don’t need a fourth.

I haven’t managed to make it through any videos to the point where anyone uses the barrel roll.  Are we talking about a line bisecting the straight 1?  If that piece of cardboard is “required” then it’s just a money grab.  Anyone with half a brain and a ruler could add a line to their own template...

8 minutes ago, william1134 said:

It is a bit scummy that the maneuver templates and damage deck is not in the conversion kit. Honestly I don't need more tie fighters, xwings or dice. :( 

I don't particularly want to end up with 4 sets of templates and 4 damage decks, thanks.

1 minute ago, BigBadAndy said:

I already have three core sets.  When they go on sale they are a good deal for bulking up on ships and dice.  But I don’t need a fourth.

I haven’t managed to make it through any videos to the point where anyone uses the barrel roll.  Are we talking about a line bisecting the straight 1?  If that piece of cardboard is “required” then it’s just a money grab.  Anyone with half a brain and a ruler could add a line to their own template...

The line that runs down the center of all the turns and banks is also used to resolve bumps now rather than the current method, so you need more than the 1 forward.

For me the question isn't whether or not I have to buy a new Core Set; its how many do I need?

A little back story: Unlike most of you, I have a very small collection. I have Blue Core x2 and Red Core x1. That's it. I'm not going to bother with a conversion kit for 1 T-65 and 2 TIE/ln. When a First Order / Resistance kit comes out I'll pick that up. I'll probably pick up Renegades since it is compatible but the Reaper doesn't inspire me that much.

So, what do you guys think? With my OT ships in mothballs and the TFA stuff not legal yet, am I better off just buying a 2nd Core to start off with more ships? Or can I be happy flying Rebs casually with only 2 X-wings and 1 U-wing space worthy at the moment. 

Look at that? I've been following this game since Wave 7 and still asking Noob questions! Thanks for the advice guys.

4 minutes ago, Eyegor said:

For me the question isn't whether or not I have to buy a new Core Set; its how many do I need?

A little back story: Unlike most of you, I have a very small collection. I have Blue Core x2 and Red Core x1. That's it. I'm not going to bother with a conversion kit for 1 T-65 and 2 TIE/ln. When a First Order / Resistance kit comes out I'll pick that up. I'll probably pick up Renegades since it is compatible but the Reaper doesn't inspire me that much.

So, what do you guys think? With my OT ships in mothballs and the TFA stuff not legal yet, am I better off just buying a 2nd Core to start off with more ships? Or can I be happy flying Rebs casually with only 2 X-wings and 1 U-wing space worthy at the moment. 

Look at that? I've been following this game since Wave 7 and still asking Noob questions! Thanks for the advice guys.

What do you mean by OT ships in mothballs?

One core plus conversions kits should be all you'd ever need.

1 hour ago, william1134 said:

It is a bit scummy that the maneuver templates and damage deck is not in the conversion kit. Honestly I don't need more tie fighters, xwings or dice. :( 

Not nearly as scummy as getting charged for a core set worth of cardboard with each faction's conversion kit. I have all three factions. One core set is a much better way to go in my estimation. 

2 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Not nearly as scummy as getting charged for a core set worth of cardboard with each faction's conversion kit. I have all three factions. One core set is a much better way to go in my estimation. 

Yup.  I don't need another 3 sets of templates and rocks.  I already have 2 card template sets and 2 acrylic ones.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

What do you mean by OT ships in mothballs?

One core plus conversions kits should be all you'd ever need.

Thanks for the quick reply. What I meant was I wasn't going to buy conversion kits  since I only have 1-T65 and 2 TIE/ln. When the kit(s) for the TFA ships come out I will grab one.

The biggest outcry should be from the people who mainly play Scum. 

They - Do not need any ties or X-Wings

they - have no interest in the unique cards for said TIES or Xwings

they - do need to buy it for templates and a damage deck?

they - should probably wait for curled paw to put out new templates and All-Wings to do a new damage deck. 

2 hours ago, Otacon said:

The line that runs down the center of all the turns and banks is also used to resolve bumps now rather than the current method, so you need more than the 1 forward.

No, you don’t “need” this line.  It’s the exact same method just pretending to be more “precise.”

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

The scummy part is making useless new cardboard and pretending it is something the new rules just couldn’t live without so that people can run around pretending that this is a “feature” of the new core set.  Same with “new” maneuver dials for ships that see little or only minor changes to their maneuvers.  It’s not needed.  Arguing about whether it is better to include it in the new core set or the conversion kit misses the point.

36 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

I will pick up the core set, take the damage deck and templates and sell the rest at half price. New players, who want to cheaply expand their collection will jump on that.

YOU don't need the extra ships & dice from the core set, BUT you can give or trade them away to new players and help build up your player base.

Arrange some kind of a trade with someone getting into the game. If you buy a core, sell them the parts you don't want for $10 or $15. Likely they're getting a complete core set already and would jump at the chance to get 3 complete ships for so cheap and you get what you want for less than a tank of gas.

Lots of people bought multiple Red or Blue core sets of 1.0. Many new players will too; buy what you need from one of them. You have 4 months to make new friends (Store Championships!) and introduce new players into X-wing.

I'd suggest having a 1.0 version of a "Quickbuild" list handy, so you can introduce a new player or 3 to the hobby. Loan them your ships for the night, it's not going to hurt. Potential new players should always be encouraged to try the game out.

Build your player base, build your community and that legwork will pay out in ways you haven't even considered yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Or we could cry into our chocolate milk. 

??

17 hours ago, william1134 said:

3rd parties will surely come out with acrylic templates and you could try to acquire a pre-order damage deck. So that’s sorted, right?

16 hours ago, Wiredin said:

They - Do not need any ties or X-Wings

they - have no interest in the unique cards for said TIES or Xwings

they - do need to buy it for templates and a damage deck?

they - should probably wait for curled paw to put out new templates and All-Wings to do a new damage deck. 

I'm assuming there'll be a rulebook and quick reference guide for 2nd Edition in the core set as normal.  I imagine they'll also be available to download as a pdf as normal, but hey, a bookley is good as well

19 hours ago, Engine25 said:

It's a new game.  People try to fight it and deny it, but it's a new game.  You need to buy a new core set when you buy into a new game.

Well they did have a no minis core set for Runewars TMG so there is a chance they could offer something similer here. 

Here's a CRAZY idea -just include the one template piece that's actually new. It'll have the dividing center line on it, so that we can see just how life-changingly amazeballs that is in practical usage. If we find that it really comes in handy, we'll make a decision to buy the new core set.

The damage decks... Really should be either included in the conversion kits, or at the very least sold separately. ****, I'd mail in proof of purchase or an old damage deck to swap so they know I'm an existing customer. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't see any info about epic damage decks around -will those still be valid, will they be replaced? What's the deal there? Will the conversion kits include new movement templates for them? The new core obviously won't.

I personally have... Too many core sets. I started with one of each. Then I got an extra red set on sale and thought "good deal, for all the components, dice, and bits you get in there... Why not?" Then even later, I grabbed a fourth which still sits in shrink as a planned gift for... I don't even know who. But now I best gift it FAST. Haha.

My point is, I actually really like having extra maneuver templates -its super handy not having to reach across the table or pass them back and forth. I'm a little irritated that I'm going to have to get a new core set just for one template set... I've already got so many X-Wings and TIEs, more than the conversion kit will ever allow me to use unless I double down on those too. Ugh. And dice. I like having plenty for each player, especially in 2v2 games, but I don't need any more and it feels like I'm almost being bullied into it if I want my collection to stay relevant for events and such. So I'm basically going to be shelling out, what, about $200 dollars (after tax) just to keep SOME of the ships I already have usable? I'll need a conversion kit for each faction, plus a core set at minimum, realistically just for the new movement tracks and a small damage deck. The whole thing just seems a little off-putting to me.

Let's imagine every conversion kit contained new templates (1 straight and 1,2,3 turn templates are needed for new barrel and talon rolls), a damage deck, and new rules sheets but cost an extra $5.  Has FFG made more people happy or fewer?  I'm honestly not sure.  I'm sure we would hear at least some people complaining about having to pay for 3+ copies of the rulebook and damage deck etc.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, Frimmel said:

So... when I buy set of templates and 33 small cards... I must also pay for three ships I don't want. That is more okay to you?

And I am not even talking about the lifespan of cardboard templates which are only available for 40USD and are mandatory for the game.

3 minutes ago, Jiron said:

So... when I buy set of templates and 33 small cards... I must also pay for three ships I don't want. That is more okay to you?

And I am not even talking about the lifespan of cardboard templates which are only available for 40USD and are mandatory for the game.

2nd Edition will need an entry point for new players. It needs a core set.

Old/existing players on the average won't just be getting one conversion kit. It seems unreasonable to me to include the new core set items in the conversion kits. A product that is just the core set without the ships won't be needed for very long after 2nd Ed is out. How much would it cost compared to the new core? I suspect that it would cost enough that the core would be the better deal. I suspect new core sets works for a considerably greater number of folks than it doesn't. It is unfortunate that this solution doesn't work for you.