Captain Pellaeon

2nd ED Core Set - Mandatory?

While I overall like the upcoming 2nd edition of the game, and I'm more or less satisfied with the contents of the conversion kits (needs 3 Defenders though), the only thing that really bugs me, is that do we absolutely must have to buy (yet another) core set too? Aside from a new damage deck, and possible the new maneouvre templates, what else is in it that's so important? New tokens and markets will be in the conv kits too, since upgrade cards will require them to function properly. 1st ED dice and obstackles are compatible with 2nd ED. Rulebook can be DL-ed from the internet, or it might be even included in the new app.

I don't argue the necessity of the existence of a new core set - FFG must always think of new players, but I'm also sure that many people who own at least two (or more ) of the previous CSs already, may not be thrilled to buy another one.

Okay, we get a shiny new flappy winged X-Wing model. That's cool. But we also get that from the $20 blister (which should be $15 btw).

For the sake of customer satisfaction, I think FFG should consider including a new damage deck in the conversion kits too. If I got to play $50 to get the new damage deck, I'm not going to be happy about it, and I'm sure a lot of other folks won't as well.

I'm looking at it as a updated core set.  The value of the set is in the 3 ships and the rest are freebies. 40 for the core and the retail on individual ships are 20 each it makes sense.  Do I need 2 more ties and another xwing? Not really, but I'll gladly take them for the rest I'll need to play the updated version of the game.  I recently bought in the game so I'm still buying 1.0 ships to complete a collection.  

2 minutes ago, The captn said:

I'm looking at it as a updated core set.  The value of the set is in the 3 ships and the rest are freebies. 40 for the core and the retail on individual ships are 20 each it makes sense.  Do I need 2 more ties and another xwing? Not really, but I'll gladly take them for the rest I'll need to play the updated version of the game.  I recently bought in the game so I'm still buying 1.0 ships to complete a collection.  

Recently bought in? Welcome aboard then. :)

I sank over $400 into the game over the last 3 years, though none in the recent couple months, and I'm far from owning everything. My issue is, that I just can't feel like another core set is good value for money, when I already have two.

We don't know full content of the 2nd edition core set yet. 

It does seem that it's not just a matter of a new damage deck. The templates are needed for the new barrel roll and talon role mechanics. New tokens, as well, where the shapes and colors have specific game meaning. The core might also contain cards not included in the conversion kits.

If adding a damage deck to the conversion kits raised the prices of those kits, then I'd end up paying for 4 more damage decks than I need. (Assuming one per conversion kit per faction.)

So while I may not be super happy about needing a new core set, but I can see the logic in it. So much we just don't know yet.

If you just want the damage deck, will most likely be able to find it cheap on ebay, since everyone who preorders this will have 2 damage decks (the regular and the t-65 special edition) so figure alot will ditch the extra one. You also need the templates too though since the lines are needed for the barrel rolls, but can maybe just borrow the opponents template each time you need to do one of those.

Yeah Luke and pork are exclusive to the new core set and I imagine so are any other unique cards.

So

templates

damage deck

pilots

new debris 

new rulebook

quick build cards for core set content

whatever un announced objective play mode stuff.

You also get a very good value on extra ships and likely an improved paint job on the white ties (they did a sculpt refresh with the blue gozanti ties)

The new core is pretty necessary IMO. The second damage deck promotion is also fantastic given that is the least shareable component. 

Edited by TylerTT

Don't forget that the Core Set X-Wing is also painted up as a Red Five/Luke X-Wing whereas the standard blisters will be Red Squadron generic X-Wings. 

24 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

You also get a very good value on extra ships and likely an improved paint job on the white ties (they did a sculpt refresh with the blue gozanti ties)

The new core is pretty necessary IMO. The second damage deck promotion is also fantastic given that is the least shareable component. 

Are the Ties still white, it looked like they now made them and the Advanced the standard Imperial blue as with everything else? If they are I know I'm personally thinking of getting the core set and one Tie expansion so I have 10 Tie fighters, half ANH white and half ESB blue. 

Edited by Animewarsdude

52 minutes ago, Dax12387 said:

We don't know full content of the 2nd edition core set yet. 

It does seem that it's not just a matter of a new damage deck. The templates are needed for the new barrel roll and talon role mechanics. New tokens, as well, where the shapes and colors have specific game meaning. The core might also contain cards not included in the conversion kits.

If adding a damage deck to the conversion kits raised the prices of those kits, then I'd end up paying for 4 more damage decks than I need. (Assuming one per conversion kit per faction.)

So while I may not be super happy about needing a new core set, but I can see the logic in it. So much we just don't know yet.

Also obstacles. It looks like 2 debris and 2 asteroids. To date, debris has been quite awkward to get...

It's not the first time we buy a core set just for the damage deck  :ph34r:

Remember the force awakens core set ? :)

I remember people said they quit the game for this but I don't really see much of that so.... :P

6 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

It's not the first time we buy a core set just for the damage deck  :ph34r:

Remember the force awakens core set ? :)

I remember people said they quit the game for this but I don't really see much of that so.... :P

The TFA core set was different, at least for me. You got two new (sub)factions with that, plus ships, plus 1 spare set of everything you already had. If I wouldn't own the TFA set already, I'd have no problems with buying the 2ED one. But I guess we'll have to see the actual content of the box to cast judgement.

Yes you must have the 1 straight template to be legal, so your basically buying a 1 straight and the rest is fluff

they answered this question in the interview/announcement

Edited by MrMaggles

7 minutes ago, MrMaggles said:

Yes you must have the 1 straight template to be legal, so your basically buying a 1 straight and the rest is fluff

they answered this question in the interview/announcement

You also get pilots and upgrades that are not in the conversion kits. 

3 hours ago, Madtheos said:

You can get a stand-alone deck, but you'll need templates with the new lines down the middle still. 

I think it wouldn't be such an issue to add damage deck and set of templates to each conversion kit. It would deffinatelly help the PR of the product because: "If you are veteran player, you can buy Conversion Kit and you are good to go with everything you need to play the Second Edition".

Me and my wife, we both play X-Wing and the necessity to buy at least 2 conversion kits and 2 core sets is quite major strike to the family budget. Especially here in Eastern Europe (salary-wise ;-)).

You'll need the core for the new tokens. They don't put Focus and Stress in blisters any more.

There are also a few components in the new core that didn't exist before: there's a 90 degree template for marking ship positions and doing on the spot rotations (like the U-wing) and some sort of hyperspace deployment template for Escalation.

4 hours ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Okay, we get a shiny new flappy winged X-Wing model. That's cool. But we also get that from the $20 blister (which should be $15 btw).

Probably worth pointing out that that shiny new flappy winged X-Wing model comes in Luke's "Red Five" paint scheme - which is only available in the new Core Set.  The T65 X-Wing expansion in Wave 1 will have a generic Red Squadron paint scheme.

31 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

The only things you absolutely NEED are the damage deck and the 1 straight with the line down the middle.

But you'll probably WANT it, it has content not in the conversion kits, and you know, the rule book.

It’s worth pointing out that you will probably be needing the turns as well to execute Tallon Rolls. 

Edited by FalseError
Took out reference to S-loops

10 minutes ago, FalseError said:

It’s worth pointing out that you will probably be needing the turns and banks as well to execute S-Loops and Tallon Rolls. 

It doesn't look like it.  Sloops wouldn't need them anyway, they use nubs, and the implication so far from demo games is that trolls just go either all the way forward or all the way back, or just work with full slop as in 1e.

8 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It doesn't look like it.  Sloops wouldn't need them anyway, they use nubs, and the implication so far from demo games is that trolls just go either all the way forward or all the way back, or just work with full slop as in 1e.

You are correct sir. Although I had expected the Tallon roll to work similarly to a standard barrel roll. 

The lines going through the the middle of the templates will be helpful when working out bumps, though not mandatory in the least. 

17 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

They did mention needing it for the Tallon Roll on the stream, for what it's worth.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see people selling new 1-forward acrylics with the new markings as a little update for the barrel rolls.

Edited by __underscore__

I don't think FFG is going to provide any kind of core set without any miniatures, but I'm still hoping they'll release another core set with different miniatures.  I have nine tie fighters and five t-65 x-wings, I don't want to buy more. 

On the other hand, if they were to release a resistance vs. first order core set, I'd be more interested.  I only have two t-70 x-wings and three tie/fo. 

Really a core set with *anything* other than original-trilogy ships would be better.   I'm a big OT fan, so I already have a ton of OT ships.