Sign in to follow this  
D34d guru

Are the conversion kits a scam?

8 minutes ago, christizzz said:

Still not a clear answer. I GET That EVERYTHING is included for wave 1.... what abt wave 2 ?  wave 3 ?will the Conversion Kits have them too ? even the new cards .

Will the Cards for The Tie Defender be the same  in the conversion kit AND the future rerelease of the Tie Defender.... 

answer provided here

10 minutes ago, christizzz said:

Will the Cards for The Tie Defender be the same  in the conversion kit AND the future rerelease of the Tie Defender.... 

I don't believe they will be the exact same. From how I'm reading it, the expansion packs will include the same cards as the conversions kits plus additional cards.

The idea is that a new player will not be required to buy the conversion packs to get content missing from the 2.0 single-ship expansion packs. This is a good thing for new players.

It's also good for existing players in the sense that the conversion kits will let you begin playing immediately with your existing ships with a selection of pilots and upgrades, and in the future still get new and exciting pilots/upgrades from the single-ship expansions. I don't want 2.0 to be limited only to the pilots in the conversion kits. 

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/products/btl-a4-y-wing-expansion-pack/

The BTL-A4 Y-Wing Expansion Pack includes a beautifully pre-painted miniature and all the ship and upgrade cards you need to incorporate this powerful ship into your Rebel squadron. In addition, the BTL-A4 Y-Wing Expansion Pack contains a few entirely new cards that have never before appeared in the game's first edition.

But have they fixed the Gold Squadron Pilot Card?

18 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

You misspelled "dictionary".

Cheers...glad you noticed.

Now, back to the topic. 

No trolling, but it is a scam. Eventually everyone Will invest in the conversion kits and all Will end up buying the new models. So they just give the coulorblind a simple bandaid.

2 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

I don't understand. 40$ to update 2 ships with Saw's Renegades. 50$ to update your whole one faction? CRAZY! END OF THE WORLD.

Well Saws gets you two new ships ?

and you know, I don't think we can actually tell if Saw's stuff will be in the conversion

i mean, servos etc are all getting rolled into the base Xwing, but idk about the Saw pilots/crew/etc

its not like we're getting a reaper conversion kit, after all 

1 hour ago, christizzz said:

Still not a clear answer. I GET That EVERYTHING is included for wave 1.... what abt wave 2 ?  wave 3 ?will the Conversion Kits have them too ? even the new cards .

The reason you're not getting a clear answer is because they have made no public statements about what is coming after wave 2.  (And really the only thing we know about wave 2 is that the conversion kits for Resistance and First Order will be in it.)

But we can derive an answer with a pretty simple thought exercise.  XW, (like nearly ALL FFG games) is a collectible, dynamic, expandable game.  Do you think that FFG is going to let this game sit in a static state for 3-years / 8 expansions before they examine new design space?   Almost assuredly, by wave 3, they will have ideas for new game mechanics that they haven't explored yet.  The purpose of the conversion kits is to make your entire collection backward compatible ON LAUNCH DAY.  It is most definitely NOT a promise to hold the game in a static state until the next Filoni cartoon (2 years out) gives them a brand-new ship idea.

Best guess would be when a ship gets reprinted in the 2.0 version a year from now, yes it will contain new content, such as pilots and faction specific upgrades. FFG is a business and needs to sell the new product. The non-specific faction upgrades will be found in multiple SKUs however, so that is something. Best way to think of the reprinted ships are they are like Ace packs. I truly hope they update all the models, or at least provide an alt paint scheme. It would be cool if the old paint jobs where put out of print permanently.

3 minutes ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

The reason you're not getting a clear answer is because they have made no public statements about what is coming after wave 2.  (And really the only thing we know about wave 2 is that the conversion kits for Resistance and First Order will be in it.)

But we can derive an answer with a pretty simple thought exercise.  XW, (like nearly ALL FFG games) is a collectible, dynamic, expandable game.  Do you think that FFG is going to let this game sit in a static state for 3-years / 8 expansions before they examine new design space?   Almost assuredly, by wave 3, they will have ideas for new game mechanics that they haven't explored yet.  The purpose of the conversion kits is to make your entire collection backward compatible ON LAUNCH DAY.  It is most definitely NOT a promise to hold the game in a static state until the next Filoni cartoon (2 years out) gives them a brand-new ship idea.

True, but they have said several times that old players won't need to rebuy ships even after wave 1. Most likely there will be individual conversion kits every wave with the pilot/upgrade cards and bases.

Again: FFG has said, several times, that there will be a "conversion path" for existing players that will not require rebuying any ships, in wave 1 or later.

2 minutes ago, StriderZessei said:

Returning players will want a new Core Set, and whatever Conversion Kits suit their fancy.

This existing player does NOT want another core set. I have four - I do not need any more.

Put the stuff I need in the conversion kits.

2 hours ago, marcnelsonjr said:

The conversion kits won't be a scam IF they include everything an existing player needs to get into 2.0. No core set purchase should be necessary.

I think the core is still required for some things like the rules. This was mentioned in a interview between Team Covenant and some guy from FFG.

1 minute ago, marcnelsonjr said:

This existing player does NOT want another core set. I have four - I do not need any more.

Put the stuff I need in the conversion kits.

Allow me to rephrase: they will NEED a new Core Set, at least for rules, templates, and a couple specific cards.

Just now, Stoneface said:

I think the core is still required for some things like the rules. This was mentioned in a interview between Team Covenant and some guy from FFG.

Then put the rules in the conversion kits. Or give out 2.0 rules, damage decks, and new templates to existing players in then next OP kit.

The kits are not perfect and could have been way better, but they had to happen for 2.0 to happen.

A conversion kit is NOT a full set of expansions for the ships listed. It obviously does not come with plastic ship models. It contains ALL the dials and ship bases for those ships listed, but does NOT contain all upgrades that 2.0 expansions will include. Those new upgrades will be included in further conversion kits. The total conversion per faction will not be only core + $50, but core + $50 + a kit per new wave we have (at a rate of 2 ships per faction, that is going to eventually be a lot of kits in as short a period as they can physically push content out).

So, full believers are getting boned thinking they only need to spend for the core and their faction's upgrade kit, and lunatics like you better stay away, because it is even more expensive. Lets just all admit FFG got greedier and released a product that fixes common community complaints (this will lead to all matches being long and tedious) with still some flaws which can never be corrected in this version and have bad side effects (like upgrade cards being full sized). In the execution department, they could have made small changes like including stuff that is statistically more likely to be in the majority of old player's collections like more x-wings and less ships like double HWK or so on, at basically no extra cost.

Will I upgrade? I have to, because I'm so heavily invested in, it is still cheaper to upgrade than to switch to another collectible competitive game. Am I happy? For being more welcoming to new players, some stuff like adding force powers, better tokens and a better turn flow, yes. For damage decks and templates not being compatible, a lower overall power level (leading to long and tedious games) and some execution decisions (making upgrades bigger just because they needed an extra 10% space to make icons bigger, instead of making art smaller leading to increased time or space requirements by a lot, and having a big kit full of useless stuff and then more upgrade kits instead of many small full kits players can choose from), no.

For people who have a lot of space area for playing and a lot of money to throw at, it will be easier to digest, as long as they think the new version will be more 'skill intensive' and don't mind tediously moving ships but not firing at all because of more limited arc requirements. Know that there was a way to make those better for the rest though, so people with less money to throw at will tend to be unhappier.

Edited by falveryn

3 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

You do not have to buy the new models to get new cards, upgrades, bases, or dials to convert the old ship.

Do more research next time.

im seeing the same issues after reading the contents. many players like myself will need to purchase 2 or 3 conversion kits for a single faction, for example to run 3 tie defenders you need 2 conversion kits, and for a 5 khiraxz squad you need 3 conversion kits. it also appears that many components will be sized differently, meaning that any storage solutions players purchased may or may not work anymore. colored bases will no longer work for "medium ships", so anyone who invested money in those is kunda screwed. it is also unclear if an appropriate number of medium bases will come in conversion kits at all.

for example if k-wings and arc170s are both now medium bases, will the rebel pack come with 4 medium bases? we dont know yet and that is a huge deal

They have discussed having an upgrade path for future waves to allow veterans to collect new cards without having to buy new ship packs. They are not discussing the details of the upgrade path yet, but it will exist.