BlodVargarna

Thoughts after watching the Covenant play through video with Alex

I just finished the video of the 2.0 play through

My takeaway thoughts are ( in no particular order)

- Feel is important, and that is a really good thing. The designers made the ships to feel like how they are supposed to and they can price them later. This is good design.

-Getting back to the roots of the game (and Star Wars) The play style of the game seems way more Star Warsy and back to what exited me so much about the game when I first started. Position and out guessing your opponent are way more important. 

-The U wing is great. I love how they changed it’s pivot options (90 degrees FTW!) and adding the coordinate action. 

-Jek is a hero. -SPOILER 

-Love proton torpedo (and other ordinance) charge dynamic. A one and done shot for protons was terrible in 1.0. This is cool. A flight of X wings armed with PT will terrify the Empire!!!

-Stress mechanic seems nerfed a bit but maybe that’s because there weren’t any stress dealing ships. 

-Barrel rolling simplifying is probably a good thing. And Barrel rolling X wings is a GREAT thing. 

-I am hyped for 2.0. Honestly it’s hard to want to play 1.0 at all while I wait for 2.0. 

Edited by BlodVargarna

5 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:
5 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

-Love proton torpedo (and other ordinance) charge dynamic. A one and done shot for protons was terrible in 1.0. This is cool. A flight of X wings armed with PT will terrify the Empire!!!

This could be a bad thing. What if ordnance becomes essential to being able to deal damage? Then again, they could always up the point costs. 

Edited by Celestial Lizards

1 minute ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Spoiler warning

This could be a bad thing. What if ordnance becomes essential to being able to deal damage? Then again, they could always up the point costs. 

I edited my post. Maybe you do too and then no spoilers. 

1 minute ago, BlodVargarna said:

Only if you don't take the Renegade Refit (is that what it's called?) the is in Saw's Renegades

Just now, BlodVargarna said:

Not sure if that’s going to even be a thing in 2.0

Good point, lol.  My brain is still in 1.0 mode, I need to upgrade it to 2.0 mindset.

3 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Yup that's my concern as well

With action efficiency being seeming so hard to come buy, the allure of a fully modded four die attack is HUGE

But with the App, they can adjust costs per ship AND pilots (could be more expensive on higher ps)

i imagine theyre going to do away with all the current "Remove slot, add slot or make cheaper" titles/mods to cut back on the cards.
Virtually all of them were mandatory anyway, some few exceptions like the ywing bombing refit is situational.

Is there a link to this video you were watching?

6 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

i imagine theyre going to do away with all the current "Remove slot, add slot or make cheaper" titles/mods to cut back on the cards.
Virtually all of them were mandatory anyway, some few exceptions like the ywing bombing refit is situational.

Is there a link to this video you were watching?

All the "fix" stuff has been rolled onto the pilot card

Reapers get their ailerons. Xwings have trolls and roll built in. Tie/x1 has a "nerfed" advanced targeting computer (but can also take the new fcs and presumably other system upgrades ), and phantoms get a new Stygium array etc.

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

All the "fix" stuff has been rolled onto the pilot card

Reapers get their ailerons. Xwings have trolls and roll built in. Tie/x1 has a "nerfed" advanced targeting computer (but can also take the new fcs), and phantoms get a new Stygium array etc.

This is honestly one of my favorite parts.  It lets them differentiate ships a bit and gets rid of the 0 point title cards that added new mechanics.

19 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

I am hyped for 2.0. Honestly it’s hard to want to play 1.0 at all while I wait for 2.0. 

I’ll be focusing only on Legion while I decide how to handle the switch to 2.0, if o make the switch at all. 

If you are looking for an excuse to NOT buy into 2.0, then do not watch the video.  Seeing X-wings and TIE fighters flying around while deploying weaponized joy and happiness was great.  Second edition feels like it is simultaneously a grown-up for reals attempt at a competitive miniatures game and also a return to basics:  Set dial, move ship, blow stuff up.

20 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

With action efficiency being seeming so hard to come buy, the allure of a fully modded four die attack is HUGE

But with the App, they can adjust costs per ship AND pilots (could be more expensive on higher ps)

Ideally a fully modified 4 die attack is as difficult to get as it is worthwhile. 

In 1.0 it's either been more difficult than it's been worth or so easy that it swamps out all other attacks. 

11 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

The tube synergy was just beautiful. I can't wait to try that myself, turned my entire anticipation for Saws Rebels upside down (from no longer buying X-Wing to anxious for the release date).

Totally tubular!  I honestly think that is one of the coolest combos I've seen, and probably pretty balanced too.  It works wonders, but at PS2, so it can be avoided by maneuverable ships.  real cool.

15 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

If you are looking for an excuse to NOT buy into 2.0, then do not watch the video.  Seeing X-wings and TIE fighters flying around while deploying weaponized joy and happiness was great.  Second edition feels like it is simultaneously a grown-up for reals attempt at a competitive miniatures game and also a return to basics:  Set dial, move ship, blow stuff up.

I said this to my friend yesterday. X-wing is all grown up and acting like a real miniatures game!

27 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

To clarify- proton torps change a hit to a crit now in addition to keeping target locks. A big improvement but not quite as scary as turning an eyeball to a crit. To get your focus modded Attack off you would need to get a focus from another source or spend a force token... both of which seem pretty doable though.

8 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

It seemed like the X-Wing got a much needed buff, but the TIE were pretty much the same, same weak *** 2 red dice that pushed little damage through.

4 minutes ago, CheesyGC said:

Sorry, haven't had a chance to watch this yet. How are barrel rolls simplified?

Only 3 possible positions for each side. All the way forward, in the middle, or all the way back. There is a line running through the middle of the template that you have to lineup with the line on the new bases.

They wanted to bring it in line with boost which is locked into its reposition mechanic. I'm a bit skeptical about it though, I liked being able to manipulate exactly where you wanted the barrel roll to end up.

Edited by Jo Jo

16 minutes ago, JLank said:

To clarify- proton torps change a hit to a crit now in addition to keeping target locks. A big improvement but not quite as scary as turning an eyeball to a crit. To get your focus modded Attack off you would need to get a focus from another source or spend a force token... both of which seem pretty doable though.

It requires spending another charge to do flip a hit to a crit (you have 2 charges). For a ship like the X-Wing, that would be both your torps. Y-Wings have the reload action, however, to recover charges. I assume some other ordnance carriers would as well.

Edit: NM misread that.

Edited by kris40k

I really liked the "PTL"-like mechanic that they introduced.  Yes, you can do 2 specific actions and the 2nd one will earn you a stress, but not all ships can do any combo of actions.

So some ships will have boost, other barrel roll, some will have both, but only a few of them may be able to chain both and truly be arc dodgers.  Of those arc dodgers, I'm willing to bet that they will not be able to chain focus and target lock, so you end up with a great arc dodger that cannot (easily) one shot kill a target.  Again, cool stuff.

2 minutes ago, kris40k said:

It requires spending another charge to do flip a hit to a crit (you have 2 charges). For a ship like the X-Wing, that would be both your torps. Y-Wings have the reload action, however, to recover charges. I assume some other ordnance carriers would as well.

That is incorrect. It takes one charge to use and the hit to crit is the action of the torpedo, the period is after spend a charge and the Hit->Crit is a new sentence. They also said the torpedo icon means no range bonus on the defense dice.

8 minutes ago, Cusm said:

It seemed like the X-Wing got a much needed buff, but the TIE were pretty much the same, same weak *** 2 red dice that pushed little damage through.

They were equipped with a new version of crack shot where the defender rolls one less green die if they're within the bullseye arc.