Sign in to follow this  
Firespray-32

2.0 "Aces" For Ships That Never Had Them?

I've noticed throughout the 2.0 coverage that the standard number of named pilots appears to have doubled. The old standard of two with the odd three has become four with the odd six.

• The fully spoiled T-65 blister has four named pilots in it (Biggs Darklighter, Wedge Antilles, Thane Kyrell, Garven Dreis).
  • There are four spoiled TIE/x1 pilots (Zertik Strom, Ved Folso, Maarek Steele, Darth Vader). Unless the Conversion Pack contains TIE/x1 pilots the blister does not then this is down from the previous eight or so pilots.
  • There are four spoiled Firespray-31 pilots (Krassis Trelix, Khoska Frost, Boba Fett). This is up from the previous three per faction.
  • There are five spoiled TIE fighter pilots in the Conversion Kit (Howlrunner, Mauler Mithel, Gideon Hask, Del Meeko, "Scourge" Stuku) and a sixth (presumably Wampa based on the art) appears in the fan. This doesn't include the Core Set TIEs.
  • The Y-wing, which previously had two named pilots per faction, has gone up to at least three (addition of Norra Wexley) and based on the format of the blisters has very likely gained a fourth.

Based on them adding new named pilots to ships that already had a plethora of them in 1.0 (TIE advanced x1 gains Ved Folso for example) I think it's safe to assume they're not converting over all of the old pilots. Tarn Mison, Juno Eclipse, Winged Gundark and Kath Scarlet are probably out for now. The reuse of Dark Curse's art for Iden Versio further supports this.

This leads me to wonder - if four is the new standard does this mean ships that previously only had two named pilots going up to four? Are we getting new TIE phantoms and E-wings?

Has TIE punisher Aces finally come?

Edited by Firespray-32

To partially answer your question, FFG has already stated that 1.0 pilots will be included in the Expansions and Conversions but they might have also mentioned that the Expansions may come with more pilots for a ship than conversion kits. So I think that Conversions have pilot cards that have already been released per faction, including the ones for small ships released with Epics, but the Expansions will have more new pilots like the 2.0 Core set does

4 minutes ago, Firespray-32 said:

They've also said the new blisters don't contain any cards the conversion kits don't.

I just hope the conversion only has 1 of this upgrade but the blister has 2.

4 minutes ago, Cusm said:

I just hope the conversion only has 1 of this upgrade but the blister has 2.

Right now, the only thing we KNOW is how many Maneuver dials per ship is contained in each conversion kit... Anything beyond that can change between now and September.

12 minutes ago, DoubleOdd said:

To partially answer your question, FFG has already stated that 1.0 pilots will be included in the Expansions and Conversions

Not necessarily, in the Bell of Lost Souls interview they say that not all the pilots for the overpopulated ships will make it in 2nd Ed.

24 minutes ago, DoubleOdd said:

You forgot Iden Versio as one of the TIE/ln pilots... Saw her card on one of the Covenant vids on 2.0...

I just finished inferno squad and was excited to see her. I like the addition as well. 

I think there will be more thematic fluffy pilots in expansions that were not included for one reason or another in v 1. 

I am in no way saying there wasn’t any in v 1 just more. 

13 minutes ago, __underscore__ said:

Not necessarily, in the Bell of Lost Souls interview they say that not all the pilots for the overpopulated ships will make it in 2nd Ed.

I think this is a step in the right direction. There was no need for half the pilots at least. I'm still hoping that they learned from Armada and Legion and will push for more varied and balanced squads.