SDCC

X-Wing 2.0 Positivity Thread

"Be the change you want to see".

So here we are. A thread purely about the positive aspects of X-Wing 2.0.

To start :-

• New sculpts!
  • Turrets seems far more reasonable.
  • Possibly less plastic in the packaging.
  • The HWK will fixed! That's a guess but surely?!

Have at it guys ?

1 minute ago, Tailsgod said:

Honestly the best part of new Xwing is the accessibility to color blind players lol

sorry just really like when designers think of that stuff

I'm not, but it's a great thing to include more people!

So much to be pleased with, to be honest.

1: It all looks really nice.  There's a lot more room for flavour text and artwork, and it's all super pretty.

2: New sculpts.  The only new ship I'm planning on buying is that Y Wing, because I currently only have one and look how pretty.

3: A collation of a lot of incremental upgrades to 1.0 into a new system.  Mobile arc turrets, red actions and chained actions, compressed pilot skill, different values for front and rear arcs, force abilities and charge abilities, etc etc etc.  All of these feel like they will combine to make 2.0 a genuinely better game from a mechanical perspective.

4: Central costing.  One of the most difficult things I found with 1e was the reluctance to just change costs.  It's the easiest way to tweak balance, and now it's part and parcel of 2.0.

5: Generous conversion kits.  They in no way had to make conversion kits at all, and these seem very generous to me.

6: Accessibility.  I love that they thought of it.

7: Ground up rebalancing of the whole game.  No more not playing certain ships because they're radically overcosted.

8: Much less defensive stacking will lead to faster gameplay and point fortressing being much less viable a strategy.

9: Medium bases.  The game has been crying out for them with a lot of recent releases.

I could go on and on.  I'm really, really pleased with this.

Edited by thespaceinvader

I mainly like the fact that the game can be properly rebalanced without physical releases. This means:

- Hopefully hugely improved diversity in builds, with endless viable lists, rather than the handful flavor-of-the-wave stuff

- Reduced bloat with the Extinction of bolted-on "fix" cards. This also means you are no longer forced to buy an aces pack just to get your old ships to the table. 

- In fact, this deserves its own bullet point: love it that old ships will be brought back into the fray! HWK, B-Wing, Punisher, anything can become a viable alternative within its own niche. New maneuvers and actions can also be retrofitted into these without the need for extra cards. 

- General refocusing on positioning and dogfighting rather than cheesy listbuilding. 

- Lots of design space now open with the inclusion of the online system. I'm eagerly anticipating the addition of missions to the app, and the eventual release of a single-player/ co-op campaign. 

Also, we get gorgeous new sculpts with moving bits, but most of all, we don't need to rebuy every ship in our collection. I believe this was handled in the best possible way, so far. 

Just a single missed opportunity, imo: pilot cards should have a picture of the pilot his/herself and a short bio on the back. That would be amazing. 

Edited by takfar

8 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

So far for me, everything mechanically changed is positive, the only real downside being conversion cost and we can ease into that.

Huge props to conversion kits and the new wave releases being crossover releases.

Agreed. Hopefully balance will be brought back to the Force, erm, XW.

The cost of the conv kits and number of contents plus it looks like I'll need ANOTHER conv kit for my Epic ships is the only downside but it is a big one.

I know this is only based on yesterday's post and announcement.  So there's a lot to learn.

But having said that there's so much that may bring me back into this game.

• Universal change in turrets
  • Quick Builds
  • Change in Pilot Skill
  • Hopefully, please, please, please, a PDF for upgrades so I don't have to use the app.
  • No points on the cards
  • PDFs of what upgrades and points should be on ships.  Easy to change meta
  • Did I mention Quick Builds
  • Adding the force
  • Better Star Wars feel
  • By not having upgrades on cards we can build any design we want in casual play. i.e. real bombers, missile boats and freighters (hopefully)
  • I can keep and use my current ships, I have too many
  • They are going to come out with v2 for Epic ships too.

This is not a negative, just a worry.  It may still be a lot of upgrades on each ship, ? let's hope they say the growing complexity of the current game and don't repeat it.

11 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:
  • Hopefully, please, please, please, a PDF for upgrades so I don't have to use the app.
  • ?PDFs of what upgrades and points should be on ships.  Easy to change meta

They've pretty firmly stated that there will be smartphone apps, a browser based version, and downloadable PDF support for all of the listbuilding information, both slots and point costs.

35 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

But having said that there's so much that may bring me back into this game.

• Quick Builds

This is not a negative, just a worry.  It may still be a lot of upgrades on each ship, ? let's hope they say the growing complexity of the current game and don't repeat it.

The same for me!!! :-D

I love the addition of threat level play by the way, I know so many players that are just not capable of putting together a half-competent list and as a consequence aren't able to enjoy the game against experienced players. The new player experience is just abysmal in that way. This on the other hand is great, familiarises them with certain upgrades, within-ship synergies etc, while restricting their opponents to more basic ships they can understand.

- Quick Builds, great for friends and family that don't know this like I do

- Them new sculpts! I finally got myself a 1e Y-Wing and now I see that sweet 2e sculpt that I might get

- Accessibility

-Turret changes. Shadowcaster was one of my favorites in 1e

I want to know how bombs work in 2e, but so far I'm excited!

I am excited by the changes, I'm not crazy that I will have to drop $190+ to continue to play a game I own. I really hope they address the HWK, I would love to see a new larger model of it!! I hope they do not make us re-buy the ships we own to get an upgrade or pilot card, this will be the thing that decides if I go 2.0.

Just now, Stealthcmc1974 said:

- Quick Builds, great for friends and family that don't know this like I do

I know, right? I can just show a new player my collection for a faction, have them pick 4-ish ships they like and the prebuilds that appeal to them and then  build up basic ships of the other faction to match them. Feels like list-building, gives them choice, introduces them to more andvanced concepts gradually - I love it! The new player experience has really been suffering, and this is an important step to make it better.

5 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I know, right? I can just show a new player my collection for a faction, have them pick 4-ish ships they like and the prebuilds that appeal to them and then  build up basic ships of the other faction to match them. Feels like list-building, gives them choice, introduces them to more andvanced concepts gradually - I love it! The new player experience has really been suffering, and this is an important step to make it better.

It looks cracking.

Pick a few ships out with matching threat levels and start playing. Hopefully will be able to show family and friends it with this system.

1 hour ago, Hawkstrike said:

So far for me, everything mechanically changed is positive, the only real downside being conversion cost and we can ease into that.

Huge props to conversion kits and the new wave releases being crossover releases.

After a lot of reading this is a BIG positive. 

Also like uniform size of cards.

Medium ship bases to help differentiate. 

Upgrades seem to have built in use limitations or usage which I think will make things more interesting. You’ll have to think about if you really want to use this. Which will add another layer of strategy. 

Loving the revitalization of older ships.

I really dig the baked in action chains! Yeah, it's a weakened PTL, but still!

While I never had issue with turrets, I dig the new system!

I don't need to rebuy ships! (I mean, I will! I wanna replace my old T-65 and Y-Wing models asap!)

The conversion kits! I don't have to wait 13 waves to update everything!

The excitement from my FGS! The Facebook group has already set up a trade thread so everyone can get what they want from each other without buying a second kit where 98% of it won't be used.