Sign in to follow this  
Lord Ashram

This might not be nice to say, but...

2 minutes ago, Lord Ashram said:

... I am having a slightly hard time feeling for players who bought what everyone, including them, knew at the time was a completely over the top number of ships... you know, like the type where they would gleefully post photos of 120+ ships and go on about their ten X-Wings or twelve TIE fighters or five Falcons... spending thousands along the way... 

... who are now mad they have to either a) accept not spending enough money to have the dials and cards for each and every ship, even though you will almost never use them all at once, or b) have to spend a fraction of their original investment to convert over.

I mean... I get it... but I don’t feel THAT bad.

Someone's saying what I've been thinking.

Yup.

I'm *slightly* in that boat myself.  I think it would have solved a lot of these problems if the conversion kits came with 3 of most ships instead of 2, since that's generally, roughly a squad's worth.  I imagine that's why FFG chose 2, enough to seem fairly reasonable, but just few enough that a lot of people will want two kits (same with the 4 Z-95s and TIE Fighters).  Can't complain too much though.

It's all the new sleeves for the upgrade cards that's gonna cost!

3 minutes ago, Lord Ashram said:

... I am having a slightly hard time feeling for players who bought what everyone, including them, knew at the time was a completely over the top number of ships... you know, like the type where they would gleefully post photos of 120+ ships and go on about their ten X-Wings or twelve TIE fighters or five Falcons... spending thousands along the way... 

... who are now mad they have to either a) accept not spending enough money to have the dials and cards for each and every ship, even though you will almost never use them all at once, or b) have to spend a fraction of their original investment to convert over.

I mean... I get it... but I don’t feel THAT bad.

This.

I’m 100% a HWK fanboy, I have 5 (Yes, 5!) of them, and when I heard of the conversion kits I knew I’d have to get multiple kits to cover my HWKs. So you know exactly what I’ll do? 

I’ll get one kit, convert 2 of my babies, and then go from there. :)

7 minutes ago, Innese said:

This.

I’m 100% a HWK fanboy, I have 5 (Yes, 5!) of them, and when I heard of the conversion kits I knew I’d have to get multiple kits to cover my HWKs. So you know exactly what I’ll do? 

I’ll get one kit, convert 2 of my babies, and then go from there. :)

I don't have any HWKs, so when I get my conversion kit, that stuff's going on eBay.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.   I'm also sure there will also be people who buy conversion kits for the sole purpose of breaking them up to sell on eBay.

So keep that in mind, you might not need multiple kits just to cover that.

I have about 25 rebel ships, and 25 empire, and some of each of those are new trilogy stuff.  So I will have several dials left over, and there are only a couple of ships I won't have enough gear for with one box.  Heck, if I do this right, and demand is what I think it is, my kits may pay for themselves.  :)

Edited by direweasel

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

For me, the only one I don't quite get is the choice ot only have two defenders in the imp kit.  A LOT of people have 3 of those.

Yeah, I just said there were a few ships I won't have enough for in one box...that's one of them =P

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

For me, the only one I don't quite get is the choice ot only have two defenders in the imp kit.  A LOT of people have 3 of those.

Or 5 for some reason...

9 minutes ago, direweasel said:

I don't have any HWKs, so when I get my conversion kit, that stuff's going on eBay.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.   I'm also sure there will also be people who buy conversion kits for the sole purpose of breaking them up to sell on eBay.

So keep that in mind, you might not need multiple kits just to cover that.

I have about 25 rebel ships, and 25 empire, and some of each of those are new trilogy stuff.  So I will have several dials left over, and there are only a couple of ships I won't have enough gear for with one box.  Heck, if I do this right, and demand is what I think it is, my kits may pay for themselves.  :)

Oh trust me I’ve already been poking people in my local group to propose possible trades for HWK stuff. :)

I just see all these people talking about how many kits they'll have to buy.  I'm betting that MOST of them won't have to spend nearly as much as they think they will, as long as they're at least a little smart about it.  Either buy fewer kits than you think you'll need, and sell/trade for what you need, or buy MORE kits than you need, and sell/trade your leftovers to recoup some of the costs.

Just now, mazz0 said:

THAT'S the one you don't quite get?  Not the 3 Decimators?

I have my theories on that.  Like, they're going to make them fit 3 to a list :D

But no, I suspect that one is probably down to having the tooling set up for a certain proportion of small/large/medium bases and simply not having enough large base ships in the empire faction to fill it out.  Cutting dies are EXPENSIVE.

Realistically, it doesn't take more than one kit to upgrade each faction to a completely playable level immediately. The only people that realistically need more than one of each are the whackos that bought 5 HWKs, and their best bet is probably to buy a second rebel kit, and trade/swap/sell all the extra stuff from that for fun and profit. I've got a collection that has a retail value of around $2k (/shame), and I can't see a need for more than one of each faction kit and a starter.

2 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Not all of us stuck slavishly to the 100/6 meta. Not all of us wanted one of everything from every new wave.

A lot of us liked to play Epic games, and games even larger than that where you could happily run 12 TIE Fighters or 10 X Wings.

Sure, but epic games are typically not OP supported event games. I can't imagine a world where proxies aren't ok in an epic environment.

1 minute ago, JasonCole said:

Sure, but epic games are typically not OP supported event games. I can't imagine a world where proxies aren't ok in an epic environment.

12 TIE-Fighters or 10 X-wings are literally out of any OP scope, because 8 ships is the maximum you can use in epic. And we get 8 conversions for TIE-Fighters most likely with the epic conversion kits. ?

Just now, JasonCole said:

It's harder to proxy dials and baseplates. Pilot cards and upgrade cards are easy, but getting my hands on all those dials is going to be headache.

Realistically I'm waiting until 2.0 is actually released and I can see what options are available and what we REALLY need to play before I decide how to proceed, but at this stage I'm thinking third party lasercut baseplates/dials and printed pilot/upgrade cards.

I'm slightly ocd and ended up getting 3 of most ships that i bothered collecting, mainly because of wanting the Imperial Aces Pack and the Tie Interceptor pack for all the cards and then wanting at least 3 of the others for symetry. (the same sort of happened with Tie Fighters from The boxset, Gozanti and stand alone Tie and then the x-wing from the transport, box set and stand alone blister..

as such I have 5 Tie Fighters, 3 x-wings, 3 interceptors etc etc  (i lost interest after wave 5 to some extent mainly as i was a huge fan of the X-wing & TIE Fighter Games and mainly care about those ships and generally dont have anything after this wave so i don't have a stupid amount of ships) but that still means i need two kits.

It definitely feels that someone took a decision to deliberately choose to limit a number of the ships in the conversion kits to 2 rather than 3 in order to increase sales.

Also how are huge ships converted?

Edited by JCrudge

1 minute ago, JCrudge said:

It definitely feels that someone took a decision to deliberately chose to limit a number of the ships in the conversion kits to 2 rather than 3 in order to increase sales.

Two is easier to split up between two players than three and most ace packs just add one ship to the one you already have. At if you buy one of everything. The ships which we get multiples have more included (TIEs, Z-95s, etc) 
Though it certainly looks like that there will be more TIEs and X-Wings in the epic conversion kits. 

I guess I'm one of those that will need, at least, two of each conversion kit.  Yes, my kit is mostly aimed at Epic play.  But even so I'm not complaining.  There was talk that what FFG is doing would never happen, or if X-Wing 2.0 came out FFG would never sell cards and cardboard only, well they are. ?

Like the posts above, it isn't cheap, but it is less that buying new ships.  Whether you have 4 TIE Fighters or 12 TIE Fighters, it is still cheaper.