Sign in to follow this  
Vontoothskie

If you dont have a smartphone you can no longer play

1 minute ago, 1977Valarian said:

If you don’t have a smart phone you have other issues and should not be playing this game and instead invest in your future. It is a necessity in the modern world. The Neanderthals, despite being faster and stronger, were beat because we built a better spear throwing device. Yes, a **** device....Evolve. 

That is such bs. Instead of trolling we should label this as Neanderthalimg. **** erudite. This in not Witness we’re you are playing x-wing with the Amish to hide your secret identity. Such a straw man post as the poster has a smart phone and/or access to the internet habinhnposted...hmmm, having posted successfully no less on the the **** internet.   

Tying your self worth to a phone someone else invented isn't healthy.  you should seriously consider seeing a therapist. You did not evolve the moment your parents handed you a phone, and you aren't better than someone who doesn't have one. your thinking here is seriously unhinged

As to having/owning a phone, many of us do have one, myself included. My phone is for work and gps. I play board games so that I can spend some time away from the internet, computer games and screens. I will not install an app on my phone that takes my non-digital play time and digitizes it. it completely ruins the appeal of playing a physical game in the real world. 

1 minute ago, Jadotch said:

Horrible theme for Star Wars. The opening lines are literally “A long long time ago ...”

Not to derail the conversation... but it really isn't the theme of the movie. 

It is the statement of the villain. It is pretty much the antithesis of the new trilogy. 

1 hour ago, PastrySandwich said:

It's 2018, if you don't have a smartphone you are literally a irrelevant demographic. 

You've been holding that phone to your ear too much. The brain damage is already setting in.

A good rule to make sure you don't turn into an enslaved drooling moron is to not have a phone unless you have a job or have a use for it. Who honestly wants everyone to have constant access to you wherever you go? Seems like a manic need for self worth through a device .

Edited by Arthur Volts

3 minutes ago, Arthur Volts said:

You've been holding that phone to your ear too much. The brain damage is already setting in.

A good rule to make sure you don't turn into an enslaved drooling moron is to not have a phone unless you have a job or have a use for it. Who honestly wants everyone to have constant access to you wherever you go? Seems like a manic need for self worth through a device .

Do you think having a smart phone somehow makes you more contactable than having a flip phone?

Also, smartphones have this awesome setting, airplane mode, so that NO ONE can ever contact you.  However, in an emergency you can go to regular mode and make a call, potentially saving you from dying alone in a ditch somewhere...

55 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

To be fair, that's an idiotic statement.

you know only 40% of Americans have a smartphone, right?   in other countries its much lower. The largest group that dont have smartphones are children who coincidentally are a big market for this game.  also, its a board game. the point is physical components.

everything in this game is done better in a digital format, **** real time space combat from a first person view has been around 25 years. the only point of this game is that its real components you can touch. if it goes digital, why not just play vassal?

In 2017 Americans watch more video content on their smartphones than on their televisions.

Also not sure where you get your stats... " Roughly three-quarters of Americans (77%) now own a smartphone"  Quoted from http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/12/evolution-of-technology/

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to decide to purchase or not purchase a smartphone but I'd also disagree with children being the ideal customer  profile for this game. At $15 (now $20) per ship on average at minimum, this game can add up to a sizable investment fairly quickly. I'd say it targets a 25+ age demographic. And even then, kids have phones. My 10 year old sister was the last kid out of all her friends to get a smartphone in the 4th grade.

As for physical components, those are all still there. The biggest solution the app provides is the ability to no longer require that points be printed on the physical cards (which are all still provided with expansions and conversion kits). Now points can be changed much quicker to balance the game without confusion since it's all centrally stored and referenced using an app.

Don't have the app? Library? Use a friend's phone? Do you have internet? All in all, I don't think the guy's (or girl's) comment was an "idiotic statement".

I don't have a smartphone - in fact, I don't have any phone since I lost the button phone I was using (about two months ago)(it was also my first phone, which I had had for just under a year).

I don't see that that will be a problem, though, as although I prefer to build squads in my head (not necessarily possible anymore), web based squad builders are my main method of squad building.

I haven't been playing much recently, I've played about two games this year, but 2.0 is unlikely to fix that, since it is a lack of time, rather than a dislike of the game that has caused my absence.

10 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I don't get the angry reactions to this. Who doesn't have a smartphone these days?!

I'm not angry, I'm just amused reading through this thread.

I don't have a phone because I don't find I need one.  Same reason why I don't use social media (which in turn was why it took me  nearly a year to decide whether or not to get an FFG account).

Will the app be VR capable? If not, that will be a big problem for me as after watching Steven Spielberg's excellent film Ready Player One (still in theatres!!) I have permanently grafted my HTC Vive VR-Capable headset directly to my face and can no longer remove it to look at other devices. Hopefully FFG will be forward thinking enough to accommodate me and create an indepth VR listbuilding experience.

2 hours ago, 1977Valarian said:

If you don’t have a smart phone you have other issues and should not be playing this game and instead invest in your future. It is a necessity in the modern world. The Neanderthals, despite being faster and stronger, were beat because we built a better spear throwing device. Yes, a **** device....Evolve. 

That is such bs. Instead of trolling we should label this as Neanderthalimg. **** erudite. This in not Witness we’re you are playing x-wing with the Amish to hide your secret identity. Such a straw man post as the poster has a smart phone and/or access to the internet habinhnposted...hmmm, having posted successfully no less on the the **** internet.   

^ You're right, this is BS 

2 hours ago, Stoneface said:

There's some of us that do not have our phones surgically implanted. Requiring one is complete and utter BS.

You are literally posting this from a computer (or smart phone).

Use the web app on your computer and print out. Just like that you don't need a smart phone and thus entire thread has become pointless.

2 hours ago, Stoneface said:

There's some of us that do not have our phones surgically implanted. Requiring one is complete and utter BS.

You are literally posting this from a computer (or smart phone).

Use the web app on your computer and print out. Just like that you don't need a smart phone and thus entire thread has become pointless.

It may be brutal, but ffg probably assumed that 9x%  of their playerbase has access to computer/smartphone. And looking at the cost of the game and its target, its a right assumption. This app/web page is here for the sake of game balancing and while they will lose some individuals who don't even have PC (and most jobs nowadays pretty much requires one, school does as well with all the projects) they will also gain new players in their place interested in modern approach of 2.0. Also, for everyone complaining here - how the **** are you even writing here? You need a computer to do this. And computer will be enough to build lists... As for "non-digital time argument" - listbuilding is a  step before playing the actual game, you're just preparing for it using the device. It's still a board game, it's just now it will be able for better rebalancing. The only real thing i'm worried about is if the app will be avaiable in other languages for people using polish or other version of the game.

Not trying to disagree with anyone but you can probably buy a phone for cheaper then these new 2.0 packs so if you don't have a smartphone buy one as a investment for Star Wars X wing, and don't say "what if I can't afford one" coz if ur spending over $50 on a game over time you will be able to save up for a cheap little phone.

7 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

So if you either don't own a smartphone or aren't interested in installing 3rd party programs on your device, you cant play x-wing 2.0.  AM I reading this right?

No you are reading this wrong. Paper sheets with point lists and PC/Mac is supported + 3rd party list builders are still a thing. 

#fake news.

Seriously, can people stop making threads with overdramatic and incorrect titles.

There will be a squad builder app for phones.

There will be a squad builder app for static computers.

There will be a web app you can use in your browser.

There will be PDFs of the costs and upgrade slots available for download.

You will not need ANY of these at the table, as long as you have cards or a printer.

TL;DR? If you're reading this thread you will be able to play the game in basically the same manner as you already do.

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

To be fair, that's an idiotic statement.

you know only 40% of Americans have a smartphone, right?   in other countries its much lower. The largest group that dont have smartphones are children who coincidentally are a big market for this game.  also, its a board game. the point is physical components.

I highly doubted that statistic when I knew that in my native Netherlands 98% of people aged 12-45 have a smartphone. I couldn't find as detailed information on the US, but pew research states that as of this January 94% of US citizens age 18-29 has a smartphone, and 89% of 30 to 49 year olds. Source: http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

It is likely that the small percentage of people who do not own a smartphone, do not have the disposable income to spend on a miniatures game. FFG can safely ignore this demographic.

Let's get our facts straight in this day and age people. That will make discussion more factual and civil, as there will be less need to call something "idiotic".

10 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

So if you either don't own a smartphone or aren't interested in installing 3rd party programs on your device, you cant play x-wing 2.0.  AM I reading this right?

I'd be astonished if there isn't a browser version of it and if there isn't downloadable PDFs are confirmed.

8 hours ago, 1977Valarian said:

If you don’t have a smart phone you have other issues and should not be playing this game and instead invest in your future.

I don't want to pay a lot of money for something I don't like and won't use.  In your mind, I have an "issue"?