Sign in to follow this  
Vontoothskie

If you dont have a smartphone you can no longer play

They have stated that they are publishing the point list as a downloadable PDF.  I assume that must include the list of what upgrades are possible for which pilots, or maybe that's in the expansions somehow - but they seem to acknowledge there needs to be a physical-copy-version of the build information.

Supposedly, there will also be a web app (webpage) thing that is also accessible, very like the current third-party squad builders.

I'm kind of concerned that the upgrade slots are going to be part of the app. I'll have to see how it goes. Makes me wonder why they didn't put everything on the app. They could change stats and crew abilities as well, if they needed tweaking.

Fear not! They are including a newer simpler list building mechanic. Quick builds! You choose a threat level and then build a list to it. This here shows a threat three Luke and a threat two red squadron vet.

swz01_a1_quick-build.png

these are physical cards so no need for an app or web print out to play. 

46 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

Fear not! They are including a newer simpler list building mechanic. Quick builds! You choose a threat level and then build a list to it. This here shows a threat three Luke and a threat two red squadron vet.

swz01_a1_quick-build.png

This part has me a bit confused.  What is being pictured here?  It looks like a single card, called "T-65 x-wing", with an upper and lower panel.    If I take this card, is the idea that I get two x-wings, one piloted by luke and one piloted by red-squadron veteran?  For a total of 5 threat? Why are they combined on one card? Or am I supposed to only pick one of the panels?  Or are the two highlighted upper and lower panels actually separate physical half-sized cards that get overlayed on top of a T-65 x-wing card? 

Even though I don't quite understand what's happening here, I love the quick build idea.   Before whenever I would propose a game of x-wing, my opponent would be saying things like "...but I don't have a squad".  Now there's no excuse!  Let's just play!  Plus I have a 2 year old.  With quick builds I might actually be able to play with her pretty soon!   Well not that soon.  But sooner!

Also, quick builds remind me a bit of the star wars LCG.  Instead of picking out individual cards when assembling your deck, you pick out "objective sets" of six cards.  These objective sets might contain a mix of good and bad cards.  (bad meaning less than optimal).  I like that simplified meta. 

It sounds like they're targeting quick builds at newbies, but I think it's an interesting format on its own even for veteran players if the threat level is high enough and the number of quickbuild cards is large and varied enough.  e.g. the quickbuild would be a great way to do epic games (or at least epic game alternative).  Instead of trying to optimize at the individual upgrade level for 1000 points or whatever the new epic would be, you can go with a much simpler quick build and still have a lot of options and combinations based on 30 threat or whatever.  

Well, my phone rides the short bus, so it won't be doing this. I can still do it on my computer and print it out, which is what I already do. Problem? not really.

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

So if you either don't own a smartphone or aren't interested in installing 3rd party programs on your device, you cant play x-wing 2.0.  AM I reading this right?

It's 2018, if you don't have a smartphone you are literally a irrelevant demographic. 

1 hour ago, TylerTT said:

swz01_a1_quick-build.png

I'd be happier with this mechanic if it allowed for variant builds of the same pilot.

IE., I want to bring Luke Skywalker, but the TO is running a 'threat 2' event, what sort of Luke build would work as 'threat 2' without having to jump down to a generic pilot?

20 minutes ago, PastrySandwich said:

It's 2018, if you don't have a smartphone you are literally a irrelevant demographic. 

You're an irrelevant demographic. No seriously, this "Oh you don't have this? you must be out of touch". Well, you can take that and your smartphone

MaDAzOZ.gif

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

To be fair, refusing to install third party apps on your phone or not having a smartphone does make you a pretty fringe-dwelling individual. These days it's one step away from wearing a tinfoil hat so the secret police can't read your mind.

To be fair, that's an idiotic statement.

you know only 40% of Americans have a smartphone, right?   in other countries its much lower. The largest group that dont have smartphones are children who coincidentally are a big market for this game.  also, its a board game. the point is physical components.

everything in this game is done better in a digital format, **** real time space combat from a first person view has been around 25 years. the only point of this game is that its real components you can touch. if it goes digital, why not just play vassal?

8 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

you know only 40% of Americans have a smartphone, right?   in other countries its much lower

And that 60% that does not own a smart phone is much, MUCH less likely to invest in a table top game that requires the amount of spend this one requires.

But even for those that do, there are answers which have already been provided. This is a non issue and the discussion should be over.

4 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

To be fair, refusing to install third party apps on your phone or not having a smartphone does make you a pretty fringe-dwelling individual. These days it's one step away from wearing a tinfoil hat so the secret police can't read your mind.

There's some of us that do not have our phones surgically implanted. Requiring one is complete and utter BS.

Edited by Stoneface
Auto correct