Sign in to follow this  
Tailsgod

My major complaint with 2.0

I love EVERYTHING about 2.0 except the upgrades and numbers being online only. Like I get why they are doing that for the tournament players. I also get why they have the alternative for the casual players. But then there are the midtier players who enjoy squad building but don't want to have to download an app to get the information. I have a fiance who loves to play with me as well as friends and they don't want to go out of their way to find a computer to build squads on their own. This is also kinda cutting the legs out from the xwing players who may not be able to have a smartphone or easy access to a computer, as well as younger gamers who might not have those things on them.
Idk I'm still gonna play and get the game but I fear that this will backfire more on FFG than help. I feel even if they just made a simpler squad building for non tournament levels would go a long way.
I don't want to need to download extra things to be able to play my board game. 

I don't know maybe I'm in the minority on this one 

I confess I do think I'll miss the upgrade slots at least not being on the ship cards.  I mean, where did that ever cause a major problem for FFG?  The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is the multiple nerf passes on the Jumpmaster, but most of us tended to agree that it would have been easier to just change its point cost rather than do literally EVERYTHING but that...except FFG never changed point costs before, and now they can.

The missing upgrade slots on the ship cards...I dunno.  I mean, I guess the expansions do come with some pre-set builds, so for the truly casual players, you aren't left out in the cold, but...hmmmm.

Definitely the one thing I really don't care for.

It you folks don’t have access to the smart phone, put down x-won’t and solve your first things first. Being a lazy hippy was cool in the 90s when tech still sucked, but is Neanderthal now. Evolve. I am not being mean, but telling you the cold hard realities of life. Sometimes you need to shave, wear a suit, etc. Neing part of the future instead of complaining about it is soooo passé. 

4 hours ago, Tailsgod said:

I love EVERYTHING about 2.0 except the upgrades and numbers being online only. Like I get why they are doing that for the tournament players. I also get why they have the alternative for the casual players. But then there are the midtier players who enjoy squad building but don't want to have to download an app to get the information. I have a fiance who loves to play with me as well as friends and they don't want to go out of their way to find a computer to build squads on their own. This is also kinda cutting the legs out from the xwing players who may not be able to have a smartphone or easy access to a computer, as well as younger gamers who might not have those things on them.
Idk I'm still gonna play and get the game but I fear that this will backfire more on FFG than help. I feel even if they just made a simpler squad building for non tournament levels would go a long way.
I don't want to need to download extra things to be able to play my board game. 

I don't know maybe I'm in the minority on this one 

Now way does having to have an app backfire. The vast majority of players will have a phone or tablet of some kind. And if you don't, its easy enough to get a cheap tablet for $50 or so that will do the job.

And if its really squeezing you, I'm sure the various 3rd party free army builders will be more than happy to step in with the content for free just like they do now.

4 hours ago, Sergovan said:

I am probably one of the few that has disabled data on my phone so that apps don't turn it on to upgrade whenever they want. Will the app builder require data or will it be a download and keep up to date kind of tool? That's what I want to know.

If its anything like Privateer Press's app, it would only use data while updating.

4 hours ago, xanderf said:

I confess I do think I'll miss the upgrade slots at least not being on the ship cards.  I mean, where did that ever cause a major problem for FFG?

If I have to guess, it's more about futureproofing and to support alternative play/mission based formats with some slots added (or removed) from ships just for this event. (Lets say to allow TIE Fighter to carry a missile just for this special mission. OR no ordnance in the event at all etc)

3 minutes ago, 1977Valarian said:

It you folks don’t have access to the smart phone, put down x-won’t and solve your first things first. Being a lazy hippy was cool in the 90s when tech still sucked, but is Neanderthal now. Evolve. I am not being mean, but telling you the cold hard realities of life. Sometimes you need to shave, wear a suit, etc. Neing part of the future instead of complaining about it is soooo passé. 

You really need to go to a therapist. owning a smartphone does not make you the ubermengscht or whatever you're equating it with.  Purchasing a smartphone is not an obligation, and in some cases not a good choice. if you do choose to purchase a smartphone, you certainly have the right to choose what you use it for. 

Also, evolution works both ways. if you learned to write without spellcheck for example more of your posts might be legible, and in many ways its been shown that smartphones are actually damaging peoples ability to make decisions and think critically, nevermind the more immediate societal implications.  FYI if you were around in the 90s, smart phones did not exist. you might be thinking of a standard cellular phone, but those were largely the playthings of the upper class or people who traveled for work until 1999 or so

5 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

Now way does having to have an app backfire. The vast majority of players will have a phone or tablet of some kind. And if you don't, its easy enough to get a cheap tablet for $50 or so that will do the job.

And if its really squeezing you, I'm sure the various 3rd party free army builders will be more than happy to step in with the content for free just like they do now.

i don't understand your point at all.  are you saying that players should have to buy a computer to play a board game?   if they dont have a computer already, maybe there is a reason

4 hours ago, xanderf said:

I mean, where did that ever cause a major problem for FFG?  The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is the multiple nerf passes on the Jumpmaster,

Y-Wings, X-Wings, A-Wings, and TIE Interceptors lacking EPTs. The TIE Adv lacking a System slot. 

Pretty much anything needing "fix" cards to add slots. 

Dear God, the TIE Punisher.

That ships upgrade slots were garbage compared to the other two heavy bombers. Had they had the ability to just "patch" a change to the card via a squad builder, it would have been awesome.

I'm actually excited about what it may turn out like in the new edition.

5 hours ago, Tailsgod said:

This! Totally agree. At least FFG could release a PDF with point costs to print and read offline.

5 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Ships will have a "pre assembled" version with a "threat level" in the box/on the card. Like power level in WH40k. A rough estimate how much a ship in a certain configuration is.

There is nothing I hate more than preassembled lists. If it is top of the meta copy and paste lists, or lists provided by the manufacturer.

I think they are dumb ideas myself.

They mention that some upgrades will cost more or less depending on the pilot you place them.
That is much like MajorJuggler's Community Mod was dealing with upgrade costs, and a lot of people whined at him for doing so. Now FFG does it too, so how about that?
In the worst case, for people that are against having smartphones or laptops (and unlike 1977Valarian says, it's a totally valid choice; I know a few people that have downgraded to a clamcell after years of smartphones only for the peace of mind) there will be ways of printing it all once and use that offline for as long as you wish.

If you want to go to an official tournament, then you need to use the app or website. But that is something that you need to do nowadays too, if only for downloading the latest FAQ document. So active tournament players won't mind this at all. Most use online or app-based squad builders already.

Edited by Azrapse

1 minute ago, Arthur Volts said:

Relying on apps and print outs for your game. Play test it. How about that.

My local store regularly has people playing from squad builder printouts. I've done it myself a few times. I honestly can't recall ever seeing any Epic game at the store that wasn't played using printouts by one or both players. 

Of bigger concern will be the learning curve. When I started it was a handful of abilities and upgrades that came in waves after X many months. It will now be a mountain of options to chug through instantly, to find what I like especially if what I like changed from what it was in 1.0. I still have some ships that I haven't flown in 1.0 yet, I'll get one or two conversion kits and I suddenly will have 80 ships to figure out, plus new rules, actions, mechanics. 

Uggh. I'll have to really work at getting table time to get experience with this new stuff.

33 minutes ago, 1977Valarian said:

[lots of noise]

More and more people are getting rid of smartphones because it negatively affects their focus on their daily lives.
It's not a matter of not having money or being a hippie. It's not people that haven't reached the 21st century. It's people that have already been there, done that, and got sick of it.

5 minutes ago, Sergovan said:

Of bigger concern will be the learning curve. When I started it was a handful of abilities and upgrades that came in waves after X many months. It will now be a mountain of options to chug through instantly, to find what I like especially if what I like changed from what it was in 1.0. I still have some ships that I haven't flown in 1.0 yet, I'll get one or two conversion kits and I suddenly will have 80 ships to figure out, plus new rules, actions, mechanics. 

Uggh. I'll have to really work at getting table time to get experience with this new stuff.

Keep in mind that it looks like A LOT of upgrades are going away entirely. I think that is part of the reason for the change, to reduce the massive card and ability bloat. It will still be a lot, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it will be like relearning all the cards you currently have.

Just now, Forgottenlore said:

Keep in mind that it looks like A LOT of upgrades are going away entirely. I think that is part of the reason for the change, to reduce the massive card and ability bloat. It will still be a lot, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it will be like relearning all the cards you currently have.

Even if it was 1 new card per ship, that's still 40 upgrades and 40 pilots minimum to adjust to right out of the gate. It's doable, but it will take some time.

3 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

I can't tell if you're making a funny or didn't know FFG said they're doing exactly that. 

I didn't know. I watched the stream but it was late in Germany at that moment, the sound quality partially hard to hear and as non-native speaker it was hard at times to hear what was said.  But thanks for the clarification. :)