Sign in to follow this  
Calibri Garamond

Coversion Kits

45 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

3 Decimators is the one bit of weirdness, with core 2 X-wings seems like a reasonable number for this style kit. My guess is either Decis are getting a crazy makeover and rework or it’s a typo. 

Well their getting coordinated and reinforce and points seem to be doubled so yeah. You might need a 4th deci.

Yeah, the conversion kit seems kinda BS to me as someone who started early in the game. I already have 5 X-wings and the price to be able to be able to fly what I already own is over 100 dollars. Add that I have 4 B-wings and 4 Y-wings and I almost have to buy two 50 dollar boxes of cardboard filled mostly with extra material that I don't need. Not to mention my TIE swarm...

I'd really like to be exited about 2.0 but this is making it kind of hard. 

2 hours ago, Swedge said:

was also wonder if one Needs the new Core set. i would assume Yes ...  

This is my main problem with the conversion kits - they should include everything I need to play the game. I can assure you I don't need any more X-Wing or TIE models. :)

1 hour ago, mdl0114 said:

3 Decimators is the one bit of weirdness, with core 2 X-wings seems like a reasonable number for this style kit. My guess is either Decis are getting a crazy makeover and rework or it’s a typo. 

Or it could be a point increase for standard games.

As someone who came late enough to only buy “1 of each” expansion, and then go back and buy a handful of doubles, this is about perfect.

I have one too many tie fighters, one too many xwings, and one too many Auzituck. Otherwise I’ll be great to go!

maybe I’ll trade if there is someone with not enough XYZ and I have too many but doesn’t have all the ties or xwings. 

18 minutes ago, Unremarkable Cardboard Box said:

Yeah, the conversion kit seems kinda BS to me as someone who started early in the game. I already have 5 X-wings and the price to be able to be able to fly what I already own is over 100 dollars. Add that I have 4 B-wings and 4 Y-wings and I almost have to buy two 50 dollar boxes of cardboard filled mostly with extra material that I don't need. Not to mention my TIE swarm...

I just saw this too.  That's way too much for me.  I need at least six conversion kits, which is about $400 CAD.  No way I'm paying that.   But, this is also MSRP.  I'll have to see what they actually end up going for.

26 minutes ago, marcnelsonjr said:

This is my main problem with the conversion kits - they should include everything I need to play the game. I can assure you I don't need any more X-Wing or TIE models. :)

Nah, if the core-set comes with new pilots and/or upgrade-cards most players would have bought is anyway. 

Not really sure that all dials need a replacement, of course the design changed, but if you look at the xwing one, it's pretty much the same with the sfoil added in it (wich sound like a nerf since you have to choice the red turn at the dial phase).

i believe we might not need our 3rd bwing dial and ...

i'm more annoyed by the possibility that they might ask us to buy ships we already have on latter expansions inorder to get the upgrades... if they do, i'll go to my tournaments without the cards, i don't need a 5th starviper for example.

29 minutes ago, period3 said:

I just saw this too.  That's way too much for me.  I need at least six conversion kits, which is about $400 CAD.  No way I'm paying that.   But, this is also MSRP.  I'll have to see what they actually end up going for.

$39.99 each preorder on Miniature Market, a 20% discount with free shipping for orders over $99 in the US. $42.49 on Coolstuffinc, have to wait and see for amazon I think.

Edited by mdl0114

5 minutes ago, Lycia said:

Not really sure that all dials need a replacement, of course the design changed, but if you look at the xwing one, it's pretty much the same with the sfoil added in it (wich sound like a nerf since you have to choice the red turn at the dial phase).

i believe we might not need our 3rd bwing dial and ...

i'm more annoyed by the possibility that they might ask us to buy ships we already have on latter expansions inorder to get the upgrades... if they do, i'll go to my tournaments without the cards, i don't need a 5th starviper for example.

There is a big difference between being able to do a hard 3 and then make it a talon roll compared to just dialing in a talon. A lot of ships seem to be getting more green and getting talon rolls added. 

2 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

$39.99 each preorder on Miniature Market, a 20% discount with free shipping for orders over $99 in the US. $42.49 on Coolstuffinc, have to wait and see for amazon I think.

Still too much, but I'm more likely to get one of each  at that price and maybe try proxies for the rest.  I'm just not sure how to proxy a maneuver dial.  My scissors and glue skills are weak.

4 minutes ago, period3 said:

Still too much, but I'm more likely to get one of each  at that price and maybe try proxies for the rest.  I'm just not sure how to proxy a maneuver dial.  My scissors and glue skills are weak.

Use an app would be my guess, though things like having a card deck for maneuvers the way wings of war did could be a solution for casual home play. Or laminated papers with maneuvers listed and some markers, depending on how many extra dials you want. 

If you want to throw 12 TIEs and a flight of bombers at 12 X-Wings with the new rules you might need to be creative to figure out the most economical way for you and your group to update, if you update at all. 

19 minutes ago, Unremarkable Cardboard Box said:

There is a big difference between being able to do a hard 3 and then make it a talon roll compared to just dialing in a talon. A lot of ships seem to be getting more green and getting talon rolls added. 

As far as i know, they changed the xwing and ywing, that's it. But i doesn't have time to read everything and watch video of the presentation untill late tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Otacon said:

I cannot imagine doing it piecemeal being cheaper, in total, at all. Instead of 3 sets of packaging and 3 sets of the punchboard sheets and cards, you have to account for, design packaging and sheets for, and produce 50+ individual kits to cover every existing ship in the game. There's no way in **** doubling the number of X-wing SKUs in one go ends up cheaper than doing them in bulk, for FFG or for us.

Well, you get conversions for 34 ships in the current kit.  At $50, that's basically $1.50 per kit.

I currently have 31 ships I'm looking to convert.  Even if they charged $2 per kit, it'd still only cost me $62.  ****, at $3 it would cost me $93.  That's STILL less than the $100 it's going to cost me currently.

I don't doubt it's cheaper for FFG this way, but it's sure not cheaper for me.

Edited by DarthEnderX

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

As someone who came late enough to only buy “1 of each” expansion, and then go back and buy a handful of doubles, this is about perfect.

I have one too many tie fighters, one too many xwings, and one too many Auzituck. Otherwise I’ll be great to go!

maybe I’ll trade if there is someone with not enough XYZ and I have too many but doesn’t have all the ties or xwings. 

Exact same situation I am in. One of each conversion kits should do nicely for me. 

3 hours ago, mrgandw said:

I think the numbers should reflect a mixture of what people generally run and what people would have a minimum of if they bought at least one of everything. Right now I would be short an X-Wing because of my transport. Maybe they plan to include stuff in an epic conversion later but I see it as an annoying cash grab on there part. 3 Decimators is just silly.

I'm fully expecting them to have the extra x wing in the epic rebel conversion pack, and 2 extra ties and one tie advanced in the imperial epic pack. If they do that, then numbers will work perfectly for people who have "one of each expansion, plus a few extra of the main ships" 

29 minutes ago, takfar said:

I'm fully expecting them to have the extra x wing in the epic rebel conversion pack, and 2 extra ties and one tie advanced in the imperial epic pack. If they do that, then numbers will work perfectly for people who have "one of each expansion, plus a few extra of the main ships" 

I would be ok with this. 

12 hours ago, Unremarkable Cardboard Box said:

Agreed. I've been playing for about a year, just casually. I don't buy everything and don't intend to. I really would like FF to sell not just large conversion kits but single-ship conversion kits. I fly Imperial mostly but have a few Rebel ships on hand to play with family and friends. I'm not going to buy a $90 kit where I don't have half the ships for that faction and don't intend to buy them. Spending even $5-10 on a single ship kit would be a better deal for me. $90 may be a "better deal" in terms of cost per ship conversion but if $40 of that is never used it's a waste of money. It does not seem cost effective at all to buy a new core set and 2 conversion kits to play a game I already own, especially when half of the material will be unused.

Edited by Scblair

10 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well, you get conversions for 34 ships in the current kit.  At $50, that's basically $1.50 per kit.

I currently have 31 ships I'm looking to convert.  Even if they charged $2 per kit, it'd still only cost me $62.  ****, at $3 it would cost me $93.  That's STILL less than the $100 it's going to cost me currently.

I don't doubt it's cheaper for FFG this way, but it's sure not cheaper for me.

I think this is going to really divide the casual players who don't buy everything (like me) and the competitive/tournament players who do. FF seems to be gearing this upgrade to the folks who are already all-in, expecting them to have everything and convert everything because they are going to play regardless of cost. It's also prime time for new players to jump in of course as they don't have any conversion concerns and can just start playing. But for folks like me who have a few of this and a few of that, buying a conversion kit where half of the cardboard isn't used will be a waste of money overall. The solution is either to release single ship conversion kits for a while at least, or else I'm buying all new expansion packs to replace my old ships. So in that case the "you won't have to replace all your ships" talk is nonsense.