DoubleOdd

My entry into X-wing...

About 2 months ago, I decided to finally give the X-wing Miniatures game a try after a few years of being on the fence about tabletop games in general... So I bought a TFA Core Set on sale from Amazon, mainly for the updated damage deck and rules. After a few weeks, I bought the Heroes of the Resistance set and some extra dice...also from Amazon. I had planned on making some resistance builds and I thought this would be a good place to start. A while passes and I start thinking about some variety; having imperial builds just in case. So I buy the Imperial Veterans pack and, later, I cave and get the TIE Silencer expansion. All the while, I'm looking up rules and some example squad builds to make sure that I don't go into this game cold. Finally, thinking I have a good grasp on what to do in X-wing, I start looking for places in NYC to play....

....AND THEN YOU PULL THIS "SECOND EDITION" S**T!

Now I learn that everything I did to get into the game has been rendered completely moot, since the damage deck has changed, the rules are different and (save for my Imperial Veterans Pack) ALL of my Fighters (including the HotR Millennium Falcon, since those are all Resistance pilot cards) are COMPLETELY USELESS until the 2nd wave of Second Edition comes out...whenever that is. On top of ALL of that, I have to get ANOTHER core set when Second Edition comes out for the rules and damage deck!

You could've given out a warning or something so new players like me would know to wait until this new version came out...but it feels like you didn't want players like me to even play!

rough time to come in

however we don't actually know if they're not releasing the res/FO kit at the same time as the Original Trilogy factions

I know they're not the same wave BUT Armada released two wave simultaneously before, so it's not beyond precedent

it's quite possible we'll get an announcement of resistance/FO stuff very shortly

Yeah I'm in the same boat, but as hedge said, this is the warning. It sucks for guys like us but they have to do what's best for the game. A lot of people have been clamoring for a 2.0 so hopefully this "fixes" the game.

This is frustrating, because now I have to buy ANOTHER Core Set, an Imperial conversion, a FO conversion, AND a Resistance conversion kit... 

Essentially, it means that I have to start all over again...

Edited by DoubleOdd

I just talked a new player into the game. He was about to buy a load of ships. I got to him today before he bought anything. Just in time!

I feel really bad for anyone else who got into the game recently.

Just visiting from the Armada forum to see what all the 2.0 fuss is about. Is X-wing 2.0 destined to be balanced or is that not yet known as I don't have time to read through loads of threads on the topic, though it could be a good time to finally give X-wing a go.

1 hour ago, Yosh6314 said:

Just visiting from the Armada forum to see what all the 2.0 fuss is about. Is X-wing 2.0 destined to be balanced or is that not yet known as I don't have time to read through loads of threads on the topic, though it could be a good time to finally give X-wing a go.

From what I can fathom, X-wing 2.0 is more of a hard reset as it adds things like medium base ships, Force tokens, eliminates point cost and upgrade slots on the cards, reassigns Pilot Skill levels, redesigns maneuver templates, gives all ships bullseye firing arcs, redesigns how turret primaries work, etc.

If you buy a Core Set now, like I did not long ago, the only thing(s) you can use from it at 2.0's launch are as follows:

Original:

The Model ships (requires Rebel/Imperial conversion kits)

The dice 

IDK if the maneuver templates can be used...

TFA Core:

The dice.

(See above about maneuver templates)