CBMarkham

X-Wing 2.0: They got everything right.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Does ANYBODY have any information on what they're doing with my favorite, the HWK-290? Any information at all? God I need that info.

yea, specifically Jan Ors! 

1 minute ago, Sithborg said:

99% sure it gets 2 Atk. 

Oh my god yes, does anybody know if it gets an upgraded dial? The HWK-290 is a FAST ship dammit!

1 minute ago, Wiredin said:

yea, specifically Jan Ors! 

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW OR HOW I CAN LEARN ; _ ;

IS THE DIAL BETTER

11 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Oh my god yes, does anybody know if it gets an upgraded dial? The HWK-290 is a FAST ship dammit!

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW OR HOW I CAN LEARN ; _ ;

IS THE DIAL BETTER

I heard that thee is a Rebel dial with a Reverse maneuver. It might be relevant.

Edit: it's probably the new falcon dial, though.

Edited by Rakaydos

1 minute ago, Sithborg said:

Umm, it has a green forward and a green backward. Now, we don't know what the attack power of the rear arc is, but I think the Lambda's rear arc being colored does say it has a rear arc attack rating. 

Yes, the Lambda has one, but not every ship

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

The Y-wing has a red reload action. Not sure what else does, but I would bet the Tie Bomber, Gunboat, Punisher, etc. 

Are you sure that's a Reload action, and not to rotate their turret?

Everything right is a stretch.

1) Bigger upgrade cards take a lot of room which is already quite limited at tournaments, and must take an extra amount of time to place on the table. They could have easily kept the small size format even with the additional action icons.

2) Could have used this chance to improve bad pilot skills, like Hobbie Klivian.

3) $290 msrp minimum buy in to transfer a full (but not huge) collection to 2.0 (5 factions + core). Increased costs overall (they got rid of K-wing sized booster ~$20 and forced those ships to become Silencer costed ~$30). This cost is increased exorbitantly for foreign countries. In my case, I would need two separate shipments of around $200 if I'm lucky with shipment cost, otherwise it would have to be three shipments of about $150, totalling $400-$450. Faction upgrade kit is binary, either you don't have it or you have it in a prefixed quantity. There was no reason for them to have included 3 Decimator upgrade kits, which only drives the cost upwards. I would have prefered it broke down into smaller packages. This cost is reduced by a bit because we will get no new waves, only updates, for a while, but it is still asking for a year's worth of waves payment in advance. When new waves released, I could skip some that were boring, like Kimogila. I cannot choose to skip any of these in order to fully upgrade. If you pass a bit, like I have 3 defenders, I would need another kit. This cost to upgrade is something that can't be avoided, but it is still a consideration to take into account. It is a cost that must have happened for 2.0 to exist, but it is still a cost, that can be quite high. To those saying you can just buy one faction... If there was no 2.0, I could have kept playing with everything at a competitive level. They are forcing 2.0 on the competitive scene, limiting my options unless I invest upfront money that I can't assign that fast. Waiting until 2020 to finally be able to play with everything again is not ideal. Now suppose I do it progressively and I pick a weak faction. I'm doomed. Either FFG relies too much on playtester input, which appears biased towards rebels, or they keep making design mistakes printing overpowered supports after another. Even reinforce is still in 2.0.

4) They have reduced the power level a lot across the board. This is actually bad. MTG is like XW 1.0 and Hearthstone is like XW 2.0. Even though you have a designer with decades' worth of experience designing MTG expansions telling the hearthstone newbies to don't be afraid to print powerful cards, because it is worse to have players bored than an imbalanced game, the hearthstone team kept making the game more boring in an effort to try to create a perfect balance (which can never be achieved in any of these kind of games). Too much polishing is bland, and worse in this iteration when they can just hotfix anything that becomes too oppressing. It is a platform to be more adventurous, not more restrained.

5) Games will take forever to play, and you won't get a sense of feeling powerful. I foresee that playing for winning on time (whichever method they choose to determine winner after time limit) will be the best strategy. I couldn't even finish watching the two hour covenant game. It was so boring. Dudes were so excited about playing with nerfed krennic and two tubes combo which was, quite frankly, sad. I don't see 'higher threat level' builds being too different.

6) You need an app or connection to internet or know someone who does, at some point, regularly, to get the updates on costs.

Now, they also get some things right, so let's give credit:

1) 360 is gone. Turrets are mobile arc selectors. Facing will become relevant once more.

2) Medium bases. It will be less likely for players to accidentally move ships, and is mechanically sound.

3) Turn sequence cleanup. Bombs have a specific phase in which they can be dropped, so no unfair shenanigans.

4) Players can invest into a single faction. They admit you will not need another faction's upgrade cards. I think unless everything is restricted to faction, ships or slots to be impossible, but it should be at least less likely.

5) Increased tournament kit support, and stores can customize tournaments.

6) The app allows hotfixes (FAQ's) to be easier on both the designers and the players. Modifying costs was always the best path to take, instead of modifying effects.

If I had done it, I would have kept every pro, kept con 6, be more daring in the design of powerful effects, kept upgrades to a small size (reducing printing costs or at least shipping costs), and be more reasonable with the upgrade kit. You could break it down to small, medium and large bases, as an example. I also would have not required the 2.0 core to be mandatory, so the deck would be optional like the TFA Core, and I wouldn't have changed how the rulers are printed or how barrel roll works in order to keep it optional.

7 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Yes, because it's right next to the Ion Cannon Turret, which grants a white Rotate action.

And a turret would need the rotate turret action, not the reload ordnance action, right? So it’s most likely the rotate action. 

4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

And a turret would need the rotate turret action, not the reload ordnance action, right? So it’s most likely the rotate action. 

Yes. And since the sumbols were different, that means the combined ship has both.

2 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

The new upgrades may take more room for storage, but they don't seem to take up that much more room when you display them as intended. Plus, the redesign allows them to add various actions. 

They don't fit my card pages. So I need new ones, while I actually have already $50 worth of pages left. Not happy about that change. Especially as it will take time to have pilot+upgrade card pages again. Those were brilliant, but with a new format we get screwed over here. More money down the drain. Did they not learn from Armada that this odd card formats are driving literally people away because it's awkward to store lists, while so convenient for X-Wing tournaments? 

But let me not rant about it now. It's to late for that anyway. 

1 minute ago, SEApocalypse said:

They don't fit my card pages. So I need new ones, while I actually have already $50 worth of pages left. Not happy about that change. Especially as it will take time to have pilot+upgrade card pages again. Those were brilliant, but with a new format we get screwed over here. More money down the drain. Did they not learn from Armada that this odd card formats are driving literally people away because it's awkward to store lists, while so convenient for X-Wing tournaments? 

But let me not rant about it now. It's to late for that anyway. 

Good thing they changed it so everything uses standard MTG card sheets now.

2 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Good thing they changed it so everything uses standard MTG card sheets now.

So the upgrade cards are as big as the pilot cards? They looked still smaller to me. I would be happy to hear that. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

7 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

So the upgrade cards are as big as the pilot cards? They looked still smaller to me. I would be happy to hear that. 

6 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

The size I heard was LCG standard.

Which, yes, is standard card size (or SLIGHTLY narrower, imperial assault cards aren’t quite the same size, but close)

As an additional point, the packaging is apparently indicating only FFG “grey” sleeves are needed, and their grey sleeves are regular card size (as opposed to the yellow that is used for mini-American size)

Edited by Forgottenlore