Sign in to follow this  
Kinjo

Point Increase coming?

13 minutes ago, Kinjo said:

With more commanders being released do you all think we can expect the new cap to be 1000-1200 soon?

I would like it at 1000 myself.

Once more expansions are released and I have over 800 points for both factions, I definitely will be wanting to play at 1000 points over 800. 1000 will allow for 2 commanders with plenty of other units.

I dont see them putting the cap over 800 points, at least not for a long time. They are going to have tournaments and organized play for it so they probably figured out in play testing that 800 points was a good sweet spot of finishing the game or getting to round 6 within a certain time frame. But in casual play, it seems like they are inferring to just play however you like.

38 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

What is wrong with 800?  It forces you to make hard decisions about what units to include, which I think is a good thing.

If anything, as the new commanders are cheaper, they will give you more list building flexibility within the 800 cap.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Putting every single unit on the table and having a gargantuan battle sounds fun, but I've found it more often than not a chore to play out to the end in most wargames, and found that it strips the strategy out of the game leaving just the tactics in huge quantities.

Having to leave some tools at home and making the most out of a limited points budget is part of the game, for me, and it's the points value (I assume) the designers test and balance the units around.

Deciding what NOT to take is often as hard a choice as deciding what TO take, and I love it.

Armada struggles competitively because of the length of the average game. Increasing points will put legion into the same problematic boat. I’d love more points but I reckon that will be a casual play only scenario. 

Wait and see, happy to be wrong!

Unlikely.  They never increased the point cost for X-Wing (until 2.0), haven't increased it for IA, and everyone knew it was going to go up for Armada before the game was released. 

The only reason it went up was because they didnta have the large ships out yet. 

Almost all of the 800 point games I've played take 2+ hours.  To keep time reasonable, and to make the list building interesting as more units come out, I think 800 points is fine.  

Maybe the points limit could be a seasonal change, play 800 for then next 3 months, then 850, latter 1000 then back to 800. I would rather that than a hard fixed cap.

However, if it is to be a hard fixed cap I am finding 800 to be fun. More so as the numbers of commanders and units are added to.

2 hours ago, Orkimedes said:

What is wrong with 800?  It forces you to make hard decisions about what units to include, which I think is a good thing.

If anything, as the new commanders are cheaper, they will give you more list building flexibility within the 800 cap.

800 points doesn’t just limit choice, it also limits how deep a game feels.  

Even if the point cap was 1200 there would still be plenty of choices to make and list building strategery to work out.

The force organization chart would need retooling but that wouldn’t be hard.

Changing point value slightly in very limited situations provide a more challenging game. I think 800 works best in tournaments, especially given force composition.  Another option is to have a "sideboard" to add a little variation at times. I could see swapping out speeder bikes for two squads. 

I don't think so, that points will be raised in the next time. The 800 points let you build very different lists and it is possible to bring a game to an end in 2-4 hours. We've played 1200 points per site (4x600 points game with 4 players) and we've need nearly 6 hours. I think the time will not raise linear and so the game duration will be to high with more points.

I actually think another way to handle this, is drop the mandatory 3 troopers. Even with 1 commander and 3 trooper units, I find I can really only take one or *MAYBE* two other units, depending on how upgrade-starved I want to be, and that doesn't feel like I have much choice. I totally agree that a points cap helps force you to make decisions while listbuilding, I really feel that 800 its JUST a bit too tight, points-wise. The only time I feel like I have options to play with are when I compleatly remove Luke or Vader from the game; if I want flexibility in my listbuilding, I flat out cannot chose them as my commander, and that just feels ****.

I hope not, the game takes long enough at 800 points. And there needs to be a limit on how much people can take. I don't want this to turn into 40k where games can last forever and you have a cluster **** hole taking place on the table.