NeverBetTheFett

What a smack in the face...

4 minutes ago, StriderZessei said:

On the X-Wing subreddit, it sounds like more fatigued players are actually coming back.

This is just about what everyone was asking for.

They were asking for a 50 USD conversion kit per faction? Which you need multiple copies of, depending what you want to play.

Same here, I know it sucks for people with large collections to have to buy lots of conversion packs, but I dropped this game after playing it for the first 2 years and I'm happy about this announcement.  Not going to buy anything until I see more rules and cards though.

To take the sting out of buying tons of conversions up front, you only need to buy enough to cover what you're using at the same time.

Each conversion kit contains enough stuff to convert a minimum of TWO of every current ship and as many as FOUR of each swarm ship (TIE/ln, Z95, M3a).  That is a METRIC F***TON of dials, pilot cards and base-chits. 90% of 100/6 players can get by with one conversion for their faction.  If you insist on running 7xCrackTies or naked BBBBZ, then you'll need two copies and that will cover every conceivable 100 point list.  For how much stuff is in the box, these are almost certainly loss-leaders, and probably the most efficient way to make the game 100% backward compatible at launch.

What would have REALLY alienated players is if all our models became obsolete. 

> They were asking for a 50 USD conversion kit per faction?

Yes, we absolutely were, because it is probably the most cost-effective way to move forward.  Some of us can math.

2 minutes ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

> They were asking for a 50 USD conversion kit per faction?

Yes, we absolutely were, because it is probably the most cost-effective way to move forward.  Some of us can math.

What we're saying is that there is no reason for the kit to be that expensive. In a vacuum, paying $50 to get most of my Rebels playable isn't a bad price. What is a bad price is paying $200 + the new core to get fully playable for Rebels and Imperials. But wait, there's more! We don't even have the cost to convert Resistance and First Order yet, since those aren't included.

And while, yes, there will be a ton of tokens, cards, etc in the box, none of those things are inherently expensive to produce. At most FFG is paying $10 per box production costs. So this is coming off as a cash grab.

4 minutes ago, Werewolf_nr said:

What we're saying is that there is no reason for the kit to be that expensive.

Look at the list again. It contains plates, dials, and pilot cards for dozens of ships. To say nothing of the upgrade cards and bases. That's entirely in keeping with the amount of cardboard and plastic you get for a $60 dollar board game. This stuff costs money to make. 

Edited by Brianish

5 minutes ago, Werewolf_nr said:

What we're saying is that there is no reason for the kit to be that expensive. In a vacuum, paying $50 to get most of my Rebels playable isn't a bad price. What is a bad price is paying $200 + the new core to get fully playable for Rebels and Imperials. But wait, there's more! We don't even have the cost to convert Resistance and First Order yet, since those aren't included.

And while, yes, there will be a ton of tokens, cards, etc in the box, none of those things are inherently expensive to produce. At most FFG is paying $10 per box production costs. So this is coming off as a cash grab.

Yep because production costs only include the material cost of physically printing the thing.  No costs for hiring people to design the stuff that's being produced... oh wait.

Edited by Ken-Obi

2 minutes ago, Brianish said:

Look at the list again. It contains plates, dials, and pilot cards for dozens of ships. To say nothing of the upgrade cards and bases. That's entirely in keeping with the amount of cardboard and plastic you get for a $60 dollar board game. This stuff costs money to make. 

Yup.  I mean, say you buy two faction kits - for $100, that's reasonable for new boardgames (I mean, have you seen Kickstarter, lately?)

For that price, you are getting an entirely new game, better balanced, with hundreds of upgrades and dozens of ships.

That's awesome value.

2 minutes ago, Brianish said:

Maybe, but that's a board game that is custom built and probably doing a single run. Also, that board game will generally contain more than these boxes. Granted, that's a guess because we haven't actually seen it, but I don't think that you will be borne out in the end.

1 minute ago, Ken-Obi said:

Yep because production costs only include the material cost of physically printing the thing.  No costs for hiring people to design the stuff that's being produced... oh wait.

Not at all, I'm sure the boat ride from China costs more than the actual printing. Play testing, as best I can tell, is done largely by select members of the community. Art is being carried over. So yeah, I stand by my point.

4 minutes ago, Werewolf_nr said:

Granted, that's a guess because we haven't actually seen it, but I don't think that you will be borne out in the end.

1 minute ago, Brianish said:

Literally my entire point was that this is not true. 

I already addressed that, I don't have proof, you don't have proof. We'll have to agree to disagree until things come out. (Doesn't even touch upon our opinions on the value of a $60 board game, which probably also differ).