Jump to content
Lomiat

Share Your Questions About X-Wing™ Second Edition Here

Recommended Posts

Anyone have ANY idea how to remedy a Vassal error claiming I don’t have my mod file in a writeable location? I do, and I’m running under Admin and I’ve reistalled 3 times now. Honestly, it’s a TERRIBLE laptop I’m borrowing running Vista and just launching Firefox makes me want to punch myself. I have ZERO patience for slow PCs, but I’m away from home atm and don’t have access to anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, maybe I’m missing something obvious, but how do I find out which card is in which expansion? Like if I want Palp crew, how can I quickly find out what I need to buy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, K-2SO said:

So, maybe I’m missing something obvious, but how do I find out which card is in which expansion? Like if I want Palp crew, how can I quickly find out what I need to buy? 

A good resource: https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures:_Second_Edition_Wiki

Look under upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, DXCrazytrain said:

What prize kit should we be using for store championships? 

I'm trying to coordinate 4 store championships and all 4 stores are asking me what prize kit to order. Can anyone please let me know what to tell them?

Edited by DXCrazytrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, folks.

As is the case with my questions: I don't know if this has been posted, and I apologize if it has. If you could kindly direct me to where I may have missed the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

With that said, I have a question about the Y-Wing found in "Most Wanted" for Scum and Villainy. If I wanted more, would I have to purchase the (ugh) Rebel Y-Wing to help flesh out my Scum squads? Or does anyone know if they plan on releasing anymore of this fighter for S&V? Or is it way too early to tell..?

I mean, I COULD purchase the (ugh) Rebel Y-Wing, but I've gone this long in finishing my Galactic Empire, Scum & Villainy and First Order sets with as little Rebel / Resistance fighters as possible (aside from the X-wings from the core sets). It's more an aesthetic than it is anything else. On top of that, I don't think that purchasing anymore Y-Wings (right now) will give me any extra Quick Builds for S&V Y-Wings.

Does any of this make sense?

Thank you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steamdragon said:

Hello, folks.

As is the case with my questions: I don't know if this has been posted, and I apologize if it has. If you could kindly direct me to where I may have missed the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

With that said, I have a question about the Y-Wing found in "Most Wanted" for Scum and Villainy. If I wanted more, would I have to purchase the (ugh) Rebel Y-Wing to help flesh out my Scum squads? Or does anyone know if they plan on releasing anymore of this fighter for S&V? Or is it way too early to tell..?

I mean, I COULD purchase the (ugh) Rebel Y-Wing, but I've gone this long in finishing my Galactic Empire, Scum & Villainy and First Order sets with as little Rebel / Resistance fighters as possible (aside from the X-wings from the core sets). It's more an aesthetic than it is anything else. On top of that, I don't think that purchasing anymore Y-Wings (right now) will give me any extra Quick Builds for S&V Y-Wings.

Does any of this make sense?

Thank you again.

We have no information on release plans beyond what has been publicly stated on ffgs website.

So, there is no way to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

We have no information on release plans beyond what has been publicly stated on ffgs website.

So, there is no way to know.

I figured as much. I thought I'd ask at least. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, everyone!  It's been a long time since I last played X-wing, and I've been thinking about getting back into it.  I don't have anything from 2.0, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get the new core set or not.  I saw that FFG is releasing standalone damage decks.  If I get one of these damage decks and some conversion kits, will that be enough?  Is there anything else I'll be missing from the core set?  Are all the pilots, upgrades, and tokens available in the conversion kits?  I assume I can read the updated rules online, so I shouldn't need a physical copy of that.  Can I reuse my existing maneuver templates and range finder?


Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, TurtleFreak said:

Hi, everyone!  It's been a long time since I last played X-wing, and I've been thinking about getting back into it.  I don't have anything from 2.0, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get the new core set or not.  I saw that FFG is releasing standalone damage decks.  If I get one of these damage decks and some conversion kits, will that be enough?  Is there anything else I'll be missing from the core set?  Are all the pilots, upgrades, and tokens available in the conversion kits?  I assume I can read the updated rules online, so I shouldn't need a physical copy of that.  Can I reuse my existing maneuver templates and range finder?


Thanks!

Visit the wiki page for the X-Wing Core Set to see what's in the core set.

You'll be missing the new maneuver templates that have a line down the middle (which is needed for the new way bumping is managed, and the horizontal line on the 1 straight is used for some barrel roll stuff).  But that doesn't matter if you plan on buying the fancy acrylic ones (tend to be around 15 - 20 bucks) or FFG's plastic ones (I'm told they're clumsy to work with), or if someone can give you their spares.

The rules are best read online; the core set comes with a much-simplified version that is far from complete.  The Rules Reference and Official Rulings are the final word.

 

There are pilots and upgrades exclusive to the core:

  • Luke Skywalker (T-65)
  • Jek Porkins
  • Iden Versio
  • Valen Rudor
  • Night Beast

Upgrades:

  • Instinctive Aim
  • Sense
  • R2-D2 (astromech)
  • R5-D8

Luke, Jek, Iden, and R2-D2 are pretty worth having, IMO.

If you want these, you might be able to find someone who has duplicates who will give 'em to you (if they bought two cores).  Technically they're also for sale in various venues.  But if you're buying everything, you could easily spend more than it's worth (might be better to just buy the core yourself).  So only buy if there's just a card or two you need.  The other option is to simply proxy the stuff you don't have -- this is almost always accepted except at tournaments, and it can save you a massive amount of money long-term.  You can build and print lists with YASB so you don't need to pull out cards, and as long as you have the dial, you can proxy the base with another pilot's and just work it out.  Most people are fine with this, in my experience; we all know how expensive this game gets.

 

Other stuff to hold onto from first edition are bomb/mine tokens (as they're only in a few expansions, not in the conversion kits), and any acrylic tokens you like.  Just remember that token shape & color in 2.0 has changed and it matters quite a lot now -- round tokens are removed at the end of the round (yes, the rule is based on a pun to make it more memorable, and that's fantastic!), colors have meaning and effects target them, etc -- so you'll want to remember what the real color is for old acrylic tokens that don't follow the new rules.

 

BTW, if proxying isn't your thing, you might want to pick up the core.  It's $40 (or $34 on Miniature Market and maybe lower elsewhere) and comes with maneuver templates, range ruler, all the components for 2 TIEs and an X-Wing, and copies of multiple cards exclusive to the core.  But that's 40 bucks you don't need if proxying is fine and you're getting maneuver templates and a deck separately anyway.

 

Lastly, The Wiki has lots of other great resources, so I hope you'll check it out!  I and several other people help manage it and it's a great way to look up information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome summary, thank you!  Based on that, I think I'll go ahead and pick up the core set along with the rest.  I don't really need more ships, but maybe I'll use them in epic mode now that the huge ships are being converted.  This is kinda my last hurrah for this game in terms of purchases.  I just want to get all my stuff updated for 2.0 so I can play with the new streamlined rules.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...