Lomiat

Share Your Questions About X-Wing™ Second Edition Here

2 minutes ago, 18ecos said:

Where do you get the T-70 paint at? I bought the t-70 expansion but the paint (can’t think of the actual name) wasn’t in the pack. Do you get it in the resistance conversion kit?

The Black One (Poe's T-70) paint job? That is from the 1.0 Heros of the Resistance multi-ship pack.

I’ve got the black one paint job from that expansion but it’s for 2.0 that I’m thinking of. It’s a upgrade card exclusive to the t-70. Wish I could remember what it’s called.

3 minutes ago, 18ecos said:

I’ve got the black one paint job from that expansion but it’s for 2.0 that I’m thinking of. It’s a upgrade card exclusive to the t-70. Wish I could remember what it’s called.

Ferrosphere Paint?

3 minutes ago, 18ecos said:

Found it! This is what I was thinking of. What does this card come packaged with? The conversion kit or something else?

4FF78E3E-644B-4C3B-A397-4511BF0D099A.png

Is there any news yet on Saw's Renegades and the TIE Reaper being re-released? Preferably with 2.0 packaging but more importantly with Saw's X-Wings S-Foils done better?

There's been no word, but seeing as they classify Saw's Renegades and the Reaper as Wave 0 as they both came with 2.0 components, I don't think they'll be a high priority for re-release.

9 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Rules Question:

Does the Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede need to have the Phantom title to start docked or to dock?

Ghost (Title) says: "You can dock 1 [...] shuttle." Phantom (Title) says: "You can dock at Range 0-1."

Note the different language for the Hound's Tooth ("1 Z-95 [...] can dock with you") and Lando's MF ("1 Escape Craft may dock with you").

In the case of both Lando's MF and Hound's Tooth, the language gives both power to dock and power to be docked with.  The Ghost, by contrast, only gives the power to be docked with.  The power to dock seems to only reside in the Phantom title.

Why does that matter?  Because the RR says:

An Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede (without the Phantom title) does not seem to be a ship "capable of docking."

Everyone assumes that any Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede can dock to the Ghost, but the Ghost doesn't actually say that.  But maybe it means to say that?  Why is the language different?  Is it just FFG not being consistent?  Very possibly.  So, normally in cases where I'm not sure of a rule, I look to intent, but in this case that doesn't help.

Maybe FFG intends Ghost and Phantom to only work together?  Maybe FFG doesn't intend that?  I can't tell, and there are decent arguments both ways.

So, to repeat:

Does the Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede need to have the Phantom title to start docked or to dock?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as the intent is almost certainly to have the phantom able to dock with the ghost and start docked with the ghost.  FFG is just being inconsistent with wording.  I can't see any TO ruling otherwise without official word from FFG instructing them to do otherwise.

Only the Ghost title is necessary to dock a shuttle in the VCX. The Phantom title just grants you extra range to dock : range 0-1 instead of range 0 normally.

44 minutes ago, Ximatique said:

Only the Ghost title is necessary to dock a shuttle in the VCX. The Phantom title just grants you extra range to dock : range 0-1 instead of range 0 normally.

That's what everyone assumes.  The entire question is whether that's what the language actually says, and, if not, whether that's what it's intended to say.  Simply repeating the assumption, without addressing the reasons the assumption might be incorrect, doesn't help.

The Question
Can an Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede without the Phantom title dock with a VCX-100 equipped with the Ghost title?

The Way It Is Assumed By Most People to Work
Yes, because the Ghost title says, “You can dock 1 [...] shuttle.”  Most players have assumed that to allow the shuttle to dock with Ghost, as well.

Put Aside the Above Preconception, If You Have It
Do not assume that the way you think it is is the way it actually reads, Rules-As-Written, nor that it is necessarily the way it was intended.  Read the argument.  I don’t have a dog in this fight, as to how this shakes out.  I don’t care if the answer is “yes,” or “no.”  My only interest is in showing that the language is bad, that if read strictly it does not allow a non-Phantom shuttle to dock with Ghost, and that -- in light of the assumptions by most players -- it needs to be clarified.

The Rules
The relevant rules for docking:

Some abilities allow a ship to be attached to or ride inside another ship. If a card ability instructs a ship to dock with a carrier ship, the docked ship is placed in reserve. A docked ship is able to deploy from its carrier ship during the System Phase by performing the following steps:

[...]

Additionally:

• Ships capable of docking can start the game docked. Before the Place Forces step of setup, that player must declare which ships are docked and the ships they are docked to.

The rule for the Hound’s Tooth title:

1 Z-95-AF4 Headhunter can dock with you.

The rule for the Lando’s Millennium Falcon title:

1 Escape Craft may dock with you.

The rule for the Ghost title:    

You can dock 1 Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede-class shuttle.

The rules for the Phantom title:

You can dock at range 0-1.

The Argument

• The “Ability to Dock”

In multiple places, the rules above reference “an ability” to dock.  (“Some abilities allow a ship to be attached to … “, “Ships capable of docking.”)  This strongly implies that the capability to dock with a carrier ship inheres in the docking ship.  It is not iron-clad.  It is a very strong implication.  It may simply be FFG being imprecise with language.  It may not be.  In any case, the rules reference the “ability” of a ship to dock, or it needing to be “capable” of docking.

• Source of the Ability to Dock?

In the case of the Hound’s Tooth or Lando’s Millennium Falcon, this is simple: the title grants the ability to be a carrier to the equipped ship, and it grants the ability to dock to the proper ship type: “1 [ship] can/may dock with you.”  Note that this is explicitly giving the “ability to dock” to a Z-95 or to an Escape Craft.

The Ghost title, however, does not do that.  It says “You can dock 1 [...] shuttle.”  It certainly, and easily, could have said, “1 Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede-class shuttle can dock with you,” and this argument would be unnecessary.  But it does not say that.

The Ghost title gives no power or “ability” to any ship other than the VCX-100 to which it is equipped.  In short, it allows the Ghost to be a carrier.

• But Isn’t “You Can Dock X” the Same As “X Can Dock With You”?

No, it’s not the same.  To use a crude example that should resonate with most people, “You can have sex with any willing person,” is not the same as, “Any willing person can have sex with you.”

“You can [dock|have sex with] an [Attack|Sheathipede-class|willing] [shuttle|person]” is not saying the same thing as “1 [willing|Attack|Sheathipede-class] [person|shuttle] can [have sex|dock] with you.”

If you still cannot see how these are different, and why that difference is important, then you must be extremely popular at certain types of parties.

• So How Does a Shuttle Get the “Ability to Dock”?

Currently, the only way appears to be to take the Phantom title, which says, “You can dock at range 0-1.”  Note that this title is specifically giving an ability to the Phantom: the ability to dock, and the ability to do so at range 0-1.  Note that this title, although it doesn’t specify what carrier the Phantom can dock with, does not strictly have to, because being a carrier is, itself, its own ability.  The only ship that has the ability to allow the Phantom-equipped shuttle to dock is the Ghost-equipped VCX-100.

Again, “docking” requires two abilities, one on each ship: the ability to serve as a carrier, and the ability to dock with a carrier.

Hound’s Tooth and Lando’s Millennium Falcon are worded in such a way that both abilities are granted with one card.  Ghost is worded in such a way that only the carrier ability is granted … to the equipped VCX-100.  To be “capable of docking,” an Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede-class shuttle must equip the Phantom title.

Why Does It Matter?
Well, the Phantom title currently (4/25/19) costs 2 points.  Given that one of the primary ways people use the Ghost is as a ship with both front and rear firing arcs (when a shuttle is docked), it is relevant as to how much that ability costs.  This is the primary practical reason it matters.

Surely This Isn’t What FFG Intended?
I honestly don’t have any idea.  I could see FFG intending it to be okay that the Ghost can be a carrier for any shuttle.  I can also see FFG intending that the Ghost title work only in conjunction with the Phantom title.

From my point of view, what FFG intended is irrelevant to some extent: all that matters to me is that the rules match what they’re intended to say, as the VCX-100, Attack Shuttle, and Sheathipede-class shuttle move toward being Hyperspace legal.

Ved Foslo's ability:

While you execute a maneuver, you may execute a maneuver of the same bearing and difficulty of a speed 1 higher or lower instead.

I believe I am getting caught up in the wording here, but does this mean that you can only change your chosen manoeuvre to one that is on the ship's dial and is the same bearing and difficulty as the manoeuvre that you had dialled in?

Example 1 - I dial in a left 2 bank (which is blue) when Ved activates I can therefore only choose between the dialled left 2 bank, or a left 1 bank (which is also blue)but not the left 3 bank because it is white on the dial?

Or can I change my blue left 2 bank to a blue left 3 bank because it is the same bearing and difficulty and 1 speed higher as my dialled in move? (Which is what happened in 1st Edition)

Example 2 - I dial in a left 2 turn (which is which) when Ved activates I can therefore only choose between the dialled left 2 turn, or a left 3 turn (which is also which) as they are the only turns on the dial?

Or can I change my white left 2 turn into a white 1 turn, which isn't not the dial, because it is a manoeuvre that is the same bearing and difficulty as my dialled in move and is one speed lower? (again like in 1st Ed).

Posted (edited)

You can change to any legal manoeuvre. I.e. you can change a 2 turn to a 1 or a 3 turn, but you can't change a 3 turn to a 4 turn because it doesn't exist. And you can't change anything to a stop because it's not the same bearing as any forward move.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

What happens if you ionize a Vulture Droid with Grapplers on a rock?   

I can see you stay as you would only leave on a 2 forward. 

I can see you roll off at 1 forward due to it superseding the Grappllers.

It doesn't set a dial, so the trigger for the Struts to ignore the Manoeuvre step is never met, so it does a 1 forward and cannot take an action because it cannot focus.

Then it flips the card.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Just a casual here. A few days ago Hairy Nick mentioned card packs for new cards in the 2e expansions. However, he seemed to imply that none of the second edition re-releases, except those from wave 1 which were in the conversion kits, had any new pilots or upgrades included. Is this true? 

1 minute ago, Hedgehobbit said:

Just a casual here. A few days ago Hairy Nick mentioned card packs for new cards in the 2e expansions. However, he seemed to imply that none of the second edition re-releases, except those from wave 1 which were in the conversion kits, had any new pilots or upgrades included. Is this true? 

To date yes. Wave 4 and 5 look to be continuing the trend. Hopefully Wave 6 or 7 will be different.

R4 Astromech reduces the difficulty of the maneuver, but not the physical color on the physical dial.  I've seen arguments for both, for this not working and others saying it does... how do you guys feel? Is there a consensus?

R4 on Cova Neil (Resistance Transport) and Cova does a 1 hard (red on dial but white with R4)... does she get the extra dice?

R4: Decrease the difficulty of your speed 1-2 basic maneuvers (Hard Left, Bank Left, Straight, Bank Right, Hard Right).
Cova: While you defend or perform a primary attack, if your revealed maneuver is red, roll 1 additional die.

If i were playing against it, I'd say it works. You reveal a red maneuver, R4 decreases the difficulty, you perform a white hard turn. So, the revealed move is still red. But, that's just my interpretation and could very well be wrong.